Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,020 members, 7,825,214 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

182-year Old Letter: How I Was Sold Into Slavery – Ajayi Crowther - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 182-year Old Letter: How I Was Sold Into Slavery – Ajayi Crowther (387 Views)

Employer Of Nigerian Sold Into Slavery Arrested By Lebanese Police / Sunday Ajayi Is Dead! Anambra FRSC Boss Dies In Accident (Photo) / Naira Now 182 To 1 Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

182-year Old Letter: How I Was Sold Into Slavery – Ajayi Crowther by Kazeem26: 11:59pm On Oct 28, 2019
One of the victims of slave trade was Bishop Ajayi Crowther, though rescued along with some other captives by some British anti-slavery frigates on the Atlantic before the vessel that carried them sailed to the Americas.

Sourced from, A Patriot to The Core: Bishop Ajayi Crowther by Professor J. F. Ade-Ajayi, in this 182-year old letter, Crowther narrated how he was captured as a boy, sold, bartered for disposable articles, rescued and others.

Ajayi Crowther was ordained as the first African bishop of the Anglican Church. He was 12 years old when he was captured, along with his mother and toddler brother and other family members, along with his entire village, by Muslim Fulani slave raiders in 1821 and sold to Portuguese slave traders.

In his 1837 letter to Rev. Williams Jowett, then Secretary of the Church Missionary Society, Crowther narrated his capture into slavery and rescue.

Read the Letter in full:
Source: https://theflashng.com/182-year-old-letter-how-i-was-sold-into-slavery-ajayi-crowther/

Re: 182-year Old Letter: How I Was Sold Into Slavery – Ajayi Crowther by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 29, 2019
Which Muslim Fulani? Lies

His fellow brown roof republic brother sold him out according to history.

(1) (Reply)

Pure Honey For Sale / Prado And Hilux For Sale . / He Needs To Sell This Benz Badly To Travel Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.