Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden (2186 Views)

Why Are Igbos So Interested In Lagos Than Their Homestate? / Presidential Debate Dies A Sudden Death / Bashir El-Rufai: They Now Want Unity & Togetherness All Of A Sudden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by eminencetoba: 8:39pm On Oct 26, 2019
Why Russia is so interested in Nigeria all of a sudden
Russia is all over Nigeria at the moment.

The east European nation has just donated 12 Mi-35 attack helicopters to Nigeria after bilateral talks between President Muhammadu Buhari and President Vladmir Putin in the southern Russian city of Sochi.

Russia has also promised to fix a portion of Nigeria’s rail, revive moribund refineries and restart the decaying Ajaokuta steel company, among other interventions.

Which begs the question: why is Russia doing all of this and why now? What does Russia really want from Nigeria?

Let’s walk you through some of the 'whys' and 'hows' in this piece.

Russia and waning superpower status

This month, African leaders converged on Russia for the first Russia-Africa summit because Russia desperately wants a chunk of the African market.

Russia has been watching jealously from outside as the US and China corner a chunk of the Nigerian and African markets for themselves.

Russia and America have never liked themselves even though Trump has a thing for Putin (AFP)Associated Press/Pablo Martinez Monsivais
Russia and America have never liked themselves even though Trump has a thing for Putin (AFP)
You see, Russia used to be a world super power like the United States and China. However, after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, Russia’s powers on a global scale began to wane.

Reuters writes that the Russia-Africa summit is essentially “part of a Kremlin drive to win business and restore influence that faded after the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union, which backed leftist governments and movements across the continent throughout the Cold War.”

Africa without Russia

Even though Russia has made so much money from selling arms to African countries, Moscow still lags far behind competitors in trade with Africa.

Russia says its trade with African countries rose to $20 billion in 2018.

However, Russia still does not rank among Africa’s top five largest partners for trade in goods, according to data from Eurostat.

The Eurostat data has the following blocs or nations topping the list of international trade with Africa, in that order-- European Union, China, India, the United States and the United Arab Emirates.

President Donald Trump (L) and President Buhari at the White House in 2018 (R)
President Donald Trump (L) and President Buhari at the White House in 2018 (R)
The prize for Russia in Africa is greater political clout on a continent with 54 United Nations member states, vast mineral wealth and potentially lucrative markets for Russian-manufactured weapons, writes Reuters.

Addressing dozens of African heads of state at the two-day summit, Putin said he wants Russia’s trade with African countries to double over the next four to five years.

He also said Moscow has written off African debts to the tune of over $20 billion.

Coming to Nigeria

Russia is interested in a 200-million Nigerian market that has been dominated by the United States and China for far too long.

To ignore Nigeria is to ignore doing business with the African continent, given the country's sheer size and population.

At stake in Nigeria are untapped oil and gas reserves, mineral and human resources and agriculture proceeds. Russia certainly wants a piece of the pie and has entered agreements with Nigeria this week to make that possible.

President Muhammadu Buhari and President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan. [Twitter/@SPNigeria]
President Muhammadu Buhari and President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan. [Twitter/@SPNigeria]
“We can do a lot together,” Russia President Putin told President Buhari in Sochi.

To prove how serious he is about doing business with Nigeria, Putin has agreed to supply 12 Mi-35 attack helicopters to Nigeria in its war against insurgents, like we stated earlier.

Like Nigeria, like South Africa

Russia’s largest lender, Sberbank, and its state financial institutions have also agreed to support trade between Russia and African countries with an agreement worth $5 billion.

Illustrative photo of fighter jets (AFP)Mikhail Palinchak, Presidential Press Service via AP
Illustrative photo of fighter jets (AFP)
In an apparent show of force and to prove to the US that it is wielding its influence across the African continent, two nuclear-capable bombers landed in South Africa on a training mission on Wednesday, October 23.

The South African National Defense Force lauded the move as a sign of strong diplomatic ties between the countries.

For Africa, this appears to be an era of ‘From Russia with love.'

Written
JUDE EGBAS
Source : pulse.ng

Subject teachers needed @ www.syllaboss.com.ng/teacher.php

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by MusaChukwudi: 8:43pm On Oct 26, 2019
Are they not positioning to take the continent away from its mumu black people?

4 Likes

Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 26, 2019
See as we are running around looking for those that will help us. From UK to US to China, now Russia.
Who has ever run to us for help?
Be ashamed once.

Where will we run to again if Russia don't work?

Or as USA, UK etc are clamping down on political thieves, Russia is the new place now for stolen national cakes?

4 Likes

Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by Patented: 8:59pm On Oct 26, 2019
The helicopters will be bought, they were not donated
Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by Guestlander: 9:03pm On Oct 26, 2019
"At stake in Nigeria are untapped oil and gas reserves, mineral and human resources and agriculture proceeds. Russia certainly wants a piece of the pie and has entered agreements with Nigeria this week to make that possible."

Russia is rich in oil.

2 Likes

Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by bigpicture001: 9:09pm On Oct 26, 2019
Avoid russia...I beg naija avoid Russia...the US nd EU are our best friends....we dont want evn china
Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by respect80(m): 9:44pm On Oct 26, 2019
bigpicture001:

Avoid russia...I beg naija avoid Russia...the US nd EU are our best friends.... we dont want evn china

Are you for real?
I'm 98% sure you typed this with a made in China phone cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by aremuforlife(m): 9:47pm On Oct 26, 2019
bigpicture001:

Avoid russia...I beg naija avoid Russia...the US nd EU are our best friends....we dont want evn china
smiley[quote][/quote]
I am not an allied of Russia but US and EU are not our friend. They dont have interest in mind

3 Likes

Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by bigpicture001: 10:32pm On Oct 26, 2019
aremuforlife:
smiley
I am not an allied of Russia but US and EU are not our friend. They dont have interest in mind

How?
Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by Midas01: 10:33pm On Oct 26, 2019
A partnership with Russia would be the best. They won't want to force homosexuality and transgenderism on Nigeria as they themselves are intolerant of it.
Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by bigpicture001: 10:42pm On Oct 26, 2019
respect80:

Are you for real?
I'm 98% sure you typed this with a made in China phone cheesy

I use blackberry
Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by blueghost(m): 10:46pm On Oct 26, 2019
Scratch my back and I scratch yours

1 Like

Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by LOMBARDY(m): 1:12am On Oct 27, 2019
Sometimes I pity for Africa

2 Likes

Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by Oooops: 1:17am On Oct 27, 2019
Like avoiding d lion but playing with it’s cub.
You think Putin is an idiot abi Smh
Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by Solsix(m): 4:52am On Oct 27, 2019
We are going back to colonialism
Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by udumosam23(m): 5:58am On Oct 27, 2019
They're simply interested in our newly discovered uranium. Nigeria is so blessed I swear.
Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by respect80(m): 6:19am On Oct 27, 2019
bigpicture001:

I use blackberry

Hmmm!

Lie-nus

Re: Why Russia Is So Interested In Nigeria All Of A Sudden by iammo(m): 7:06am On Oct 27, 2019
grin

Africans feeling funky...

Russia dont need us, we need them and that was why our presidents where the ones visiting puttin

(1) (Reply)

Ayetoro Community On The Brink Of Extinction (PICTURES) / Likely Outcome Of Bayelsa And Kogi Polls / EEDC Enugu State starts ceasing and disconnection of citizen electricity metres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.