Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Help.. Bmw E30 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help.. Bmw E30 (1246 Views)

BMW E30 Drift Build. [00[][]00] / 1988 BMW E30 Restoration. Pics / Strictly Bmw E30 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help.. Bmw E30 by Ubty: 11:08am On Oct 22, 2019
Forgive me, I would not know the technical words to use.... reason I captured the topic that way.
I use a BMW E30 (M40 engine). Changed my rings, metals and valves recently. My mechanic is telling me to drive slowly (not above 60-70km/h) for about a month, change oil before I can drive "normally". Reason for this according to him is for the rings to settle in the cylinder so it doesn't file it out (whatsoever that means...not even sure i've typed it correctly).
My issue is, do I need to wait for a whole month for that process? Cos my office is far and I was an hour late today. Driving at less than 60km/h was quite boring today. Used about 2hrs to cover a distance I normally cover with less than an hour. I have driven about 80km already and will do the same going back (i.e 160km/day). If his theory is true, how many days will I need to do in order to get the pistons/rings "set"?
Can I at least get to 80km/hr?
Pls experienced people in the house should help me out.
Thanks
Re: Help.. Bmw E30 by laivwire(m): 11:07pm On Oct 25, 2019
Ubty:
Forgive me, I would not know the technical words to use.... reason I captured the topic that way.
I use a BMW E30 (M40 engine). Changed my rings, metals and valves recently. My mechanic is telling me to drive slowly (not above 60-70km/h) for about a month, change oil before I can drive "normally". Reason for this according to him is for the rings to settle in the cylinder so it doesn't file it out (whatsoever that means...not even sure i've typed it correctly).
My issue is, do I need to wait for a whole month for that process? Cos my office is far and I was an hour late today. Driving at less than 60km/h was quite boring today. Used about 2hrs to cover a distance I normally cover with less than an hour. I have driven about 80km already and will do the same going back (i.e 160km/day). If his theory is true, how many days will I need to do in order to get the pistons/rings "set"?
Thanks
Its not a matter of speed, its more about the rpm your engine is operating. You can run at 1500rpm down a slope at 100kmh yet rev at 3500rpm at 60kmh up a hill.

Breaking in an engine especially after a rebuild should be within the first week of use maximum. What are you waiting for a month for? Breaking in
is basically to smoothen out the rough edges of the ring to fit into the bore and leaving some marginal space for the oil to lubricate. Daily engine running for a couple days should give desired results.

Out of curiosty, why did you have to 'ring' your M40?
Re: Help.. Bmw E30 by mustydeen(m): 9:24pm On Oct 26, 2019
Ubty:
Thanks

Listen to your mechanic.
Re: Help.. Bmw E30 by Ubty: 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2019
laivwire:

Its not a matter of speed, its more about the rpm your engine is operating. You can run at 1500rpm down a slope at 100kmh yet rev at 3500rpm at 60kmh up a hill.

Breaking in an engine especially after a rebuild should be within the first week of use maximum. What are you waiting for a month for? Breaking in
is basically to smoothen out the rough edges of the ring to fit into the bore and leaving some marginal space for the oil to lubricate. Daily engine running for a couple days should give desired results.

Out of curiosty, why did you have to 'ring' your M40?

Thanks for the insight.
I decided to "ring" it cos my mechanic changed the valves: some plugs were getting wet thereafter. He advised that we change d rings cos the new valves are "more powerful". Since I am inexperience, I normally take his word for it. To be candid, the car moves very well; though I was limited to harness that speed earlier.
N/B. I am looking out for a clean 4-plug e46. hopefully I can purchase later this year
Re: Help.. Bmw E30 by laivwire(m): 6:54pm On Oct 29, 2019
Ubty:

Thanks for the insight.
I decided to "ring" it cos my mechanic changed the valves: some plugs were getting wet thereafter. He advised that we change d rings cos the new valves are "more powerful". Since I am inexperience, I normally take his word for it. To be candid, the car moves very well; though I was limited to harness that speed earlier.
N/B. I am looking out for a clean 4-plug e46. hopefully I can purchase later this year
More powerful valves? That’s new to me but I understand if the plugs were getting ‘wet’

Good you're enjoying your e30. The M40 isn’t so much of a speed machine though but you’ll enjoy good fuel economy. I also miss the rear wheel drive kick on mine back then.

The e46 is a good step up as well. All the best
Re: Help.. Bmw E30 by Ubty: 6:59pm On Oct 29, 2019
[quote author=mustydeen post=83489347]

Listen to your mechanic. [/quoted]

He is a nice guy actually

(1) (Reply)

Registered Toyota Corolla 06 Forsale / I Deal On Ecu Aka Brainbox For All Japanese Cars / Nigerian Man Replied Road Safety Twitter Handler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.