Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,432 members, 7,954,702 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:35 AM

Facial Tribal Marks In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Facial Tribal Marks In Nigeria (606 Views)

Nigerian Lady Shows Off Newborn Baby’s Tribal Marks / Baby Girl's Face Mutilated With Tribal Marks (Photo) / Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Facial Tribal Marks In Nigeria by fkj950ax(m): 10:30am On Oct 29, 2019
This is to provide historical perspective to a misnomer on NL especially by the younger generation, who inadvertently use this non-awareness as a tool to cast aspersion on a tribe.

Please read. No oun intended. No insults meant. Strictly for information and knowledge transfer

Nwannadozie Ogbuefi (1882 - 1941) picture taken circa 1911, shared here with the permission of Amaka Ogbuefi - Chuka.

The photograph was taken by the British colonial anthropologist Northcote Thomas during the second tour of his anthropological survey of Southern Nigeria (1910-11). This was taken in My village in 1911.

The negatives of the photographs are held by the Royal Anthropological Institute and prints are indeed in the collection of the University of Cambridge Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.

My dad has always cried and lamented even to my hubby that no one thought to take a picture of his dad before he died and he wishes he had a picture of him.

So last week my cousin (an Nnama) sent it to me from the US. Apparently there is a 3 year project going on now by a UK professor about all those colonial archives. So they did an exhibit in my village with the pictures. At the time the pictures where taken, Nnama was the Chief. So they came to my village to exhibit the pictures to see if they could be identified and reconnected to the families. Nnama’s identified their great grandfather and one-off time then took it up to identity the other people with him. In the process identified my grandfather.

His name is Prof Paul Basu
paul.basu@soas.ac.uk. – see
https://re-entanglements.net

https://www./nigeriannostalgiaproject/permalink/3449522041755220/

(1) (Reply)

10 Facts To Know About Umoja, A Village In Kenya Occupied Only By Women / 2022 Is The Year Of Death / Help Needed In Loan Recovery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.