Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,923 members, 7,817,704 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? (291 Views)

Woman Suffers Heart Attack Trying To Explain Math Problem To Son / When You Are Asked To Explain Your Experience In A Nigerian Boarding School / Is It Ethical To Keep Beard In Government Establishments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Mrshape: 7:09pm On Nov 05, 2019
I have invested so much in my jss1 students in all my schools, the result so far?
I am satisfied with their performance in mathematics,
but my fear is that they might forget these processes in no distant time,
so I came up with an ideal that they should write a textbook on topics we have learnt in their own words using Nigerian pidgin , the students were happy and ready to start the project immediately, but on a second taught I told them to pause the project,

I am considering if it is ethical,
I have asked a free teachers but their response is divided

I am a kind of person that believe way in which mathematics knowledge can be transferred and retained should be employed,

Few years ago when I introduced music in mathematics, a lot of teachers were against it.
I learnt from their criticism, improved on our process, But now I am glad I did.

Please drop your opinion.
Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Martinez39(m): 7:31pm On Nov 05, 2019
Let it be in English. If they must excel at maths to the highest level, they must learn to communicate and explain maths in formal language. Maths textbooks are written in English. You may read the Maths textbooks, explain to them in pidgin, and they might understand but how can they conduct self-study and improve on their own with no translator? You won't be there 24/7 and even after they leave school. Beside, how many teachers after you would be willing to speak pidgin?

It's best you teach in English.
Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Mrshape: 7:38pm On Nov 05, 2019
Martinez39:
Let it be in English. If they must excel at maths to the highest level, they must learn to communicate and explain maths in formal language. Maths textbooks are written in English. You may read the Maths textbooks, explain to them in pidgin, and they might understand but how can they conduct self-study and improve on their own with no translator? You won't be there 24/7 and even after they leave school. Beside, how many teachers after you would be willing to speak pidgin?

It's best you teach in English.
I don't think you get my point Sir.

I have already taught in English.

How class sessions are in English,

But to build memories, I am suggesting they translate that knowledge they already had in English to a language the are more familiar with.
Nigeria pidgin!

Thus the need for suggestions on how ethical it is.

Just imagine someone asked your to translate a novel your have read
Lets say, your red pill into your local language, if you are able to accomplish the task, the content of the work will be difficult for you to forget easily
Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Mrshape: 8:38pm On Nov 05, 2019
Were I the professors in education?,
Were are Niaraland professor and doctors?

Please I need more inputs, so that I can make a more informed decision.
Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Martinez39(m): 8:39pm On Nov 05, 2019
Mrshape:

I don't think you get my point Sir.

I have already taught in English.

How class sessions are in English,

But to build memories, I am suggesting they translate that knowledge they already had in English to a language the are more familiar with.
Nigeria pidgin!

Thus the need for suggestions on how ethical it is.
I understand your point. I even wrote on the presumption that your students understood English and you intended that what they read and understood in English be also translated into pidgin to enhance retention. If they can translate it on their own to pidgin to retain better then no problem. If they cannot translate on their own but need you to translate to pidgin, stick to English.

The main thing here is that you want your students to retain what they've understood.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Mrshape: 8:45pm On Nov 05, 2019
Martinez39:
I understand your point. I even wrote on the presumption that your students understood English and you intended that what they read and understood in English be also translated into pidgin to enhance retention. If they can translate it on their own to pidgin to retain better then no problem. If they cannot translate on their own but need you to translate to pidgin, stick to English.

The main thing here is that you want your students to retain what they've understood.
Thanks for your imput,
They already understood the knowledge in English.

The pidgin project, is a termly homework which the will carry out them self.

But please look at it this way,

How will the parents feel if they see their children writing in a language they have been trying to prevent them from speaking?
Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Mrshape: 8:57pm On Nov 05, 2019
Fynestboi Richiez olawalebabs lalasticlala.

Please I need more input
Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Martinez39(m): 9:22pm On Nov 05, 2019
Mrshape:

Thanks for your imput,
They already understood the knowledge in English.

The pidgin project, is a termly homework which the will carry out them self.

But please look at it this way,

How will the parents feel if they see their children writing in a language they have been trying to prevent them from speaking?

The parents might have some problems with that. I don't think it's unethical if the students already understands Maths written in English. You will just have to explain yourself to the parents and you will face some trouble because pidgin is not a formal form of communication in schools. It's best to make everything English, from beginning to end.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Mrshape: 9:33pm On Nov 05, 2019
Martinez39:
The parents might have some problems with that. I don't think it's unethical if the students already understands Maths written in English. You will just have to explain yourself to the parents and you will face some trouble because pidgin is not a formal form of communication in schools. It's best to make everything English, from beginning to end.
That's the issue my brother,
But I can regard it as a controlled experiment and the students are my sample population.(which is allowed in education, and fanfawa did that.)
Who don't want his child to be part of it, can simply withdraw his child from the process.
Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Martinez39(m): 9:38pm On Nov 05, 2019
Mrshape:

That's the issue my brother,
But I can regard it as a controlled experiment and the students are my sample population.(which is allowed in education, and fanfawa did that.)
Who don't want his child to be part of it, can simply withdraw his child from the process.
What if the school sacks you? They could say they did not pay you to use pidgin. To be one the safe side, it's better to tell them to practice more and revise often instead of using this technique. Just saying.
Re: Is It Ethical To Tell A Child To Explain Maths Process In Nigeria Pidgin? by Mrshape: 10:00pm On Nov 05, 2019
Martinez39:
What if the school sacks you? They could say they did not pay you to use pidgin. To be one the safe side, it's better to tell them to practice more and revise often instead of using this technique. Just saying.
Lol you don't know my job.
I can't be sacked . But at same time I will not want to do anything that will affect any of my schools negatively.
Besides I didn't teach them in pidgin, neither did we speak it in class.

Practice more?
Hmmmm
we have emphasised on that

That technique works, but mostly for the self motivated students.

So u have to find a way for them to practice without them actually fell they are solving maths.

Thanks for your input sir it shows you really care.

(1) (Reply)

Man Burns All His Certificates, Says Education Is A Scam (video) / Simple Digital Clock Application / Gov. Zulum Met Mrs. Obia Mazi @ 6:30am & Rewarded Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.