Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,181 members, 7,957,411 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:12 PM

Looking To Groom Your Tech Skills? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Looking To Groom Your Tech Skills? (193 Views)

5 Tech  Skills Your Kids Need To Learn Before They Turn 16 / Useful Tips On How To Groom A Horse / How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Looking To Groom Your Tech Skills? by LamiWilliams: 6:47pm On Nov 06, 2019
Not everything is as difficult as it sounds"

This was one of the most handy lessons I learnt to far on my journey with StartNG. Truly, there were lots of other valuable take homes, and I think it would be better to make a list. If you are interested in learning software development, digital marketing, machine learning, UI/UX design, and gain the right knowledge on how to apply them to make money, this article.

===

Story time
... it all started at when I visited start.ng
Flash back to the 22nd on September, 2019 when I wrote about my experience at start.ng:
First of all, we (preinterns) have been introduced to some really handy websites/softwares/applications such as Cloudinary, GitHub, Evernote, amongst others. We have also been exposed to Slack which we use as our workspace. In one way or the other I've used these for the tasks I've been doing.

At StartNG, we've also been introduced to HTML and CSS. We were given a task to create a CV using HTML. The only programming knowledge I had prior to StartNG was Java. I even have to confess that I have forgotten more than half of what I learnt about Java �. When I stopped my Java classes, someone suggested I take up HTML. Long story short, I didn't.

When I signed up for StartNG, I was exited about reviving my programming knowledge. I felt a pang of regret when we were given the HTML task. "If I had learnt HTML when I had the opportunity, my task would have been a piece of cake", I said to myself. I got a bit scared about even making an attempt. Nevertheless, with the resources gotten from Slack and from what I could find online, I began to create my HTML CV.

Surprisingly, it was easier than I thought, and I really enjoyed the process. In bid to make my CV look good, I started to think of ways to add colours. I couldn't do an thorough research because I was working with time as at then. I got my eureka � moment when I we were told to add an image link from Cloudinary! �

Using Adobe Spark Post, Snapseed, and Cloudinary, I was able to create and insert coloured headers into my CV. Take a look at these:

I not only feel that I was stretched to infuse creativity into my work, I also feel really fulfilled that I did something I consider amazing! Unlike before, I won't let go of this opportunity.

Sidenote:
Here are a couple of things I'd like to share with you. They are some of the things I've learnt from StartNG:

Embrace Team Work!
I'm glad that this started way before people began to be rewarded for helping others. It shows that people genuinely want to help. I think such willingness to assist AT ALL TIMES is unique to the tech world. From this, I learnt to always share the little I know too. This is also aided by the communal feel of StartNG's workplace on Slack. One never feels out of place anytime.

Never ever give up ✊�
This post is an example of me applying the "never ever give up" lesson I've learnt from Slack. After painstakingly creating my CV, I started battling with GitHub. A number of factors such as work, not getting it right, not meeting the deadline for submission, and fear delayed my progress.

When I saw the "About-to-give-up" channel on Slack, I got encouraged, but it was shortlived. It felt like I wasn't making any progress. I asked for help and got a number of responses from people. With their assistance, I was able to get my html file pushed to Git and and do all the rest of the tasks.

I have to say this again, "not everything is as difficult as it sounds". This might sound silly, but the technical words like 'repository', 'readme', scared me ��.... Anyway, I'm glad I got everything done.

On a final more, and most importantly, I thank HNGNigeria for this amazing opportunity! The work/learning environment has been so much fun. I have been enjoying the difference.

*** Back to the present***
Need I tell you more? Start.ng is the best tech pre-internship you can get anywhere. Go on not to start.ng to register and get more information!

(1) (Reply)

Polytechnic / Professional Translation Service In USA - Versatile Languages / Governor Ihedioha Inaugurates Visitation Panels To IMSU, IMSUTH, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.