Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday (18344 Views)

Peter Obi Celebres Olusegun Obasanjo On His 86th Birthday (Photo) / Bukola, Gbemisola Saraki Re-Unite For Morenike Saraki's 86th Birthday / Pictures From Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday Celebration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by MrVagina: 9:39am On Nov 04, 2019
[s]
post=83727314:

What manner of kids do we have on this forum for krissake?!

Now, Slap yourself 3 times and go to school....
[/s]
Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by nwamabo247(m): 9:40am On Nov 04, 2019
Hbd ezeigbo please forgive me if i can help myself i wont be begging for help.PLEASE nairalanders my name is celestine nwankwo 28YRS OLD from ugwueme awgu L.G.A. enugu stat For almost 12yrs now i have been down with with tetraplegic spinal cord injure.no source of income because my fingers are partialy afected i have been living on family support especially my ageing mother who has been nursing me at home for all this while. but right now things are very very difficut for me and my mother who is also diabetic expecially feeding and litle medications,buying of catheters and health care needs.please i need your help in any way posible no matter how small it will make a diffrence and i am also looking for a goverment or N G O rehabilitation center for the disables that can acept my kind condition. thanks and GOD BLESS. more details.see my signature below
Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by saraki2019(m): 9:41am On Nov 04, 2019
The man that destroy Igbo ,if u know you know.

4 Likes

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 04, 2019
gidgiddy:
. Ojukwu's refusal to join Nzeogwu was one of the major reasons why the coup eventually failed.

so you acknowledge Ojukwu knew about the coup before hand? who did he warn in the Nigerian Army? Zik was also away on an unusually long cruise

when I say Nigeria will never have an Ibo president , you only need to go back to 1966-1970 to know why.

9 Likes

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Sanchez01: 9:43am On Nov 04, 2019
Shawnnn01:
How come your tale telling did not start from from Igbos slaughtering the premiers of South and Northern region leaving only the Igbo premier of Eastern region and then top their blood thirst by brutally murdering the first democratically elected prime minister of Nigeria and in the barbarian style still dragged his lifeless body all over Lagos with many of their kinsmen jubilation at such gruesome bedevilment ?

The coup was no doubt one sided and executed with an agenda. Ojukwu's hands are not in any way clean, particularly for stashing food away for his family and generals and for unnecessarily stretching the war when he should have surrendered, resulting to massive famine and cannibalism but it shouldn't be hard respecting the dead.

Sheath ya sword.

4 Likes

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Cyoung4real(m): 9:44am On Nov 04, 2019
Shawnnn01:
HE can with all pleasure rot in hell for all I care.
ga gwa ya nne gi na nna gi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Beverlyjean(f): 9:45am On Nov 04, 2019
gidgiddy:
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu was born in Zungeru, Northern Nigeria, to Sir Louis Philip Odumegwu Ojukwu on 4th November 1933. At an early age, his father moved him to Lagos where he had set up a thriving Transport business. Ojukwu attended Kings College Lagos until the age of 13 when his father now sent him to Epsom College, Surrey, England. From Epsom, Ojukwu proceeded to the prestigious Oxford University where he bagged a degree and masters degree in History.

On his return to Nigeria in 1955, Ojukwus father, who had by this time become one of the richest men in Nigeria, offered his son a top position in his business empire, which Ojukwu rejected. To the consternation of his father, Ojukwu joined the civil service of the Eastern Region and was posted as an assistant district officer of Udi division, in present day Enugu state. In 1956, Ojukwu was tranfered to Aba. It was while at Aba that Ojukwu attended a party where he met a newly commissioned Army officer called Robert Adeyinka Adebayo. Robert Adebayo told Ojukwu that the Nigerian Army was desperately short of Army officers. Ojukwu noted this. A few weeks later, Ojukwu was promoted to District officer and posted to Calabar. On hearing that his son was posted to Calabar, Ojukwus father used his influence with the colonial authorities to cancel the posting. When Ojukwu heard of this, he angrily resigned and drove to Kaduna where he enlisted into the Army as a lowly recruit. When Ojukwus father heard he had joined the Army, he cut off his son and both men would not talk to each other for almost 5 years. The British military officers at Kaduna kept wondering what an Oxford graduate was doing as a common recruit in the Army and decided to send Ojukwu on an officer cadet course. Ojukwu went Eaton Hall Officers training course and small arms training School Hythe, both in England. He returned to Nigeria in 1957 and was commissioned a second Lieutenant. Ojukwu became the first graduate to join the Nigerian Army. He was promoted to Lieutenant in 1958, Captain 1960, Major 1962 and Lt Col in 1964.

Ojukwu was commander of the 4th Battalion, Kano, when a coup led by Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu was effected on the 15th of January 1966. Ojukwu's refusal to join Nzeogwu was one of the major reasons why the coup eventually failed. The coup resulted in General Ironsi coming to power. Subsequently, Ironsi appointed Ojukwu military Governor of the Eastern Region.

Northern elements of the Nigerian Army staged a coup 6 months later on the 29th of July 1966 in which they killed over 300 Eastern Army officers, mainly Igbos. This green lighted a pogrom where over 50, 000 Easterners, mainly Igbos were murdered in broad daylight by Northern mobs. With the massacre of killing of Igbos all over Nigeria, mainly in the North, Easterners besieged Ojukwu and asked him to pull the Eastern Region out of Nigeria. Meanwhile, the highest ranking Northerner at the time, Lt Col Gowon assumed power. Ojukwu was bitterly against it stating that the most senior officer, Brigadier Ogundipe should be the rightful person to take over according to military tradition. As the killing of Easterners continued in wave after wave of remorseless genocide, million of Easterners returned to the East and more pressure was put on Ojukwu to declare the Eastern Region a separate country. The then President Of Ghana, General Joe Ankrah intervened. He invited Gowon and Ojukwu to his Hiltop Mansion in Aburi, Ghana, for peace talks. On the 4th of January 1967, Gowon and Ojukwu arrived at Aburi and spent the next 2 days in talks. In the end, Gowon and Ojukwu reached a deal that was to be known as the 'Aburi Accord'. In return for Ojukwu recognising Gowon as head of state and accepting Nigeria as one indivisible entity, Gowon agreed to 12 points which included the establishment of Regional police and Army, abrogation of decree 34, rehabilitation of Easterners affected by the pogrom, but most importantly, that Gowon would not change the 4 Regional structure of Nigeria unless the 4 Regional Military Governors of the time agreed with him. Essentially, the Aburi agreement turned Nigeria into a confederation of 4 Regions. Ojukwu and Gowon signed the agreement in front General Ankrah and shook hands. No sooner had Gowon returned to Nigeria than the full import of what he signed started to hit him. Northerners hated the agreement because it deprived them of what they wanted, the economic and political control of Nigeria. On the 26th of May 1967, Gowon broke the Aburi agreement by announcing Decree 14 which abolished the 4 Regions and replaced them with 12 states. This he did without consulting anybody as stipulated in the Aburi accord. On the 27th of May, Ojukwu then convened the Eastern Nigeria consultative Assembly, a group that consisted of the leaders and traditional rulers of the 20 provinces that made up the Eastern Region. Ojukwu asked them to advice him on the way forward since Gowon had broken the agreement. The assembly met for 2 days and reached a resolution mandating Ojukwu to declare the Eastern Region a separate country. One of the members of the assembly, an Ijaw man called Frank Opigo, suggested the name "Biafra" to Ojukwu for the new country since the Eastern was once historically know by that name.

On the 30th of May 1967, Ojukwu declared the Eastern as the "Republic Of Biafra"

Ojukwu chose the amber red-black-green Marcus Gavey flag of freedom with a rising sun that had eleven rays on it as the flag of the new Republic. The eleven Ray's represented the original eleven provinces that made up the Eastern Region.

Northerners are a curse on this country ... They destroyed this country and they continue to do so

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by 01mcfadden(m): 9:47am On Nov 04, 2019
Long live the true one legend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by chukwuibuipob: 9:47am On Nov 04, 2019
cool sad embarassed lipsrsealed wink Happy posthumous birthday

2 Likes

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by gidgiddy: 9:48am On Nov 04, 2019
isthatso:

so you acknowledge Ojukwu knew about the coup before hand? who did he warn in the Nigerian Army? Zik was also away on an unusually long cruise

when I say Nigeria will never have an Ibo president , you only need to go back to 1966-1970 to know why.

Ojukwu was taken unawares by the coup, he did not know about it in advance. However, when the coup was conducted, Nzeogwu asked Ojukwu to join. Ojukwu refused and even helped put the coup down.

1 Like

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 04, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Northerners are a curse on this country ... They destroyed this country and they continue to do so

The Northerners simply responded to the ibos. all was well with Nigeria before 1966. Northerners only had political power. Now they control, everything, thanks to 1966-1970.

How can you tell someone you want o secceede and expect them to give you economic power (oil) and your own police and Army?

3 Likes

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by livebyday(m): 9:49am On Nov 04, 2019
[s]
post=83727314:

What manner of kids do we have on this forum for krissake?!

Now slap yourself 3 times and go to school...
You can start now, 1......2.....

[/s]

Seems my comments hurt you alot? grin

You seem really upset ?

Do you want some candy ? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by eternityk: 9:49am On Nov 04, 2019
gidgiddy:
Eze Igbo gburu gburu!

When all others in Southern Nigeria chose to grovel as slaves, you stood and declared the freedom of your people

With nothing you fought for 3 years for our independence

You fought for our dignity as a people

Ikemba, Dike eji ejemba, Ohamadike

May your memory persevere in our hearts until the end of time
I hope yorubas are not among the southerners u are talking about
I'm not like Yoruba's playing here
See,nothing concerns Yoruba's here
That's all I would say

2 Likes

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 04, 2019
gidgiddy:

Ojukwu was taken unawares by the coup, he did not know about it in advance. However, when the coup was conducted, Nzeogwu asked Ojukwu to join. Ojukwu refused and even helped put the coup down.

I see.
Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by gidgiddy: 9:49am On Nov 04, 2019
Shawnnn01:
How come your tale telling did not start from from Igbos slaughtering the premiers of South and Northern region leaving only the Igbo premier of Eastern region and then top their blood thirst by brutally murdering the first democratically elected prime minister of Nigeria and in the barbarian style still dragged his lifeless body all over Lagos with many of their kinsmen jubilation at such gruesome bedevilment ?

Thats because Ojukwu had nothing to do with all of that, the topic in question is about Ojukwu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by MichaelUweh(m): 9:51am On Nov 04, 2019
Happy birthday great one...even in the grave you are still remembered as an HERO.....

2 Likes

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Beverlyjean(f): 9:52am On Nov 04, 2019
isthatso:

The Northerners simply responded to the ibos. all was well with Nigeria before 1966. Northerners only had political power. Now they control, everything, thanks to 1966-1970.

How can you tell someone you want o secceede and expect them to give you economic power (oil) and your own police and Army?

Nothing was good... The coup took place because of the heavy corruption by the same government that were largely controlled by the north .... The northerners are the most corrupt tribe in the world ... They feel they own the country ... But still can't manage the resources or even empower their people ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by omenka(m): 9:52am On Nov 04, 2019
gidgiddy:
Gowon responded by dismissing Ojukwu from the Army and declaring war. On the 6th of July 1967, the Nigerian Army fired on the Biafran border town of Gakem and this started a 3 year war that ended in January 1970.
Look how this one is palpitating, desperatento cover the first page with his gibberish so people dont get a chance to shade Ojukwu.

This is exactly what I told you yesterday. Kanu was busy cursing and insulting ALL northerners yesterday. You hailed him. But you can hardly take a pinch of the same treatment if directed at those you pay allegiance to.

Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.

And try and get a job. Stop deceiving yourself. Even if the biafra thing would happen, it isnt happening even in the next twenty years. In the mean time, try and develop yourself. It's an honest advice.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by chukwuibuipob: 9:52am On Nov 04, 2019
nwamabo247:
Hbd ezeigbo please forgive me if i can help myself i wont be begging for help.PLEASE nairalanders my name is celestine nwankwo 28YRS OLD from ugwueme awgu L.G.A. enugu stat For almost 12yrs now i have been down with with tetraplegic spinal cord injure.no source of income because my fingers are partialy afected i have been living on family support especially my ageing mother who has been nursing me at home for all this while. but right now things are very very difficut for me and my mother who is also diabetic expecially feeding and litle medications,buying of catheters and health care needs.please i need your help in any way posible no matter how small it will make a diffrence and i am also looking for a goverment or N G O rehabilitation center for the disables that can acept my kind condition. thanks and GOD BLESS. more details.see my signature below
one single igbo man can help u out but whosai? We can only plead with ur pipu here help.Dear ipob yweets! Ur 500/1k contribution will change dis man story.Mercy

1 Like

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 04, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Nothing was good... The coup took place because of the heavy corruption by the same government that were largely controlled by the north .... The northerners are the most corrupt tribe in the world ... They feel they own the country ... But still can't manage the resources or even empower their people ...

In case you havent noticed, they now own the country thanks to the coup. They didnt own the country before then. before every region had power over it's resources, now thanks to the coup and the civil war we dont...everything is now controlled by the center. There are ways to settle differences without violence.

3 Likes

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 04, 2019
Eze Igbo Gburugburu.
Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu Ojukwu.

Cc lzaa gmbuharii afamed helinues omenka sarrki

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by athaboi(f): 9:55am On Nov 04, 2019
Happy Birthday ikemba
Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by LOGOBELT: 9:56am On Nov 04, 2019
Oga ooo

Meanwhile, is your Laptop faulty? Let's fix it for you. Do you need Laptop Chargers/Adapter or Cables? We sell. Check my signature for contact
Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by witworth(m): 9:57am On Nov 04, 2019
i will always respect the Igbos, at least they have a vision to be an independent nation, but the Yorubas, am too sorry for them, they want to remain slaves to the North. no vision nothing nothing, only being coward and cunny in pride even while many of them have no shishi in their pockets, all they know how to do best is bad belle, borrow millions while still in poverty just to do 100 years old burial ceremony even without a means to pay it back after the show off of "na me dey there". what a shame.
as for the North, well let them continue to enjoy another region's weath while it last, all i know is that, their times are numbered, and days for honoring themselves will soon be at an end. thank you

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by newlandf: 9:58am On Nov 04, 2019
Reset in Peace
Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by anenymasng(m): 9:59am On Nov 04, 2019
Thegamingorca:

When was that

1 Like

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 04, 2019
All this nairaland kids trying to fuel up tribalistic comments here(y'all should grow up).
My sympathy goes to to you all.

By the way, RIP to the legend.
Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by dukeprince50: 10:01am On Nov 04, 2019
MrVagina:
[s][/s]
lol, u really av a problem

1 Like

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by makinson2865: 10:01am On Nov 04, 2019
Ohhhh u mean the coward(Which IPOB see as their idol) that sacrificed his people for his selfish ambitons.
If u like rest in hell or pieces

5 Likes

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 04, 2019
witworth:
i will always respect the Igbos, at least they have a vision to be an independent nation, but the Yorubas, am too sorry them, they want to remain slaves to the North. no vision nothing nothing, only being coward and cunny in pride. what a shame.

how has that "vision" helped the igbos? Youve gone from a semi-independent nation with control of your resources and your affairs as well as the Oil producing minorities and 50% of the revenues from Oil in the SE (1966) to a totally dependent weak nation ( SE is the smallest region in Nigeria today) lost power over the Oil producing minorities and lost control of your resources to the point where you now have to go to Abuja for allocation from Oil which you previously had power over. In the process, millions of your people died, only to be worse off than you were economically and politically.

Is that not what is called penny wise pound foolish?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Sanchez01: 10:07am On Nov 04, 2019
Beverlyjean:

The North didn't start the war.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ayade Orders Demolition Of Armed Robbers And Kidnappers’ Houses / Is Senator Jarigbe Supporting APC's Presidential Candidate? / AMAZING: Two Angels Caught On Camera Flying In Brazil (pics and video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.