Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,938 members, 7,817,747 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Which Off Roader Please? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Off Roader Please? (5592 Views)

MOAR eBike:This Foldable Electric Off-roader Bike Is Strong Enough to Tow An SUV / Jeep Unveils The 2020 Gladiator Off-roader That Is Part SUV,Part Pickup / Brabus 900 Unveiled As The Most Powerful V12 Off-roader In The World (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 3:50am On Oct 30, 2019
Good morning people. Abeg, I need to hear your views, opinion and personal experiences with some of these cars listed below.

Ford Escape (2009 onwards but not the newer design though)

Acura MDX (2008)

Mazda CX9 (2008+)

Infinity FX 35 (2008)

Honda Pilot (2009)

I need something that could tackle Naija road but do so with some degree of comfort and good handling. Coming from an Xterra, I appreciate the overall off road capabilities of that car but I need something more refined.

Please people, this is not a thread about how one car is better than the other but what will probably fit into my need.

I have looked at the Acura MDX and Mazda CX9 a lot more just because they both appear to offer that good ground clearance, relatively newish design, good off road capabilities, good handling and shape of both have grown on me.

I also like the Ford Escape - I've had experience with the 2004/5 model, however, I have no clue as to how the more boxy 2009 version will handle Naija roads and level of comfort.

Anyway, enough story. Make I hear from you people. Thank you all in advance.

1 Like

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by Kreamie(m): 5:49am On Oct 30, 2019
Hilux
Tacoma
Tundra
Nissan trucks grin

3 Likes

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:38am On Oct 30, 2019
The only car remotely useful off-road among the ones you listed is the Pilot.

>Off-road
>Infiniti FX.

Thanks for the laugh.

Go get a 4runner or Pathfinder.

2 Likes

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 2:52pm On Oct 30, 2019
HeavenlyBang:
The only car remotely useful off-road among the ones you listed is the Pilot.

>Off-road
>Infiniti FX.

Thanks for the laugh.

Go get a 4runner or Pathfinder.

Pathfinder I don't mind. I used an Xterra before and they are probably similar and I'm guessing the Pathy is probably more comfortable.

Can you tell me more about the pilot if you have any experience of it. Thanks.
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by nurey(m): 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2019
ElRazur:
Good morning people. Abeg, I need to hear your views, opinion and personal experiences with some of these cars listed below.

Acura MDX (2008)

Mazda CX9 (2008+)

Infinity FX 35 (2008)

Honda Pilot (2009)

I need something that could tackle Naija road but do so with some degree of comfort and good handling. Coming from an Xterra, I appreciate the overall off road capabilities of that car but I need something more refined.

Please people, this is not a thread about how one car is better than the other but what will probably fit into my need.

I have looked at the Acura MDX and Mazda CX9 a lot more just because they both appear to offer that good ground clearance, relatively newish design, good off road capabilities, good handling and shape of both have grown on me.

I also like the Ford Escape - I've had experience with the 2004/5 model, however, I have no clue as to how the more boxy 2009 version will handle Naija roads and level of comfort.

if you are in Lagos, I mean living and working in Lagos just buy the Honda Pilot. it has less sensor and not complicated and parts would be affordable and available.

The roads are bad and flooded, the Honda will take the beating over and over and over and over ... again grin without breaking a bank.

4 Likes

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 9:33pm On Oct 30, 2019
nurey:

if you are in Lagos, I mean living and working in Lagos just buy the Honda Pilot. it has less sensor and not complicated and parts would be affordable and available.

The roads are bad and flooded, the Honda will take the beating over and over and over and over ... again grin without breaking a bank.

I appreciate your input bro.

Base is kwara with occasional travel, so being able to handle the bad roads and comfort is paramount.

Will look into the Honda Pilot. Any spec I may want to avoid or all na same? Thanks.
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by nurey(m): 9:56pm On Oct 30, 2019
ElRazur:

I appreciate your input bro.

Base is kwara with occasional travel, so being able to handle the bad roads and comfort is paramount.

Will look into the Honda Pilot. Any spec I may want to avoid or all na same? Thanks.

All pilot are same but the most luxurious trim is the "Touring" other trims are
LX
EX
EX-L
SE (2015)

1 Like

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by kernniejay(m): 1:15pm On Oct 31, 2019
Mid-range SUVs, go for Toyota Highlander (2008) or Honda Pilot (2008).

1 Like

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 9:31pm On Oct 31, 2019
kernniejay:
Mid-range SUVs, go for Toyota Highlander (2008) or Honda Pilot (2008).

Thank you.

I have read all kind of wonderful stuff about Toyota Highlander and how they are almost unbreakable. I find the styling bland but the newer shape are better aesthetically.

Honda Pilot, I do like that one.

So based on the feed back here, my list is looking like this.

Honda Pilot and Nissan Pathfinder as the two main ones.

I really like the Infiniti FX35 but I am hoping someone with experience can shed more light in them.
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by nurey(m): 10:09pm On Oct 31, 2019
ElRazur:

Thank you.

I have read all kind of wonderful stuff about Toyota Highlander and how they are almost unbreakable. I find the styling bland but the newer shape are better aesthetically.

I really like the Infiniti FX35 but I am hoping someone with experience can shed more light in them.

The FX35 isn't a bad car, uses a VQ35DE and parts related to other Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.

issues

1. body parts are very expensive and vandals know these so if you don't park much in an enclosed compound, they would burgle your car, especially the headlamps, the 2 coat 120k grin

2. Minor electrical issues especially if you use a battery rating less than 100amps

3. it drives like a car so expect to feel every uneven surface on the road. if you are also tall, the roofline go be some how.

4. The RWD variant dey choo tire like no man's business, if you come buy chinko knockoff he go dey shed am like crocodile tears.

Apart from that, the vehicle is fast, the exhaust note is catchy, the stance is intimidating and the luxury is superb what's more ladies won't let you rest grin they will want to rape you in an Infiniti till Infiniti grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
nurey:

The FX35 isn't a bad car, uses a VQ35DE and parts related to other Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.

grin

Thank you for the post.

I think what you mentioned made me really wanted the Infiniti even more but the thought of paying 120k plus head lamp casing isn't funny. My base na Kwara and it may result in additional cost just in case they do not have one.

The roads are mostly okayish in Kwara but travelling is one the thing I tend to do when in around so the stuff suspension may be a bit off putting as I wanted to travel in relative comfort.

I won't lie, I still have my eyes on it and still have it on my list but let's wait and see.
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:31pm On Nov 01, 2019
The Infiniti FX is NOT an off-roader.

2 Likes

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by Sellfish(m): 11:54pm On Nov 01, 2019
All the vehicles you listed are notorious for roll-overs...that's what Nigerians call Somersault grin

Forget the name....if it's not a Range Rover, Merc G63 or G55, or a land cruiser or land Rover, be careful how you put your trust in these cars with high suspension called 'SUV'...

That high ground clearance which you think is an advantage because of bad roads becomes a handicap when navigating bends ...

Point is....get whatever among them suits you.. Just don't follow into a bend at equal speed that Camry or Golf 4 ...also avoid side slanting slopes because the road-Grip of these so called SUVs are nothing spectacular. ..and once again that high centre of gravity makes a side sloping road quite perilous

4 Likes

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 4:15pm On Nov 02, 2019
Sellfish:
All the vehicles you listed are notorious for roll-overs...that's what Nigerians call Somersault grin

Thank you.

I don't think rolling over is much of an issue with me. I agree that they are more likely to rollover due to higher center of gravity, however manufacturers tend to implement safety features - side curtain airbags, antiroll cage, Electronic Brake Distribution, anti skid system and various other functions to counter this known issue.

I think it is probably more common to see cars roll over due to lack of road knowledge and the minimal experience of the driver (or maybe even total exaggeration of their driving skills)

No one in their right sense should hit a corner in an SUV at high speeds or attempt to race with a car that's a ton or two lighter.

I take active and preemptive action in the Xterra when driving and so far touch wood.

2 Likes

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 4:15pm On Nov 02, 2019
HeavenlyBang:
The Infiniti FX is NOT an off-roader.

Agreed. Thank you.
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 2:19am On Nov 05, 2019
Guys, thought on 2005/6 Toyota 4Runner?
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by RZArecta2(m): 5:49am On Nov 05, 2019
ElRazur:
Guys, thought on 2005/6 Toyota 4Runner?
in your list, I’ve used only the pilot (05) and that’s what I can vouch for but as per your other criteria’s then the Volvo XC90 is your best bet even compared to the prices of the other cars you mentioned. If you can get someone to allow you test drive for a few minutes then you’ll understand what I’m talking about. Contact valarinzautos if interested

2 Likes

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 1:04pm On Nov 05, 2019
RZArecta2:
in your list, I’ve used only the pilot (05) and that’s what I can vouch for but as per your other criteria’s then the Volvo XC90 is your best bet even compared to the prices of the other cars you mentioned. If you can get someone to allow you test drive for a few minutes then you’ll understand what I’m talking about. Contact valarinzautos if interested

Thanks for the post.

I did noticed that they are a bit cheaper than most things on my list apart from the Infiniti FX35. I ruled them out as I wasn't sure of parts and the general look. However, I have read a few thread on here that suggest that parts are readily available etc. Also the power ratio from front well to back isn't evenly distributed but I don't know what practical difference this is going to make in real life drive and daily use.

I will look into them again and see if anything changes.
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by foolbuster: 4:15pm On Nov 11, 2019
ElRazur:

Acura MDX (2008)

Mazda CX9 (2008+)

Infinity FX 35 (2008)

Honda Pilot (2009)

I'll say go for the mdx for these reasons.
1) it is a true suv, good ground clearance and an amazing AWD system plus apart from the fx 35 which is practically a car and not an Suv, the mdx has the best balance and handling. Comes standard with 18 inch wheels and can wear 22s comfortably. You'll hardly get stuck in a 300hp AWD machine that is wearing 22 inches.

2) it is very reliable. Hardly breaks down. Engine is almost indestructible.

3) it is the most powerful from your choice. And not that thirsty.

4) luxurious, with all the modern electronics and comes standard with backrow seats.

However it comes at a price. Its the most expensive of the bunch. Happy car hunting.

1 Like

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by nurey(m): 4:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
[quote author=foolbuster post=83935186]

1) it is a true suv, good ground clearance and an amazing AWD system plus apart from the fx 35 which is practically a car and not an Suv, the mdx has the best balance and handling. Comes standard with 18 inch wheels and can wear 22s comfortably. You'll hardly get stuck in a 300hp AWD machine that is wearing 22 inches.

modified
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
[quote author=nurey post=83936278][/quote]

What was the modification??
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by nurey(m): 6:13pm On Nov 11, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

What was the modification??
ENYA Caribbean Blues
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 1:16am On Nov 13, 2019
foolbuster:

2) it is very reliable. Hardly breaks down. Engine is almost indestructible.

3) it is the most powerful from your choice. And not that thirsty.

4) luxurious, with all the modern electronics and comes standard with backrow seats.

However it comes at a price. Its the most expensive of the bunch. Happy car hunting.

Thank you.

I really do like the car and it is growing on me.

With the bigger wheels, I don't know if all terrain tyres could be fitted on it? My Xterra got those and I think they are way more useful in tackling Naija road than regular tyres.

You mentioned all the sweet electronic toys, I think it is nice but then what are the chances of fiddly electronic issues down the line?
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by foolbuster: 9:34am On Nov 13, 2019
ElRazur:

Thank you.

I really do like the car and it is growing on me.

With the bigger wheels, I don't know if all terrain tyres could be fitted on it? My Xterra got those and I think they are way more useful in tackling Naija road than regular tyres.

You mentioned all the sweet electronic toys, I think it is nice but then what are the chances of fiddly electronic issues down the line?

The mdx is not known to give electronics issues. Besides with your budget you will be getting the not so new models 2007-2013. And they dont have those complex electronics associated with later models.
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by kernniejay(m): 8:55pm On Nov 19, 2019
ElRazur:

Thank you.

Infiniti FX35 is a no go area if you need an easy to maintain SUV, but if you are looking for money guzzler, you are good with FX35.
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:09pm On Nov 19, 2019
kernniejay:

Infiniti FX35 is a no go area if you need an easy to maintain SUV, but if you are looking for money guzzler, you are good with FX35.

Speak of things you know or remain silent.

2 Likes

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by nurey(m): 10:51pm On Nov 19, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Speak of things you know or remain silent.
The guy has a right to his opinion nah grin
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by ElRazur: 11:51pm On Nov 19, 2019
kernniejay:

LOL. Thank you.

I like that car too sha.

Currently looking at couple of Pilots and Acura MDX. Hopefully I should post an update with pictures at some point sha.

2 Likes

Re: Which Off Roader Please? by thebigkendo(m): 5:20am On Nov 20, 2019
nurey:

The guy has a right to his opinion nah grin

Exactly!!! Same way HeavenlyBang has his opinion on the Benz thread grin
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:22am On Nov 20, 2019
thebigkendo:

Exactly!!! Same way HeavenlyBang has his opinion on the Benz thread grin

Y'all have gotten this all twisted up.
I don't think Mercedes makes bad cars. At all. I like MB.
I'm just being a foil to the delusory Daimler hype machine that plagues the Internet.
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by thebigkendo(m): 5:27am On Nov 20, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Y'all have gotten this all twisted up.
I don't think Mercedes makes bad cars. At all. I like MB.
I'm just being a foil to the delusory Daimler hype machine that plagues the Internet.

It's the same thing we are saying na..
Your opinion.. & you keep forcing it on them
Re: Which Off Roader Please? by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:33am On Nov 20, 2019
thebigkendo:

It's the same thing we are saying na..
Your opinion.. & you keep forcing it on them

It's my civic duty to educate the ignorant.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets Discus Your Car Problems. / Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 / Fake Vehicle Papers, How To Know….

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.