Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,071 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

The Benefits Of Cultivating A Reading Habit - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Benefits Of Cultivating A Reading Habit (334 Views)

One Common Habit You Have To Learn,which Makes Millionaire A Lots Of Money / Donate A Book Today... A Reading Nation, A Leading Nation / ICAN Reading Partner Needed At A Reading Facility In Oshodi Isolo Lga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Benefits Of Cultivating A Reading Habit by africa4ever: 10:30pm On Oct 20, 2019
Benefits Of Reading.

I remember my first day in the university. I have chosen law as a discipline just to defy my father who wanted me to read medicine or pharmacy. Like every fresh jambito in class, I really didn’t know what the course was all about; the diction’s and explanations in class were weird and for the first two weeks I asked myself “What am I doing here?”

Back in secondary school, I was used to the teachers writing lengthy notes on the board and that formed the basis of what I will face in the exam as far as I was concerned but here at the university, the highest a lecturer came to writing on the board was the course code ‘LAW 123’ with no course title and so I was in for a shocker.

A day came when a lady answered a question beautifully in class and I joined in applauding her. I was so enthralled by her submissions that I wanted to know how she knew so much. Suddenly, a part of me decided to rebel, how come she knows so much when we all knew so little?

It was obvious she had a diploma in law while the majority in the class were rookies. When I discovered this turn of event, I brought the attention of the lecturer to it and so I became an enemy to all diploma law students in my class. One of them went as far as calling me a ‘blockhead’ and I thanked her profusely with a smile on my face, but for days, I thought about that word ‘blockhead’ to the extent of flipping through the dictionary to get the exact meaning and when the realization dawned on me that she might be right, I bought my first textbook.

Whether in business or academics, it is wise to read as a means of building oneself for challenges which may occur or simply for pleasure. Children are not left out because they will grow up to take over our business empires and lucrative jobs; without the necessary guidance, we are bound to have a generation of youngsters who run on instincts rather than knowledge.

I have encountered a lot of businessmen who don’t know the basic principles of investment and as such, after making a huge fortune, they lose it within the twinkle of an eye and thus, have to start from ‘Point Zero’ again. Even for a person who wants to improve his communication skill or acquire knowledge, it will be impossible to do so without looking into a book.

ALSO READ: NIGERIAN YOUTHS, LEADERS OR OBSERVERS

A sage was posited that “if you want to hide anything from a Black man, hide it in a book”. While that may sound harsh it is obviously the truth because of the poor reading culture in Africa. However, thanks to technology, everything is now available with the click of a button. Now let’s look at some of the benefits of reading;
Helps to broaden our knowledge:

To accumulate knowledge, it is necessary to cultivate a reading habit. Generally, we cannot find explanations to many questions in the world by merely looking at each other, it must be gotten by ardent reading in order to find solutions to life’s problems. For kids, research shows that picture-based books can help tremendously to improve their knowledge about things. No wonder a child will easily identify things (objects) because of the knowledge he/she has acquired from a book.
Helps to improve communication skills:

it is not in doubt that a person’s vocabulary and use of words will improve as a result of reading. Psychologist discovered that when a person encounters a new word, he/she is most likely to use that word while communicating with others. Also, use of words becomes easier as a result of constant communication derived from reading. Apart from words they hear you speak, a child learning to communicate will basically start with words he/she saw in a book.
Helps boost confidence:

When a person develops a reading culture, it has the tendency to boost confidence while communicating with others. This is because of everyday usage and the joy derived from freely expressing one’s thoughts due to exposure.

The great philosopher, Socrates once said “employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for.” Develop a reading culture and habit today to illuminate your tomorrow.

Hope these reading benefits helps you.

Pls feel free to drop your comments below and lets know what you think.

CONTACT US AND READ MORE HERE:
https://pita.com.ng/the-benefits-of-cultivating-a-reading-habit/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benefits Of Cultivating A Reading Habit by DaudaAbu(m): 10:44pm On Oct 20, 2019
Nice write up.

Just finished reading ''the secret of productive people''

Presently i am on ''the jewish phenomenon'' very good and enlighening read

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Cultivating A Reading Habit by africa4ever: 11:59pm On Oct 20, 2019
Thanks for stopping by. Cheers
DaudaAbu:
Nice write up.

Just finished reading ''the secret of productive people''

Presently i am on ''the jewish phenomenon'' very good and enlighening read

(1) (Reply)

Chittagong University - CU D Unit Result 2019-20 / JAMB Approved CBT Centers & Address For 2020/2021 Exams (all State In Nigeria) / What Skills Do I Need Has An Economist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.