Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu (624 Views)

Lagosians Beg For Food While Seyi Rocks A N340 Million Richard Mille Wristwatch / 'The Famine That Will Hit Nigeria This Year, Only God Can Save Us' - Jamil Mabai / Keep Okada But Return Keke - Lagos Commuters Beg Sanwo-Olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by nairavsdollars(f): 7:01am On Oct 31, 2019
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Lagos residents are calling on the state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to check the excesses of the state’s Vehicles Inspection Officers (VIOs) who are reportedly unleashing mayhem on motorists in the state.

Following series of complaints by Lagosians on the activities of the VIO officials and the nuisance they allegedly constitute on the roads while discharging their duties, former governor of Lagos State, Akinwunmi Ambode, had in May 2017 directed them to stop operating on Lagos roads.

The governor also advised the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) to restrict their operations to highways and stay off streets in the Lagos metropolis.

Ambode, who said the state would employ technology to track and monitor vehicle registration and MOT certifications, said it had been observed that VIOs and FRSC contributed significantly to traffic gridlock in the Lagos metropolis.

Speaking then with our reporter, a source in the state’s Ministry of Transport said the primary reason why Ambode banned the VIO officials was the mounting public complaints against their unprofessional operations.

Ambode had said: “Let me use this opportunity to reiterate that Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIOs) have been asked to stay off our roads permanently.

“We also advise the Federal Road Safety Corps to stay on the fringes and highways and not on the main streets of Lagos.
“It has become evident that these agencies contribute to the traffic challenges on our roads. We will employ technology to track and monitor vehicle registration and MOT certifications.”

Motorists and commuters in Lagos, who had been subjected to untold trauma in the hands of the VIO officials could not hide their joy at what they described as a right step to end official tyranny on Lagos roads.

They also praised Ambode for the decision, saying it was the best gift he had given them.

According to Lagosians, for Ambode to remove the VIO officials from Lagos roads despite the amount of money they raked in for the state government showed that he placed priority on the welfare of the people above material gains.

However, to the surprise of many Lagosians, without any prior announcement from the state government, the VIO officials found their way back to the streets few months after Ambode’s successor, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, was sworn in.

Speaking with newsmen shortly after their return, the former Director, Lagos State Vehicle Inspection Service, Gbolahan Toriola, said his officials were back on Lagos roads with a refined way of inspecting vehicles.

“We have installed the ANPR in strategic locations, which is also installed on our vehicles, once our vehicles are parked at any location within the city, it captures vehicles that go against the traffic rules and vehicles without plate numbers, and their fines are being sent to them in their homes.
“What we are doing now is of less human, and more technology, interface to combat traffic offence; which makes our job easier,” he said.

He noted that defaulters had been paying their fines from home. Toriola said his men were out there to look out for rickety vehicles, overloaded vehicles, as well as those that didn’t have number plates, which was against the law, and vehicles on its blacklist.

However, many motorists said that the VIO officials were still operating in their old ways, arresting motorists indiscriminately and causing traffic gridlocks all in a bid to arrest just one or two cars.

Speaking with our correspondent, a public transporter in Ojota, Jimoh Kareem, accused the VIO officials of extortion, saying most of the fees generated usually went to their private pockets. He said it was unfortunate that they were returned to the roads.

“The governor should tell us why he returned these VIO people to the roads. They are wicked and they lack human empathy.
“Whenever I see them, I develop high blood pressure because no matter how you try to meet up with your particulars, they’ll still find one fault or another so as to fine you.

“I understand not all the fund they generate goes into the coffers of the state government. Some are shared among party leaders who some of these VIO officials work for. That was one of the reasons they removed Ambode,” he said.

Also speaking, another motorist who preferred to be anonymous, said in a bid to generate funds, some of the VIO officials had taken over the jobs of police traffic wardens, LASTMA, and FRSC.

“My concern is that all these VIO officials are after is money. It is like they have given them a target to recoup all they lost during the period they were taken off the streets. They still cause traffic gridlock everywhere they operate.

“Recently, there is a picture online where VIO officials and policemen were fighting over who should inspect vehicles in Surulere area of Lagos, all because they want to collect money from motorists.

“To me, I think they are doing more harm than good to the image of the state government because while the governor is trying his best to rid Lagos of traffic gridlock, these men are causing more traffic through their operations.”

Several others, who spoke with Daily Independent over the issue, corroborated the respondents.

However, Engr. Akin-George Fashola, the Director of VIS, described as untrue reports that his men were still operating in the old way.
He said: “It is not true. We are not operating in the old way again. We don’t stop vehicles on the road anymore to check for documents. What we do basically on the road now is to remove overloaded vehicles or vehicles that have visual defects.

“We don’t check for documentations anymore on the road because we now use technology to do it. We have channels located around the state now, Automatic Number Plates Recognition (ANPR) channels.What they do specifically is to check for vehicles’ licence, road worthiness certificate, insurance.

“What we do on the roads due to the limitations of technology is to remove vehicles that are not road worthy from the roads; vehicles with cracked windscreens, overloaded or that don’t have any headlights and other things like that.

“I’m not sure where that report is coming from because we don’t use that mode of operation anymore.”
Also speaking on the allegation of corruption levelled against some of his men, Fashola denied the claim, saying VIO officials do not receive cash from offenders. According to him, fines are done through online payment or paid to the banks.
He, however, urged anyone with evidence to come forward, adding that sanctions would be meted out to defaulting officials.
https://www.independent.ng/lagosians-lament-excesses-of-vios/

1 Like

Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by daddytime(m): 7:11am On Oct 31, 2019
Those guys can be so annoying especially the Abuja ones...

They disgust me to no end because of their overzealousness and high handedness.

The military and other paramilitaries have nothing on them according to how they view themselves.

1 Like

Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by capitalzero: 7:18am On Oct 31, 2019
unfortunately, nobody is governing lagos.
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by princemillla(m): 7:23am On Oct 31, 2019
capitalzero:
unfortunately, nobody is governing lagos.

Oh you too notice am? Lagos state is on auto pilot. So sad
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by helinues: 7:25am On Oct 31, 2019
Lagos Wenjele..

Everything Na opportunity to her residence
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 31, 2019
It's because of these excesses that Ambode ordered them out of Lagos roads.

They extort motorists and yet do not remit to state coffers. Seems they remit to Bourdillon.

And that's why it was counted as one of Ambode's sins.

Now they baby rubber they installed is doing everything they asked him to.

#FreeLagos
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by popsy2(m): 7:44am On Oct 31, 2019
Truly, the VIO officials have become a pain in the ars.
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by EkwensuAmosu1: 7:59am On Oct 31, 2019
[s]
helinues:
Lagos Wenjele..

Everything Na opportunity to her residence
[/s]
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by Introvertedmarc: 8:58am On Oct 31, 2019
Why are we complaining... ?

We voted the person that brought them back..
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by nairavsdollars(f): 7:51pm On Oct 31, 2019
Abujai thought VIO is only in Lagos

daddytime:
Those guys can be so annoying especially the Abuja ones...

They disgust me to no end because of their overzealousness and high handedness.

The military and other paramilitaries have nothing on them according to how they view themselves.
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by Ashabbiiee: 8:01pm On Oct 31, 2019
Honestly, those men are just only after extorting money, otherwise, what are they doing that Traffic police cant do?

Awol1:
It's because of these excesses that Ambode ordered them out of Lagos roads.

They extort motorists and yet do not remit to state coffers. Seems they remit to Bourdillon.

And that's why it was counted as one of Ambode's sins.

Now they baby rubber they installed is doing everything they asked him to.

#FreeLagos

1 Like

Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by daddytime(m): 9:27pm On Oct 31, 2019
nairavsdollars:
Abujai thought VIO is only in Lagos

In fact, Abuja own dey so bad sotey even when I dey outside Abuja inside vehicle wey be say no be me Dey Drive, once I see dem my heart dey cut.

I kolo pass dem o but you must first humble

From what I've learnt, they aren't under FG's payroll so they are hustle their own salary however...crazy I must say.
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by newlandf: 1:45am On Nov 01, 2019
in
Re: Save Us From Corrupt VIO Officials, Lagosians Beg Sanwo-Olu by NaijaHeadlines: 3:05am On Nov 01, 2019
Hmm..

(1) (Reply)

The Senate Without Dino / Just-in: Electricity Workers Begin Nationwide Strike / Nigerian Court Rules Against Arrest Of Sex Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.