Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,289 members, 7,860,682 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:16 PM

How To Recognize Opportunities And Blow In The Music Industry - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How To Recognize Opportunities And Blow In The Music Industry (222 Views)

Songs That Made Your Favourite Nigerian Artistes Blow!!!(video) / How To Make It (blow) In The Nigerian Music Industry / Biggest Moments In Nigerian Music Industry In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Recognize Opportunities And Blow In The Music Industry by Manicle: 11:40am On Oct 16, 2019
Today on How to Recognize Opportunities and Find Ideas, I'll discuss whether or not it's okay to have a mindset to ''blow'' and how to ''blow'' in the music industry and others.

People rise into stardom, people fizzle out. But the mistake is people don't pay attention to history. So, history repeat itself.

Is it okay to wish to 'blow' or be famous in the music industry? Yes. Is it okay to nurture the mind mindset of 'blowing'? Hell no.

And that's where you miss out on the opportunities around. I'll explain.

Have you ever had an experience of looking for something that's missing at home, and instead of finding it, you find something else that you don't actually need. And by the time you now need the one you are seeing now, you find the other one you were looking for instead.

The secret to (positive) stardom is, you do something that's valuable to people. People enjoy the experience, refer it to others, and the desire for more rises in them. Your fame spreads among them, and you become a star. Often times, people create value when they are after the value rather than being after what the value brings.

As a musician or singer, one of your first disciplines in the field is not singing, but listening. You don't listen well, you'll end up singing off key. In the same vein, if you want to thrive, why not listen to your heart and the circumstances in your environment? You'd be shocked by how much there is to sing about.

Singing itself is not just for the fun of it. Singing gives pleasure, but it also gives healing, and educates. One song I noticed is not attacked with bias is the famous 'You Raised Me Up'.

Person weh de find fame no go calm down get inspiration for that kind lyrics.

Recognizing opportunities in the music industry begins with searching for problems and attempting to fix them, not searching for fame, and attempting to belong.

So, how do you search for problems? I'll tell you. Don't sit with Small Doctor or plug your earpiece, increase the volume and get lost in Kiss Daniel's recent song. No. Not that they are altogether bad. However, they have done their part, what part have you done?

If you can't buy newspaper, read news online. Read history books, go to hospitals, observe, go to orphanages, listen to their story, ask for a time with old men, with wise men, sit with them and ask questions. Listen and learn.

Make friends, pay attention to them, study how they lives their lives; go under bridges, watch vagabonds live street life, go to church, listen to preachings, go to the beach, sit, listen to the sound of the waters, ''think'' think of everything over and over again.

Gather your thoughts, put them on a sieve, shake them, see what drops, and meditate more on the ones still hanging on your mind. Lyrics will come to you, melody will come to you, and when preparation meets opportunity, 'blow' happens.

Pray. Ask God for ideas and things to sing on. Close your eyes and shut your mind off distractions, pick up your guitar, jump on their piano, strike the chord, focus on God, and listen to the still small voice.

Never take a break. Aim. Shoot, don't stop. Fela Kuti of blessed memory came back to Nigeria after studying abroad, and, dissatisfied with the state of the nation, took it upon himself to remain restless until he see the change he wants to see.

Well, he never saw it, but, like my former boss calls him, he remained a 'prophet' whose lyrics are still relevant till today. He contended, not just with the government, but with a military government.

Person weh de find fame no go talk true. He was after something. And we know it's not fame.

At age 5, Michael Jackson was a star with bitterness in his heart. The bitterness was that he was deprived of his childhood because his dad would not stop until he became a star.

At age 30, he still had that bitterness, but he had something else, a burden for children who during his time were victims of war, not just career like him. If you noticed, his most popular and evergreen songs 'We are the World' and 'Heal the World' dealt with this concern. What is your concern?

You should Google the story of Don Jazzy, ASA, Burna Boy, African China, Tiwa Savage, etc. It will surprise you what got them to where they are.

Talking about Google, Google Play Store should be one of your best friends. Every month, new apps are made, while old apps are updated. Apps on music is not an exception. In a world where you can successfully produce your own music without going to a studio (except for professional levels), the sky is your starting point.

So, with the amount of growing technology out there, as a singer or musician, YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE! It takes your consistency in chunking out good songs, raps, and cool music. And in no time, you are in your little way changing the world, making it a better place.

About a year ago, my siblings did a video where they sang 'Blow Like A Mighty Wind'. Recently I checked my YouTube channel where I uploaded it, and the video has more than one thousand views already. The video was not clear, it was not professional, camera was blurry, and the background was not the least appealing.

Got me thinking, if such video can have such number of view, then we can do better with my Infinix Hot 7. Okay jokes apart, I realized my siblings and I don't need to be invited before we make impact, or before we do music. Social media is a big platform already. And a good starting point.

Usually I charge people for ideas on how to turn value to wealth (cos that's what I sell) but I'll give you this one for free. Have you ever thought of doing jingles for certain top brands.

For instance, compose a nice 4 line simple solo with an even simpler chorus for Access Bank, or for Peak Milk, or do a simple jingle for Glo. Give it your best music, do a video with it (talk to a video editing friend if you can't afford paying a professional), do an eye catching graphics design on it with the brand logo.

And then post it on all your social media platform, tagging and hashtagging the brand you did it for. You then ask people to like, comment and more importantly to share it all over their platforms. Do a freebie to that effect, that whoever has the highest share of the video on their social media platform gets a certain amount, or gets a certain bonus or stands the chance of getting a free jingle.

Do that consistently for six months. If the brand don't notice you, and call you, then other brands will likely do that. Besides, that adds to the credibility of your profession because you just used the medium to create a massive awareness of your brand/record label/self. And some brands may even think you actually worked for the brand you advertised. They may call you for negotiation. Bro/Sis, in a twinkling of an eye, your status has changed, influence and finance wise.

You are not seeking for fame, mind you, you are seeking to add value to them. And in return, you get the fruit of your work. There are many more ways to finding opportunities or creating some. But I guess we have to pause for now.

Do call/WhatsApp me on +2347080225737 for questions. And if you need promotion or consultation for your music career or business, feel free to contact me.

(1) (Reply)

Disco/scene In Lagos In The Early 80's ! / Download Legend-believe In Yourself.mp3 / Audio: Simplygrace – Only God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.