Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! (1231 Views)

Php Frameworks Or Using Libraries . / Best Javascript Animation Libraries / A Curated List Of Awesome Python Frameworks, Libraries, Software And Resources. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by Grandlord: 8:26am On Oct 19, 2019
So I'm done with learning the basics of python and I guess programming generally, and I want to get going with the projects only to get bombarded by these many modules I'll have to download and install.

That's actually not a problem but the problem is, these modules have so many functions and methods that I'm wondering how I'll get to learn them all.

How do I know the various methods/functions that exist in various modules that I might need in my programs?

Do I need to read up all of the modules functionalities from the libraries or is there an easier way out here?

cc:
Javanian
kodewriter
pcguru1
ibkayee
computergeek
Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 19, 2019
Grandlord:
So I'm done with learning the basics of python and I guess programming generally, and I want to get going with the projects only to get bombarded by these many modules I'll have to download and install.

That's actually not a problem but the problem is, these modules have so many functions and methods that I'm wondering how I'll get to learn them all.

How do I know the various methods/functions that exist in various modules that I might need in my programs?

Do I need to read up all of the modules functionalities from the libraries or is there an easier way out here?

cc:
Javanian
kodewriter
pcguru1
ibkayee
computergeek
Uncle, I like your determination and energy. Keep it up and you'll go very far very soon. However, that you're done with the basics means you're just starting. You can't really build anything solid with basic Python knowledge.

Let me tell you one thing I've learned over the years: Programming languages are just like spoken languages, such as French and Spanish. The same way you take time to learn a new language, is the same way you learn a programming language. This ideology helped me a lot.

Based on what you're asking, you can learn as many modules as you need by practising with them, using them in simple programs, going big, and just keep practicing. Don't go cramming libraries because you'll get demoralized.

Those libraries are highly categorized according to the area of programming you want to apply your Python knowledge to. This is where research becomes your Friend. Find the ones you need and learn with them everyday.

Don't be in a hurry. It's very easy to get knocked off course.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by MountainView: 9:45am On Oct 19, 2019
use a good IDE like Pycharm

4 Likes

Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by stanliwise(m): 9:52am On Oct 19, 2019
Grandlord:

cc:
Javanian
kodewriter
pcguru1
ibkayee
computergeek
Dont learn library, learn how to build app and by then you will know what library and what functionalities exist.

4 Likes

Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by MrCodeSolo: 9:59am On Oct 19, 2019
Grandlord:

cc:
Javanian
kodewriter
pcguru1
ibkayee
computergeek
Welcome to programming 101

1 Like

Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by ibkayee(f): 10:03am On Oct 19, 2019
stanliwise:

Dont learn library, learn how to build app and by then you will know what library and what functionalities exist.
This is what works for me. Rather than trying to cram like computergeek said, when you’re creating things/practicing you end up using them anyway, it’s better this way because you’ll know of their practical uses and why, rather than just memorising their ‘definitions’, if that makes sense

Cc Grandlord

3 Likes

Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by Grandlord: 11:18am On Oct 19, 2019
Great contributions everyone.

So everyone basically advises to learn by doing, which I agree, is the right way.

Thank you all! smiley
Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by sparkle7: 12:37pm On Oct 19, 2019
Grandlord:
So I'm done with learning the basics of python and I guess
cc:
Javanian
kodewriter
pcguru1
ibkayee
computergeek

Bro to be sincere, it is not possible to learn every module or library in a programming language.
In fact, it is virtually useless leaning libraries that you don't need at the moment.
I don't waste time learning modules that I don't need presently in my application.
Because I have come to realise that even after learning them and you are not using them, you will likely forget them as quick as you learnt it.
So I just learn the standard python syntax and whenever an app or program calls for a library, I learn it!
No time wasting. I remembered a time i was learning the beautiful soup library. I had no intent to use it for anything. Just to feed my inquisitive mind that's all.
I downloaded the official documentation and learnt it from scratch. But later on, I didn't see a place or program to apply my knowledge of web scraping. I literally forgot about the functions after some time.
Have you ever tried to learn a programming language before and you downloaded many PDF books all at time. You will realise that there are some PDF you never opened up till the present time.
Then what is the use of downloading them?
Just a waste of time.
Believe me, the above scenario have happened to me. So I learn some module when it is required that I incorporate it into my programs.
Learn what you need to reach your goal and move on.
You can never learn every thing in a language, grab the tools you need to solve the problem at hand and swerve.
My 2 cents.

3 Likes

Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by Grandlord: 1:06pm On Oct 19, 2019
sparkle7:

Bro to be sincere, it is not possible to learn every module or library in a programming language.
In fact, it is virtually useless leaning libraries that you don't need at the moment.
I don't waste time learning modules that I don't need presently in my application.
Because I have come to realise that even after learning them and you are not using them, you will likely forget them as quick as you learnt it.
So I just learn the standard python syntax and whenever an app or program calls for a library, I learn it!
No time wasting. I remembered a time i was learning the beautiful soup library. I had no intent to use it for anything. Just to feed my inquisitive mind that's all.
I downloaded the official documentation and learnt it from scratch. But later on, I didn't see a place or program to apply my knowledge of web scraping. I literally forgot about the functions after some time.
Have you ever tried to learn a programming language before and you downloaded many PDF books all at time. You will realise that there are some PDF you never opened up till the present time.
Just a waste of time.
Believe me, the above scenario have happened to me. So I learn some module when it is required that I incorporate it into my programs.
You can never learn every thing in a language, grab the tools you need to solve the problem at hand and swerve.
My 2 cents.
Thanks my man. smiley I have those untouched PDFs too. grin

Like you advised and like most people here have suggested, I'll learn the modules as I cover more projects and tasks.

Interestingly I've been looking at beautifulsoup4 too(name caught my attentiongrin ).
Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 19, 2019
sparkle7:

Just a waste of time.
My 2 cents.

True, I wanted to read the whole Java before programming back then, now makes more sense to read basic and tips and the relevant like early when you need it.
Re: HELP! Too Many Libraries And Modules! by Keizzmann(m): 7:55pm On Sep 17, 2020
sparkle7:

Just a waste of time.
My 2 cents.

To be sincere, this is 2020 and this comment is still valid.

Thanks, i really needed this

(1) (Reply)

How To Add Your Website To Opera Mini News Field To Increase Your Traffic / CBT Application...for Schools Such As Secondary Schools And Higher Institutions / Please Help With This Css.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.