Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Article: Feminism In Nigeria - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Article: Feminism In Nigeria (357 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: Don't Use Feminism To Justify Your Wickedness / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her / Chimamanda Adichie Says It's Wrong To Use Feminism As An Excuse To Insult A Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Article: Feminism In Nigeria by GraciaKim: 11:43am On Oct 19, 2019
WHAT IS Feminism
Wikipedia defined of feminism as a range of SOCIAL MOVEMENTS, POLITUCAL MOVEMENTS and if IDEOLOGIES that share common goals to define, establish and achieve the political, economic, personal and social equality of the sexes.
The world renowned of feminists have campaigned and will continue to campaign for women rights and gender identity equality.
Goals of FEMINISTS MOVEMENTS includes: right to vote, hold public office, to work, earn fair wages or not equal pay, to be educated and liberation from non consensual sex like rape or early marriage.
FEMINISM IN NIGERIA
Feminism now have massive turn ups in Africa, breaking the yolk of our mentality and societal beliefs and values. (Let's not talk about religion here) Nigeria isn't an exception. Most ladies declare Feminist but only few knows what it stands for
(Note: I'm not against feminists, just concerned)
Imagine those ladies who hit the street of Lagos to campaign months ago. Their chants were 'Stop touching us' 'we aren't sex objects'. People could say they were protesting against sexual harassment but that's way too improper. Screaming and shouting at men who were busy baking their daily bread is also some sort of harassment. What if table were turned?
Also, reasons MOST Nigerian ladies declare feminists isn't worth it. A Nigerian lady making decent bucks feels she doesn't need a man to cater for her wants and needs thus, the word 'I'm a feminist' pops up in her mind.
Another sets of acclaimed feminists are 'Men are scum' gangs. These are ladies who'd suffered heartbreaks or heard stories that touch on heartbreaks. It's cool if a lady wishes to stay off romantic relationships but these ladies vents their anger, bitterness and attack anything in trouser they come across. What gives them the autonomy to do so? They are feminists. Heartbreaks is general, men do suffers heartbreaks too, they just don't make big deals out of it unlike women. Heartbreaks and money shouldn't make a woman dislike men, it's OK if she's cautious though, it will be a foolhardy decision to rebuff any man they meet. Shiloh is real

Also the ones that can't keep relationships. These people use of the word 'feminism' to console themselves for being a failure at nursing a home. Please don't get me wrong on this, there are decent single mothers who are unlucky, they know what feminism really is. Being a single mother or a divorcee doesn't make you an 'unapologetic feminist' you know nothing about.
Married women with ego now have an excuse for being rude and not submissive to their husband, all thanks to feminism
Some men also have their share of blame in misconstrued feminism in Nigeria. Their mentality is wired to believe that Feminism is for bitter, frustrated and hot tempered women, they develop resentment for any woman who claim to be a feminist. Feminism preaches gender equality not hatred.
Also, they think all feminists are hypocrite who spews hatred at men publicly only to get intimate with them behind closed doors. We need to understand that Feminism isn't against sexual intimacy of any sort except unsolicited ones. The likes of Oprah Winfrey and Linda Ikeji didn't give birth through the help of holy spirit
In conclusion, both genders have their portion of blame in the misconception of feminism in Nigeria.
Why am I a feminist? This is what a woman claiming one should ask herself to know the difference between being a feminist and a sexist.
Yea, I'm a feminist
I'm a feminist because of the alarming rate of rape cases and underage marriage in Nigeria
I'm a feminist because according to stats, 1 in every 4 women experiences domestic violence
I'm a feminist because our president believe women belongs to the other room alone
I'm a feminist because right to own properties is limited for women.
Yet, I'm a feminist because most men are perceived to be sex freaks and sexual pleasure seekers
I'm a feminist because only women are believed to be immune to harassment and physical assault from the opposite sex. The list goes on...
IN SUMMARY, FEMINISM IS GENDER EQUALITY.

Looking for a freelance writer for your project? I'm up to the task. Contact me on whatsapp 08132337115.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Article: Feminism In Nigeria by Oremeyii(f): 4:51pm On Oct 19, 2019
And first, I was like because of d examples of misconstructed feminism, then I realized d point u were trying to make.
The article is superb tho'

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Flower Girl Episode 10 / Ideal Girl By Jamie Ruddy / New Story: The Passenger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.