Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,105 members, 7,811,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

#billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up (2397 Views)

(apple Vs Google) Steve Jobs Hated Android! But Why? / Whatsapp Will Stop Working On All Windows Mobile Handsets TODAY / Whatsapp Will Stop Working On All Windows Mobile Handsets Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by JournalEditor: 10:44am On Nov 08, 2019
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates says he messed up the company’s opportunity to develop Windows Mobile because he was distracted by its antitrust case brought by the Justice Department.

Had he not been distracted, Gates believes Windows Mobile would be what Android is today.

“There’s no doubt that the antitrust lawsuit was bad for Microsoft, and we would have been more focused on creating the phone operating system. And so instead of using Android today, you would be using Windows Mobile,” Gates said in an interview at The New York Times DealBook Conference.

Image result for bill gates

And he argues Microsoft just missed delivering Windows Mobile for an unknown Motorola smartphone, which could be the Moto Droid from 2009 – Motorola’s first Android phone and a key device that helped popularize Android in the US.

“We were so close,” said Gates. “I was just too distracted and I screwed that up because of the distraction. We were just three months too late with the release that Motorola would have used on a phone. So it’s a winner-takes-all game, that’s for sure, but now nobody here has even heard of Windows Mobile.”

While Microsoft’s antitrust battles did, in his view, stop it from developing Windows Mobile to its full potential, he argued that the legal wrangles weren’t necessarily good for consumers either.

But, in hindsight, Gates now sees a silver lining to Microsoft’s antitrust troubles and the fate of Windows Mobile. Gates says he wouldn’t have retired so early had it not been for the antitrust case and that gave him the opportunity to work on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Lunch and Learn: Microsoft Word 2007, advanced functionality

This presentation provides a preformatted solution for helping end users make the most of Microsoft Word 2007 features. The Lunch and Learn presentation also includes a quick reference guide that attendees can retain for future reference. It covers…

Tools & Templates provided by TechRepublic Premium
Gates officially retired in June 2008. However he stepped down as CEO in 2000, one day after the Justice Department said it would pursue a breakup of Microsoft. The CEO role would go to Steve Ballmer, who inherited Gates’ Windows Mobile and Windows XP tablets.

In 2013, Ballmer would announce Microsoft’s plan to buy Nokia’s devices unit as part of an ultimately failed bid to get Windows Phone off the ground. By the time Microsoft officially acquired Nokia devices in February 2014, Ballmer had retired and was replaced by current CEO Satya Nadella. Soon after, Microsoft wrote off its Nokia devices business.

Next year Microsoft will launch its Android-based Surface Duo phone and is focusing on getting Office Mobile on to Android devices and driving Office 365 subscriptions.

Gates comments on antitrust come amid calls by some politicians, such as Elizabeth Warren, to break up big tech companies. Gates earlier this year said that breaking up tech companies won’t solve anti-competitive behavior by big tech.

However, previously lamenting Microsoft’s failure to produce what Android is today, he said software is a “winner-takes-all” market.

Story Credit: Liam Tung

Follow more on this via : https:///p24rVa-17h

Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by popsy2(m): 10:45am On Nov 08, 2019
Near miss
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by Timileyin1234(m): 11:01am On Nov 08, 2019
Story for the gods

2 Likes

Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by SocialJustice: 11:08am On Nov 08, 2019
Windows mobile would never have dominated even if it was installed in the Motorola phone.

2 Likes

Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by kestolove95(m): 11:20am On Nov 08, 2019
Window rubbish DAT almost kill our nokia

2 Likes

Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by cassidy1996(m): 4:44pm On Nov 08, 2019
I love windows
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by alphaNomega: 7:39pm On Nov 08, 2019
Windows mobile has been around even before Android OS yet it could not capture the mobile market.
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by YurFatHer: 9:33pm On Nov 08, 2019
That chair he is sitting on must be very classy
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by LeoThaGreat(m): 10:31pm On Nov 08, 2019
cassidy1996:
I love windows
I love doors
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by ibnzubair(m): 12:33am On Nov 09, 2019
I used Windows OS cumulatively for two years and that phone's a wild beast.

But then, it's not for everyone... Not even for many people

2 Likes

Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by Nobody: 2:40am On Nov 09, 2019
Windows Xcuse
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by MVLOX(m): 3:16am On Nov 09, 2019
I smell a conspiracy somewhere....
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by mxpinky: 3:55am On Nov 09, 2019
I still like window phones though especially most of their pocket PC
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by oz4real83(m): 5:21am On Nov 09, 2019
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by oz4real83(m): 5:22am On Nov 09, 2019
Microsoft, Nokia incorporated, Blackberry, Arsenal fc, Yahoo inc, these are companies that failed to innovate and give consumers new products at the appropriate time. They were satisfied with what they were offering customers even when it was average or mediocre. When they finally realised it, other companies like google, apple, amazon, samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei, Lg and others have taken over the market and their lives have never been the same since then.

2 Likes

Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by falcon01: 6:04am On Nov 09, 2019
oz4real83:
Microsoft, Nokia incorporated, Blackberry, Arsenal fc, Yahoo inc, these are companies that failed to innovate and give consumers new products at the appropriate time. They were satisfied with what they were offering customers even when it was average or mediocre. When they finally realised it, other companies like google, apple, amazon, samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei, Lg and others have taken over the market and their lives have never been the same since then.
they did not fail to innovate, they where moving perfectly one time and faced challenges few of em where able to overcome the challenge while the rest just gave up.
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by DesChyko: 6:24am On Nov 09, 2019
One of the reasons for Android OS success was that it's open to developers to experiment with from the word go. People were able to play around with it how they like, enhancing the popularity.
This was the cause of Symbian, Blackberry OS and Windows downfall. The rigidity of their OS made them less desirable.

1 Like

Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by Biggty(m): 6:28am On Nov 09, 2019
Android is still the best ever os on mobile phones
Re: #billgates: You’d All Be On Windows Mobile Today, Not #android, But I Screwed Up by obo389(m): 7:49am On Nov 09, 2019
I never liked windows OS then.
Dont know why

(1) (Reply)

What Good Phone Can I Buy With 200k? / Drop Your Liveprofile Pin Lets Chat / How Do I Print Out Text Message From My Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.