Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,509 members, 7,826,935 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba (644 Views)

Tinubu Is The Next President In JESUS NAME , Yoruba Lokan / About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. / Fani Kayode Is Right - The Name Yoruba(yarriba) Was Created In 1808 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by olawalepopoola: 6:04am On Oct 22, 2019
Many people had posted their thought about the origin of the word Yoruba. Many believed that it originated from the word "Yaribansa" from the Fulanis. Some people claimed that one "Dr. Taiwo Ayanbolu" confirmed this assertion in scholarly article.
I took time out to search Google scholar which is the repository of scholars name and their works all over the world. I also search for this same Dr.'s article on Google without any positive feedback. I believe those spreading this information can ONLY be right if they can provide a link or DOI to Dr. Taiwo Ayanbolu article.
How was Dr. Ayanbolu research conducted. How many articles did he consult? How many Yoruba Kings and orators did he ask questions? Did interview the Fulanis on the source of this word?
Hausa/Fulani can't use the word "Bansa" without any reason. The word Yoruba must have been on ground before the invasion of Fulanis. There is a high possibility that because they couldn't conquer the Yoruba land during the Jihadists advancement they have to used the word 'Bansa' on the tribe.
Another way is to look at the word 'Yaribansa'. There are two root words here: 'Yari' and 'Bansa'. While Hausa/Fulani name their children "Yari" (remember Alhaji Abdul'aziz Abubakar Yari, the Governor of Zamfara state). He could he had bear this name if it was derogatory? Can the Hausa/Fulani give their children derogatory names? How many parents can.
I believe that the origin of the word"Yoruba" is still a major concern for research.
Please search for Dr. Taiwo Ayanbolu work on this topic and share if you are able to find it.

MY THOUGHTS...

1 Like

Re: Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by IamAtikulate: 6:27am On Oct 22, 2019
Before deceiving yourself, pick any Hausa history book and you will be shocked to see that those fhools listed Yoruba as one of the bansa hausa states.

The scary thing is, this is what they teach their kids from JSS1.

Imagine misinforming them at that early stage.

1 Like

Re: Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 7:06am On Oct 22, 2019
OP,
The most important task is what you have done. Anytime Ibo say something, I dont care if he attaches a source...Im going to review the source and fact check to conclusion. You will be surprised how many of their falsehoods and fake stories have been bursted by people taking the extra step to fact check before believing the nonsense.

Kudos to you! This thread is dry because you bursted them....they are avoiding it.

1 Like

Re: Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by PapaBaby: 7:21am On Oct 22, 2019
So Hausa people named you people Yoruba?
Re: Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 22, 2019
Na you get time dey worry yourself on nonsense.
Charity they say begins at home. And only a bastard uses the left hand to point to his father's house.
If the guy who wrote that yaribansa crap had first written about the origin and etymology of Igbo which is otherwise unknown till today, before venturing into that of Yoruba, i would have given him some thought. But seeing as he is dancing the dance of fools and madmen, I'm not even giving him a pinch of attention.
Re: Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by untainted: 8:16am On Oct 22, 2019
Yare means "Language" in Hausa
Banza = "Useless" (loosely translated) in Hausa language

Yari & Bansa could be a mispronunciation of Yare and Banza or at worst a corruption of the two words.

The above coincidences really piqued my interest.

I think the issue is worth investigating
Re: Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by PropertyBase: 8:26am On Oct 22, 2019
Buy Apartments in Lekki and Surulere, spread payments over 10years. Call/WhatsApp 08112222019 for details
Re: Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Charleys: 8:34am On Oct 22, 2019
Have you checked the encyclopedia brittanica?
Re: Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by orunto27: 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2019
The word Yoruba must have been on ground before the invasion of Fulanis.

Confirmed.

There is a high possibility that because they couldn't conquer the Yoruba land during the Jihadists advancement they have to use the word 'Bansa' on the tribe.

Probable. Same for Yamirinbansa.

(1) (Reply)

The Man That Beat Bobrisky Up In Lagos Traffic After Hitting Her Car Apologised / Name Any Politician In Nigeria That Can Do This? / PDP Carpets APC Over Alleged N40bn FIRS Campaign Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.