Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,479 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? (629 Views)

My job, The Second Most Difficult on Earth - CBN Governor, Cardoso / Second Naija Bridge Is Not Yet Uhulu / National Identity Management Company: Why Is My I.D Taking Forever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by Apeshy101(m): 4:40pm On Nov 05, 2019
Completed in December 1965, the first Niger bridge was built between 1964 and 1965 by French construction giant, Dumez, to link Onitsha and Asaba at an estimated cost of 6.75M euros.

Presently, its taking eternity and colossal budgets to build thee second Niger Bridge at same location.

Share your thoughts, why is it traking forever to fully construct the second Niger Bridge?
Re: Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by seunmsg(m): 5:27pm On Nov 05, 2019
Apeshy101:
Completed in December 1965, the first Niger bridge was built between 1964 and 1965 by French construction giant, Dumez, to link Onitsha and Asaba at an estimated cost of 6.75M euros.

Presently, its taking eternity and colossal budgets to build thee second Niger Bridge at same location.

Share your thoughts, why is it traking forever to fully construct the second Niger Bridge?

Funding is a challenge to every road construction project in Nigeria. The total budgetary allocation to Federal ministry of works and housing in the proposed 2020 budget is N297billion. Federal government have over 500 ongoing road projects that requires funding. The contract sum of the second Niger bridge is about N 210billion. That of Lagos-Ibadan phase 1&2 is also over N200billion. So you see, except you want Fashola to do a miracle, the pace of work on some of these projects would be slow since they can’t be adequately funded.

In addition, Saraki singlehandedly cut N30billion from the allocation to Lagos-Ibadan and Second Niger bridge projects and shared the money to useless constituency projects. Some of you applauded him simply because you don’t like Buhari. That decision also contributed to the slow pace of work.

The host communities have also been doing everything possible to frustrate the contractor and disrupt the project simply because they want settlement.

Accumulation of all the above and other technical issues is why the pace of work appear slow. Overall, the contractor is still onsite and work is ongoing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by Apeshy101(m): 8:37pm On Nov 05, 2019
seunmsg:

Funding is a challenge to every road construction project in Nigeria. The total budgetary allocation to Federal ministry of works and housing in the proposed 2020 budget is N297billion. Federal government have over 500 ongoing road projects that requires funding. The contract sum of the second Niger bridge is about N 210billion. That of Lagos-Ibadan phase 1&2 is also over N200billion. So you see, except you want Fashola to do a miracle, the pace of work on some of these projects would be slow since they can’t be adequately funded.

In addition, Saraki singlehandedly cut N30billion from the allocation to Lagos-Ibadan and Second Niger bridge projects and shared the money to useless constituency projects. Some of you applauded him simply because you don’t like Buhari. That decision also contributed to the slow pace of work.

The host communities have also been doing everything possible to frustrate the contractor and disrupt the project simply because they want settlement.

Accumulation of all the above and other technical issues is why the pace of work appear slow. Overall, the contractor is still onsite and work is ongoing.
Nice insight.

But do you think there were no other projects during the time of construction of the first bridge?
Re: Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by seunmsg(m): 8:51pm On Nov 05, 2019
Apeshy101:

Nice insight.

But do you think there were no other projects during the time of construction of the first bridge?

To be honest, I don’t know how easy or difficult it was to fund huge projects in the 60’s. However, I think we have more federal roads that requires funding for rehabilitation/construction today than in the 60’s.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by vanunu: 8:57pm On Nov 05, 2019
seunmsg:

To be honest, I don’t know how easy or difficult it was to fund huge projects in the 60’s. However, I think we have more federal roads that requires funding for rehabilitation/construction today than in the 60’s.

The first bridge was built by the eastern Nigerian government, not the federal government, and it took three years to complete.
Re: Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by Monogamy: 9:00pm On Nov 05, 2019
Cos it requires funding.. A lot of funding for that matter.

The little awarded for it, you should know as usual, politicians cut first before considering of using the little remaining for the project
Re: Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by Monogamy: 9:11pm On Nov 05, 2019
vanunu:

The first bridge was built by the eastern Nigerian government, not the federal government, and it took three years to complete.

Here we go again

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by Shawnnn01: 9:19pm On Nov 05, 2019
My bigoted senseless brother please ask Jonathan Ebele Cursed Peter Obi n Pius Anyim why they could not accomplish the project in the over 5 years he spent.

Apeshy101:

4 Likes

Re: Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by Shawnnn01: 9:28pm On Nov 05, 2019
You are funny...lol
I presume you must be tired from the foolish of the fools PDP forced unto NL to perpetuate grand foolishness on a daily.
Me too n only God can save one for this madness they have turned NL to.

Monogamy:

Here we go again
vanunu post=83772758:

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Second Naija Bridge Taking Forever? by Johans1991: 11:59pm On Nov 05, 2019
vanunu:

children of hate. Tell who was in charge of d eastern region then. The person that built the first bridge was killed by the same people he built the bridge for.
God bless Tafawa Balewa

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

APC Thugs On Rampage Allegedly Attacks PDP Chairman's Residence-dino (PHOTOS) / Those Profiting From Oshiomhole, Obaseki Rift Want It To Worsen – Afegbua / Dino Melaye Vs Adeyemi: APC Leading With Over 14,000 Votes In Five Out Of 7 Lgas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.