Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,097 members, 7,852,710 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 02:05 AM

Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? (685 Views)

Celebrations After The End Of Nigerian Civil War 1970(Pictures) / I Want To Be Remembered For Fighting Corruption To A Standstill – Buhari / Picture Of Gallant Female Soldiers Who Fought In The Nigerian Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by monkeyleg: 8:01pm On Nov 08, 2010
Listen guys, the civil war is part of our history, I wonder why it is never discussed, documentries or films not made. The uncomfortable truth mist be faced. we need to talk about it more, and those who died remembered
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by chyz(m): 8:10pm On Nov 08, 2010
The answer is yes. Also monkeyleg when is Pat Utomi suppose to becoming to U.K. and where? I remember you speaking about it last month or so.
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by monkeyleg: 9:01pm On Nov 08, 2010
He is due in the UK on or around the end of Nov, I think 27th or 28th I will confirm and let you know. He is due to be attending a few lectures, I will give you full details when I have them ok. send me a PM and I will respond with all the details,

The reason I ask about the civil war, is that for such a big event in the history of Nigeria, it is never remembered or celebrated. If Nigeria was the west, it would be a yearly thing. Infact some of the evil that was pepertrated then would have been investigated and living culprits brought to book
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by chyz(m): 9:24pm On Nov 08, 2010
monkeyleg:

He is due in the UK on or around the end of Nov, I think 27th or 28th I will confirm and let you know. He is due to be attending a few lectures, I will give you full details when I have them ok. send me a PM and I will respond with all the details,

The reason I ask about the civil war, is that for such a big event in the history of Nigeria, it is never remembered or celebrated. If Nigeria was the west, it would be a yearly thing. Infact some of the evil that was pepertrated then would have been investigated and living culprits brought to book

Thanks, will do.

And for the nigerian civil war, the reason why it is not celebrated unlike the US civil war is because it was unjustly fought.Certain citizens are not discrimated on because of a civil war. In the U.S. both southerners and northners are allowed into presidency and none are discriminated against in terms of federal governmental positions. Nigeria knows that this country wasnt fought to keep us together and by celebrating such a thing, it is a slap in the face to the ones they have oppressed and continue to oppression and it will only cause blood to boil and an uproar. At least that's how I see it.
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by monkeyleg: 9:36pm On Nov 08, 2010
Not really, but it is part of our history and there are lessons to be learnt

We must discuss it, let our kids and our kids kids, know what happened about 40yrs ago. Over 2million Nigerians lost thier lives, it is not one of those issues that can be swept under the carpet. It must be brought out for everyone to know the truth no matter how painful it is.

I say this, because all the significant moments in the history of this country has been barnished. We dont talk about the slave trade, neither do we talk about the assasination of Murtala Mohammed, there is so much that has has happend that needs to be brought to nthe fore
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by chyz(m): 11:17pm On Nov 08, 2010
monkeyleg:

Not really, but it is part of our history and there are lessons to be learnt

We must discuss it, let our kids and our kids kids, know what happened about 40yrs ago. Over 2million Nigerians lost thier lives, it is not one of those issues that can be swept under the carpet. It must be brought out for everyone to know the truth no matter how painful it is.

I say this, because all the significant moments in the history of this country has been barnished. We dont talk about the slave trade, neither do we talk about the assasination of Murtala Mohammed, there is so much that has has happend that needs to be brought to nthe fore

About the civil war teachings yes i think it should be taught in the schools but that can only happen when equality is reach and the tribalistic and theolistic bias is done away with. However, i dont see this happening anytime in the near future.

You are right, the majority of nigeians don't even know about the slave trade. Instead they teach us history about some white bytch england's queen Elizabeth and the rest of that european nonsense.
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by mensdept: 11:33pm On Nov 08, 2010
chyz:

Thanks, will do.

And for the nigerian civil war, the reason why it is not celebrated unlike the US civil war is because it was unjustly fought.Certain citizens are not discrimated on because of a civil war. In the U.S. both southerners and northners are allowed into presidency and none are discriminated against in terms of federal governmental positions. Nigeria knows that this country wasnt fought to keep us together and by celebrating such a thing, it is a slap in the face to the ones they have oppressed and continue to oppression and it will only cause blood to boil and an uproar. At least that's how I see it.

100% true
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by Missy85(f): 11:53pm On Nov 08, 2010
Celebrated? I assume you mean, marked.

But this only happened about 40 years ago, marking it now will be too traumatic for those who fought in it & are still alive, as well as the many civilians caught up in it & their younger relatives. I think it should wait a little longer.

Best thing for Nigeria to do for now is take good care of the living victims of the war.

Also, the sight of a smug-looking Ojukwu on our TVs will be too much for many, including me. The guy has never apologised for his failed war strategy & the millions of lives (mostly his own people) lost

My opinion.
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by aljharem(m): 11:59pm On Nov 08, 2010
Missy85:

Celebrated? I assume you mean, marked.

But this only happened about 40 years ago, marking it now will be too traumatic for those who fought in it & are still alive, as well as the many civilians caught up in it & their younger relatives. I think it should wait a little longer.

Best thing for Nigeria to do for now is take good care of the living victims of the war.

Also, the sight of a smug-looking Ojukwu on our TVs will be too much for many, including me. The guy has never apologised for his failed war strategy & the millions of lives (mostly his own people) lost

My opinion.

your opinion is right, i think ojukwu should be jailed for the death of thousands of people. angry angry

i mean he collecting pension from the same enemy he fought against
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by DapoBear(m): 12:30am On Nov 09, 2010
chyz:

About the civil war teachings yes i think it should be taught in the schools but that can only happen when equality is reach and the tribalistic and theolistic bias is done away with. However, i dont see this happening anytime in the near future.

You are right, the majority of nigeians don't even know about the slave trade. Instead they teach us history about some white bytch england's queen Elizabeth and the rest of that european nonsense.

"Tribalism" and religionism will never go away. They are fundamental parts of human nature. In every country, there are tribes. In America, it is White man (which is composed of Irish Americans, German Americans, etc), Black man, Hispanic man, Asian man, etc. In Australia, the same.The only countries on the face of the earth that don't have tribalism are the ones where everyone has the same exact religion and ethnicity. So maybe countries like Sweden or Poland, or something.

Of course, tribalism is only a terrible problem in Nigeria due to the very even split among the 3 major groups. At least in nations like America and Australia, there is one dominant ethnic group, the white man. In Nigeria, no group is dominant. This is part of the reason why the country probably needs to be split into 3 or more pieces. . .
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by kcjazz(m): 12:43am On Nov 09, 2010
Yes!
There is a documentary on the war at the NTA archives. But there is fear in the land that it could incite violence or bitter feelings, but I believe people can tell the stories creatively and differently. I would love to see Adichie's "Half of A Yellow Sun" at the movies or docudrama.
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by tpia5: 5:18am On May 31, 2013
why do people keep saying it wasnt taught in schools?

i'm sure thats not a correct assumption.
Re: Should The Nigerian Civil War Be Remembered? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:12am On May 31, 2013
It aint good na. Why will u make people remember d sweet sour taste of defeat left in their forefathers mouth, transferred to their fathers, now to them as children, who will be the at sole of transferring it to their yet unborn?
It's not good na

(1) (Reply)

Cpc/acn Should Co-opt Apga Into Partnership: Vp To Come From S/e / The Inside Story Of The ACN/CPC Alliance Talks Collapse / Will Jonathan's Ambition Not Ruin This Country?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.