Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,065 members, 7,825,369 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content (864 Views)

50 Killed In Egyptian Pitch Invasion / Enough Of Foreign Coaches. Lets Mobilise For An Indigenous One(local Content). The Big Boss Qualifi / Foreign Vs Local Soccer Players (egyptian Model For Nigeria & Others) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content by randa(m): 10:06am On May 21, 2007
the rate at which nigerians have taking to foreign leagues is so alarming, various reasons have beign giving to these of which i do support wholeheartedly, but the other issue is that of immaturity and animosity that is generated in circles around the country, i do not need to remind y'all about the insident in lagos where an arsenal fan was stabbed in the eye by a bolton fan who does not know the difference between a gary speed and a nathan blake or even ingir bergsson.
the whole issue here is abou the need to have real football fans whose love for the game isnt limited to the english premiership or the la liga but some one who loves the sandy pitch at the navy ground in ojo, or kofar mata in kano or maybe township in jos or is it the agege satdium. i have met people who scream and shout about chelsea and all that, when i say there is a game involving plateau united and 3sc they shudder like i just shot them, why?, isnt the love there? i ask the about jon harley or emerson thome and they ask who is that? how funny, what we ahve these days are commercial fans whose stock in trade is during midweek champ league matches or the weekends when matches are beign bandied around, their knowledge is limited to the four corner tv set, or maybe the internet(thank God for it sha)
screaming up and down as if they are God and we are all fools. i remember an incident when i first moved to kontagora, i went to watch a premiership match between arsenal and newcastle, some people started shouting , arguing and before i knew it,a petrol drum flew right across my face and smashed someones face, there and then i left the place, next monday i went to the bank withdrew the 40,000 naira remaining for the month and bought a satelite dish and installed at my flat instead of my head beign broken by some 19 abi 20 year old who doesnt know his left from right.
i remember the good old days when we watch matches with respect for each other be it european or nigerian, i remember i did a write up when i was in js 2 in 1989 or 1990 about the 1949 uk tourist ( the first official national team to play in europe) it took me one full month of research (then internet never show). i was given an award and a certificate which i have up till date, now its all about noise and more noise, do you remember beanjy nzeakor?, samson ozogula, casmir mbachu?, ali jeje, eric de mico joel bats?, kjetil rekdal, giudo buchwald, clifford cassidy or maybe david ngodigha?, okay try this, patrice evra,freddie ljunberg, ivan campo, cris ronaldo, kaka, cafu , iker cassilas. ahh that one easy abi?
the point i am trying to make is that if we trully love the game we should give it soul in the sense that it will pay to talk less and read more, argue less and improve our knowledge, i am just thirty but i have followed the beautiful game for virtually all my life, thanks partly to my old man who started me since i knew how to talk, imagine my little cousin benjamin hwo is 23, claiming to be a chelsea fan and even shouting and bragging, and i was like eh! which time benjy don dey watch ball? when we were playing out during competitions in plateau state,all he knew about football was pele and maradona, now, sha any time i come around he keeps quite because he knows what the real koko is,
what you know will make you known.here is a brain teaser for real football fans in nairaland not football pretenders and premeirship wannabes
1. where does the team colo colo hail from,
2. which team did teslim balogun make his name with in enland
3. who was the only mullato in our nations cup winning team in 1980.
4. who scored fc porto's winnign goal in the 1988 european champions cup final
5. who scored olympique marseille winnign goal in the 1992 champs league final
6. who captain the team from question 5
7. which english team did andy linighan play the uefa cup with in 1995
8. during the 1995 cup winners cup final, who scored the winning goal for what team?
9. who is the first isreali t play for tottenham hotspurs?
10.he is black, winger cum midfielder for liverpool in the early 1990's also capped by england.
plsease visit www.andrewranda.vox.com and paste your answers the comments section. any 8 correct answers wins a mtn 200 naira recharge card.
Re: Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content by Mustay(m): 3:17pm On Jun 02, 2007
9raland is an example
Re: Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content by marlet01(m): 4:03pm On Jun 02, 2007
@ randa

You won't blame 'em, would you?

They find their league so boring and unidentified so what do you expect 'em to do?
Re: Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content by Mustay(m): 4:32pm On Jun 02, 2007
Demand for change
Re: Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content by marlet01(m): 4:34pm On Jun 02, 2007
@ Mustay

Change?

And wat kind of change is dat?
Re: Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content by Mustay(m): 5:46pm On Jun 02, 2007
Our media must first of all change.
They enjoy serving us 5 mins of 'local' news and 25 mins of 'FOOTBALL' news
Re: Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content by marlet01(m): 5:57pm On Jun 02, 2007
Really? Lol
Re: Foreign Invasion Vs Local Content by Mustay(m): 6:51pm On Jun 02, 2007
The matches in the english league r most of d times dry but with facts and history, they make it look like one helluva BIG match.
Here, our presenters no fit speak english, them no dey even do research

(1) (Reply)

A 6.10 Inches Broda Needs A Basketball Club / Up Liverpool 4 Life / Okafor Signs $72m Deal With Bobcats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.