Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,118 members, 7,953,440 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:17 PM

Hon. Minister Of Communication Orders Ncc To Review Data Cost - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hon. Minister Of Communication Orders Ncc To Review Data Cost (296 Views)

Lagos State Government Press Release In Yoruba - Opens Channels Of Communication / Bauchi Assembly Adopts Hausa As Language Of Communication / APC ‘ll Pay Dearly For Blocking Me In Oyo – Minister Of Communication, Shittu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hon. Minister Of Communication Orders Ncc To Review Data Cost by soloenzo(m): 9:12am On Nov 06, 2019
We use the word ‘data‘ when we talk about using the internet on your phone. Whenever you use the internet you use data – whether it’s browsing the web, sending an email, or downloading audios or videos. Data is measured in bytes.

In Nigeria, network providers such as MTN,Globacom,Airtel,9mobile, etc charge users very high when they subscribe for internet facility(data). For instance, MTN charge #1000 for 1gb(1000kb) for one month, glo, airtel, globacom, 9mobile with same amount for the purchase of 1gb among others. If you compare these charges with that of other countries like Ghana, South Africa, Kenya,Benin Republic and even Niger, you will see that Nigerian subscribers are been strangled and exploited to the fullest.

And also, when we talk about the rate at which this data is been drained by the network providers, you will think you have someone in your village sharing this data with you.

To check all these activities with regards to high cost of mobile data charges by network providers in the country, the Honourable Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami has therefore directed the Nigerian Communications Commission to review the ‘high cost of data’ downward and unlawful deductions of both call units and data. The NCC has been given an ultimatum of five days to do this.

According to the report filed by Ihuoma Chiedozie of Punch Newspaper, Pantami had given the directives in October, after receiving a progress report on the implementation of Short-Term Performance Targets set for the NCC.

The minister had noted that Nigerians were paying so much for data without enjoying value for money spent.

This directive was reinstated at the inauguration of a new Commissioner of NCC in Abuja, yesterday been Tuesday.

Isa Pantami decried that Nigerians are complaining over illegal deductions of their data, a situation which he said also applies to him.

As reported by Punch, Dr Isa Pantami said, “I commented last time on the issue of data deduction, this is one of the issues that is worrying me badly to death.

“I was not fully convinced with the explanation by the NCC; please go back and review that issue.

“It is very important and I want to get your feedback in the next five working days with the decision on it because the complaints from Nigerians are beyond what I can handle.

“As it is today, people are complaining and it happens to me. I recharge my phone (my data line) and I believe what I use is not up to 20 per cent of what I purchase, he lamented.

“This is an issue that is very important.” He asserted.

https://ngg.ng/2019/11/06/hon-minister-of-communication-orders-ncc-to-review-data-cost/

cc lalasticlala

Re: Hon. Minister Of Communication Orders Ncc To Review Data Cost by wiseman1494(m): 9:16am On Nov 06, 2019
OK
Re: Hon. Minister Of Communication Orders Ncc To Review Data Cost by Wantedmiller: 9:21am On Nov 06, 2019
Minister you are working with your mouth............

One thing is to give order and one thing is to follow it up......

MTN data is dealing with people seriously....... #1000 for 8gb.

The question is how long will it last?
Re: Hon. Minister Of Communication Orders Ncc To Review Data Cost by madridguy(m): 9:39am On Nov 06, 2019
The useless past minister will not know peace for the data bundle charges increment. Useless old empty head.

(1) (Reply)

IIMSAM Appoints H.E. Samson O. Bolarin As A Representative Ambassador In Nigeria / Rep Wants Oil Companies, DPRS To Relocate From Niger Delta / With Lyon’s Victory In Bayelsa, Jonathan’s Home State Becomes Second APC State I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.