Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? (32659 Views)

See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep / Policemen In Trouble, Offer Sacrifice For Arresting Spiritual Drummers In Lagos / Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 17, 2019
What about people who drown in Hotel Swimming Pools? What happens to their corpse?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Britishcoins(m): 10:15am On Oct 17, 2019
According my great grand father, it is done so in order to prevent future occurrence in any of the family members. That why a river is one of the most dangerous place to take an oath. Their are so many dangerous spirits that are in Rivers

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by pyro62(m): 10:18am On Oct 17, 2019
May her soul rest in peace.

Nigeria and Africa general are very superstitious.. They believe if the sacrifice is not made, other members of her family would die by that same means. Thus the sacrifice. I asked this question when I was in owerri, and this was the answer I got. Also she'll be buried close to the river.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Patrioticman007(m): 10:18am On Oct 17, 2019
EzekaUdenee:

you see why I love Christianity
this is the same babaric religion people are clamoring for us to go back

What of the blood sacrifice ?. What of the graphic image of a battered man with blood over him, kids are not meant to see that brutality. That's why we have many cases of mass shooters in the west because of these blood of a thing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Acidosis(m): 10:21am On Oct 17, 2019
So the river goddess is also incharge of swimming pools, drainage systems, canals and flood caused by rainfall?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Acidosis(m): 10:22am On Oct 17, 2019
AryaSand:
What about people who drown in Hotel Swimming Pools? What happens to their corpse?

You appease the Hotel Management for killing your relative grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by BetterChurch: 10:23am On Oct 17, 2019
Britishcoins:
According my great grand father, it is done so in order to prevent future occurrence in any of the family members. That why a river is one of the most dangerous place to take an oath. Their are so many dangerous spirits that are in Rivers

Your great grand father was a wise man

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by bbamusa: 10:24am On Oct 17, 2019
EzekaUdenee:

you said a Yoruba for that matter, it is unislamic mind you. the Islamic Jurisprudence is that what they did is just like shooting gun into a well. arrant nonsense..... it is idol worshiping trace, a good muslim will not do that.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by midnighter(f): 10:25am On Oct 17, 2019
this is a very interesting topic

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un for the poor lady...what an awful way to die

Water is a very spiritual element...both vital and dangerous

But what actually happened? How does one manage to drown because of rain

1 Like

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by EzekaUdenee: 10:25am On Oct 17, 2019
bbamusa:

you said a Yoruba for that matter, it is unislamic mind you. the Islamic Jurisprudence is that what they did is just like shooting gun into a well. arrant nonsense..... it is idol worshiping trace, a good muslim will not do that.
yes you're right

95% of yeroba Muslims are fake Muslims
that's why northern Muslims don't take yeroba Muslims serious

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by nwamabo247(m): 10:26am On Oct 17, 2019
never heard of such.....please forgive me if i can help myself i wont be begging for help.PLEASE nairalanders my name is celestine nwankwo 28YRS OLD from ugwueme awgu L.G.A. enugu stat For almost 12yrs now i have been down with with tetraplegic spinal cord injure.no source of income because my fingers are partialy afected i have been living on family support especially my ageing mother who has been nursing me at home for all this while. but right now things are very very difficut for me and my mother who is also diabetic expecially feeding and litle medications,buying of catheters and health care needs.please i need your help in any way posible no matter how small it will make a diffrence and i am also looking for a goverment or N G O rehabilitation center for the disables that can acept my kind condition. thanks and GOD BLESS. more details.see my signature below
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by klax(m): 10:26am On Oct 17, 2019
EzekaUdenee:
babaric angry

And that was how some fulani allowed their useless cows to climbed a sacred hill of a traditional diety in Ondo State and got struck by heavy thunder and 39 cows were dead, I guess that is babaric too because everything is babaric to you.

If you know it's babaric go without permission and climb the hill in Ijare in Ondo State where those useless cows were struck by thunder then you will understand the meaning of babaric bro.

Pls learn always learn I'm not idol worshipper but when something is a culture so be it and must be respected.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by dallyemmy: 10:31am On Oct 17, 2019
...BECAUSE OF WHAT WE BELIEVE...
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by fykes(m): 10:34am On Oct 17, 2019
jokinexcel:
In most cultures it’s widely believed that when someone drowned in a river he/she is “collected “ by the river goddess, so it’s now a property of the goddess, so if you want to take back the person’s corpse from her you have to appease her and seek her permission otherwise she will get angry and kill more members of that family holding her property until the corpse is exhumed and returned back to her. Be warned this is not my handwriting oooo, I was told by an elder, so don’t attack me. I don’t even believe in the existence of the so called goddess
Man u should believe in their existence.... The Marine kingdom is as real as the danfo u see in gidi.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by yrex01(m): 10:35am On Oct 17, 2019
EzekaUdenee:

yeye, it's ur religion that will dance with corp n hit his head in every angle of the casket that is not barbaric. Goan sit down !!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by cybriz82(m): 10:36am On Oct 17, 2019
jokinexcel:
In most cultures it’s widely believed that when someone drowned in a river he/she is “collected “ by the river goddess, so it’s now a property of the goddess, so if you want to take back the person’s corpse from her you have to appease her and seek her permission otherwise she will get angry and kill more members of that family holding her property until the corpse is exhumed and returned back to her. Be warned this is not my handwriting oooo, I was told by an elder, so don’t attack me. I don’t even believe in the

existence of the so called goddess

So when ur elders dey tell u the story why u no shout Na lie jurrr!!!
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by spencekat(m): 10:37am On Oct 17, 2019
yrex01:
yeye, it's ur religion that will dance with corp n hit his head in every angle of the casket that is not barbaric. Goan sit down !!
It is not religion,it is determined by those burying the corpse.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by kazyhm(m): 10:38am On Oct 17, 2019
EzekaUdenee:
yes you're right

95% of yeroba Muslims are fake Muslims
that's why northern Muslims don't take yeroba Muslims serious

Lol....see your life

1 Like

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Oyindaberry(f): 10:39am On Oct 17, 2019
Herrymax:
A man got drowned in a river for my area
Both the man and every of his properties were buried beside the river
Bros easy na! shocked Even his properties?���
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by 11thGoldTREE: 10:39am On Oct 17, 2019
AryaSand:
pool is like ward council .. Atimes most cases are not transferred to the local government cheesy Osun goddess is like the local government
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Aarenasbaba(m): 10:39am On Oct 17, 2019
dayo229:
My neighbor, a woman was drowned few days ago due to heavy rainfall. Her body was found 3 days later in a near by river across our street.

What surprises me is that when they want bury her, etutu (sacrifice) was performed by osun people (they wore white clothes and in beads). This woman I'm talking about was a Muslim o. She has even gone to Mecca before.

Can anybody here tell me why it is done?

What happens if they don't do the sacrifice and just bury her like that?

Is this peculiar to only Yoruba tribe?
Being a Muslim doesn't mean the person will die as a Muslim, she has died as unbeliever
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by midnighter(f): 10:41am On Oct 17, 2019
dayo229:
My neighbor, a woman was drowned few days ago due to heavy rainfall. Her body was found 3 days later in a near by river across our street.

What surprises me is that when they want bury her, etutu (sacrifice) was performed by osun people (they wore white clothes and in beads). This woman I'm talking about was a Muslim o. She has even gone to Mecca before.

Can anybody here tell me why it is done?

What happens if they don't do the sacrifice and just bury her like that?

Is this peculiar to only Yoruba tribe?

This is actually wrong, she probably wouldnt have wanted such a burial..

Are they not supposed to bury her according to Islamic rites? How would she get to Janna if shes in the company of mamiwater
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Oyindaberry(f): 10:42am On Oct 17, 2019
Before westernization came, every tribe had their own traditions and culture. OP, ask the elders; they know better

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Oyindaberry(f): 10:43am On Oct 17, 2019
spencekat:
It is not religion,it is determined by those burying the corpse.
Yeah
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 17, 2019
Acidosis:

You appease the Hotel Management for killing your relative grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
With white Houseflies and Mosquitoes I guess.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by PrincewithGod(m): 10:44am On Oct 17, 2019
Jesus is calling you today!
Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many
will seek to enter and will not be able.
Jesus is the way to eternal life; no one comes
to the Father, but by Him.
Repent and accept Jesus today as your
personal Lord and saviour; He will keep you
safe when every other thing fails.
It is very important to make this all important
decision today, and if you have already
accepted Jesus into your life, continue to
follow Jesus all the way.
He will shepherd you so that you find pasture in this life, and also
in the life to come.
- Copied
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 17, 2019
11thGoldTREE:
pool is like ward council .. Atimes most cases are not transferred to the local government cheesy Osun is the local government

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by showafrica(m): 10:47am On Oct 17, 2019
jokinexcel:
In most cultures it’s widely believed that when someone drowned in a river he/she is “collected “ by the river goddess, so it’s now a property of the goddess, so if you want to take back the person’s corpse from her you have to appease her and seek her permission otherwise she will get angry and kill more members of that family holding her property until the corpse is exhumed and returned back to her. Be warned this is not my handwriting oooo, I was told by an elder, so don’t attack me. I don’t even believe in the existence of the so called goddess

Lol, see as you disclaim the thing sharp sharp...

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by chaloskyx: 10:47am On Oct 17, 2019
because whoever does that is probably an illitrate
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by ChristyB(f): 10:58am On Oct 17, 2019
This is true, one happened at my maternal home.
The person was buried at home. It even damaged the road cos the ground broke from the river to the home where the person was buried.

jokinexcel:

1 Like

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by toprealman: 11:05am On Oct 17, 2019
abumeinben:
Osun and you're asking questions.

They worship their river. The river goddess was angry. Nobody comes to her anymore to ask about their people in overseas. They just use phones. So the goddess gave a reminder that she's still there.

They have to beg her not to vex.
You can keep quite and allow people to make reasonable contribution to the discussion. I'm not even Yoruba before you start running your mouth.
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by donkossy(m): 11:05am On Oct 17, 2019
ChristyB:
This is true, one happened at my maternal home.
The person was buried at home. It even damaged the road cos the ground broke from the river to the home where the person was buried.

ahhhh
Where is your maternal home biko

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Suspend Emir Sunusi To Allow Proper Investigation - Elders To Kano State / I Will Continue To Hold Oba Akiolu In High Esteem - Ooni of Ife / Pictures From Osun-Osogbo Festival 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.