Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,479 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin (2244 Views)

China People And Culture In Anambra / A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / Shadrach Erebulu, Adou: "I Don’t Allow Women To Wear Trousers In My Palace" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Alexaonfleek: 2:00pm On Oct 21, 2019
I have an uncle who is from the Southeastern part of nigeria.for some weird reasons he never allows anyone to see him when eating,especially if it's swallow.is there any cultural reasons for this?

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by nlPoster: 2:53pm On Oct 21, 2019
In other places, it's ok for everyone to see you when eating.

In fact, you make sure they do, really cool.
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI(m): 4:39pm On Oct 22, 2019
Hes fetish
He takes drug
He loves his culture

1) I read it from the web, that there are certain cults and fraternities, whose member are not allowed to eat swallows in public.

2) He may be putting drugs in the swallow, you'll know it'll be easier to take, compared to food you chew in the mouth.

3) He may be speaking the truth, that his culture barred him from eating swallows in public.

Alexaonfleek
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Alexaonfleek: 11:12pm On Oct 22, 2019
JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI:
Hes fetish
He takes drug
He loves his culture

1) I read it from the web, that there are certain cults and fraternities, whose member are not allowed to eat swallows in public.

2) He may be putting drugs in the swallow, you'll know it'll be easier to take, compared to food you chew in the mouth.

3) He may be speaking the truth, that his culture barred him from eating swallows in public.

Alexaonfleek
oh okay thanks.but he's a Christian,a strong Catholic at that.i don't think he belongs to any cult or he's fetish
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by ollysaks: 8:38am On Oct 25, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
oh okay thanks.but he's a Christian,a strong Catholic at that.i don't think he belongs to any cult or he's fetish

Laughing in fulfude grin grin grin

"......a strong Catholic at that.."

Is it written on the forehead, I am a cult member or is that the practice of the Roman Catholic Church? angry

Is that the practice of the whole community, his family or just him alone? undecided

He's religiously following it like a ritual. lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Depressed101: 9:11pm On Oct 26, 2019
I used to don't like people seeing me eat, especially swallow... I when its time for us to eat, i will go out, and come back when everyone has gone to bed to eat, if its urgent that I need to eat, i will lock the doors and windows.

Though i was doin it unconsciously, I didn't know people will notice. My mum complained about it, so i began to drop it gradually, i stopped it totally when i went to school. Now I can eat in public, even at ceremonies i prefer fufu, i have a knack of undoing myself..

But i prefer eating in private. Its just a personal fetish, nothing else.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 29, 2019
He's behavior has nothing to do with igbo culture, maybe he just wants privacy while eating, there are people like that.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by OMANBALA1: 7:05pm On Nov 02, 2019
I dont know about that, but Onye Ichie/Agbalanze(the highest category in nze na ozo hierarchy) is not supposed to eat in the public.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Kingzy4pep(m): 12:22pm On Nov 24, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
I have an uncle who is from the Southeastern part of nigeria.for some weird reasons he never allows anyone to see him when eating,especially if it's swallow.is there any cultural reasons for this?
Agbor girl
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Alexaonfleek: 1:58pm On Nov 24, 2019
Kingzy4pep:
Agbor girl
lol.hes not my uncle directly like my mum's cousin

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Kingzy4pep(m): 7:27pm On Nov 24, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
lol.hes not my uncle directly like my mum's cousin
Oh okay.. Which part of Agbor are you from?
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by edoairways: 10:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
He is not a Christian. A Christian stick to biblical doctrines
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Alexaonfleek: 10:23pm On Nov 24, 2019
Kingzy4pep:
Oh okay.. Which part of Agbor are you from?
my dad is from Ika
My mum is from akumazi

You seem to know that side well

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Kingzy4pep(m): 11:11pm On Nov 24, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
my dad is from Ika
My mum is from akumazi

Yea, I do actually. I'm from Ika even.
I doubt if you even know there.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Alexaonfleek: 1:04am On Nov 25, 2019
Kingzy4pep:
Yea, I do actually. I'm from Ika even.
I doubt if you even know there.
wow
I've never been to Ika to be honest.
My dad doesn't like me going there
I've only been to akumazi once
And why won't I know where I'm from undecided
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Kingzy4pep(m): 4:37am On Nov 25, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
wow
It's same for most people.. I was almost 20 before I went to my home town for the first time and I can count how many times I've gone there. I don't like it there..

BTW, Been reading your diary.. So sorry about the demise of your grandmom
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Alexaonfleek: 8:03pm On Nov 25, 2019
Kingzy4pep:
It's same for most people.. I was almost 20 before I went to my home town for the first time and I can count how many times I've gone there. I don't like it there..

BTW, Been reading your diary.. So sorry about the demise of your grandmom
I guess it has to do with village people

Thanks for the condolence
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Kingzy4pep(m): 8:39pm On Nov 25, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
I guess it has to do with village people

Thanks for the condolence
Sent you a pm.
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by TheMohican(m): 2:03pm On Apr 21, 2020
JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI:
Hes fetish
He takes drug
He loves his culture

Alexaonfleek

@Alexaonfleek, It's not about cults but if the uncle is a titled man, I know some communities where titled men are only allowed to eat with thier peers but that's only during special occasions. It might actually be a cultural thing
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by TheMohican(m): 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
my dad is from Ika
My mum is from akumazi

You're 100% Igbo
Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by RedboneSmith(m): 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
my dad is from Ika
My mum is from akumazi

Akumazi is in Ika na. Ika is the name of the entire ethnic group and not the name of a specific town within it. Or has that changed.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by RedboneSmith(m): 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
wow

You have been to Akumazi, but you have not been to Ika? Ha! I'm not understanding again oh. Ika people in the house abeg come and explain to me, is there now a village in Ikaland called Ika?

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin by Abcruz(m): 11:54am On Sep 19, 2020
RedboneSmith:

You have been to Akumazi, but you have not been to Ika? Ha! I'm not understanding again oh. Ika people in the house abeg come and explain to me, is there now a village in Ikaland called Ika?

Lol there's none I know of.

(1) (Reply)

The Ekumeku Movement (igbo Version Of The Mau Mau) / Meet Olori Adebukola Ogunwusi, Wife Of Newly Crowned Ooni Of Ife(photos) / Akokwa, Uzii, Arondi Izuogu, Uruala: Come In & Hook Up Dis Yuletide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.