Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,690 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Poverty-stricken Student, 24, Weighs Only THREE STONE After Being Forced To Star - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Poverty-stricken Student, 24, Weighs Only THREE STONE After Being Forced To Star (345 Views)

Malignant Growth Stricken BBC Podcaster Deborah James Says She Was Moved To Tear / I Have Suddenly Been Stricken With P.E And E.D. Help! / 10-month-old Baby Boy Who Already Weighs As Much As A Nine-year-old (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poverty-stricken Student, 24, Weighs Only THREE STONE After Being Forced To Star by stellapatu: 5:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
A poverty-stricken 24-year-old Chinese student weighs only a bit more than three stone because she couldn't afford to buy food, leading her to suffer from severe malnutrition.

Wu Huayan from rural Guizhou Province only has two yuan (20p) to spare each day on meals because she has to save money to treat her sick brother.

Ms Wu, who stands 4ft 5in tall and weighs 21.5kg (47 pounds), has been hospitalised and is awaiting surgery thanks to donations from Good Samaritans after her story was featured by Chinese media.

Ms Wu is a student at the Shenghua Vocational College in the city of Tongren.

Her mother died when she was four and her father died when she was 18, leaving her to be the sole carer of her younger brother who is mentally ill.Ms Wu says she receives 300 yuan (£33) per month from the local government as welfare, but with that money she also needs to cover part of her sibling's medical bills.

For the past five years, she has lived extremely frugally, eating as little food as possible.

'I am not like other people who can ask for money from their parents after they spend it. I don't have parents,' she said in a video interview.

With an impossible two yuan daily food budget, she is only allowed to eat two steam buns or two bowls of plain steamed rice.

'I used to have plenty of hair. But in the third year of high school, my hair started to fall out in lumps, so did my eyebrows,' Ms Wu said.

She added that her brother had to be hospitalised in the same year.

Although the government covered half of her brother's medical bills, she still had to borrow 5,000 yuan (£548) to pay for the rest.

More details; https://www.paxexlive.com/thread/poverty-stricken-student-24-weighs-only-three-stone-after-being-forced-to-starve-for-five-years-because-she-has-to-save-money-to-pay-for-her-ill-brother-s-medical-bills

Re: Poverty-stricken Student, 24, Weighs Only THREE STONE After Being Forced To Star by hisgrace090: 5:29pm On Nov 03, 2019
May God the hope to the hopeless take care of you.
Re: Poverty-stricken Student, 24, Weighs Only THREE STONE After Being Forced To Star by Nickisindigo(m): 9:30pm On Nov 03, 2019
family love
Re: Poverty-stricken Student, 24, Weighs Only THREE STONE After Being Forced To Star by julybaba(m): 9:34pm On Nov 03, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Factors To Consider When Seeking Medical Treatment Abroad / Electroencephalography EEG Technology Course 2020, Make Plans To Attend. / 5 Early Symptoms Of Cancer In Men!! All Men Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.