Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,748 members, 7,955,854 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:09 PM

Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG (15733 Views)

#ENDSARS: FFK, Alfred Martins Warn FG Over Deployment Of Soldiers / Reps Reject Innoson Suvs As Official Vehicles / Reps Reject President Buhari’s Executive Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by digitaltrades: 12:37pm On Nov 12, 2019
NonFarmPayrol:
The irony of this apc change is that

Taxes and hardship are implemented in a minute

But positive policies take 700 committee and several years

Travel section has realised so much traffic on nl since this change scam started

That's the kind of country that allthingsgood wish for his children
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by contigiency(m): 12:38pm On Nov 12, 2019
PDP reps rejects vat increase and not the whole house. I can bet that the bill will scale through without much huddle.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by airbrush: 12:42pm On Nov 12, 2019
zokofiki392:
( VIdeo) African maid being fuc*ked by her boss For 12 Hrs Still Want More after the wife leaves(Video)

This black maid got her self on the wrong side after her boss came home and found her all alone. He always wished to fu*ck her since she had a hot booty and a sexy
body that always left him turned on.

WATCH AND DOWNLOAD VIDEO HERE

oboy your problem plenty

2 Likes

Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by heckymaicon(m): 12:51pm On Nov 12, 2019
And to think some resident zombies are still defending this evil administration is so disheartening.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by heckymaicon(m): 12:53pm On Nov 12, 2019
Kanade21:
LOL..

Inasmuch as I want to say that the senators are on the side of the people, this time, I disagree...

Oil prices have been chronically low. Lower than what we need it to be. So, at the end of the day, taxes have to go up....or option B is a BIGGER AND EVEN FATTER LOAN....from Mama IMF.

We aren't a rich nation. Corruption , especially from the Senate and Executive, makes it worse.

What's your point exactly?

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 12, 2019
heckymaicon:

What's your point exactly?

1.We are spending a large amount of our budget financing debts from 2008 onwards.

2.Our budget isn't even enough for a nation our size

3.We need oil to be above $100 per barrel before we can even have a budget worth defending

4.Governors are finding it difficult to pay salaries.

5.Even Senators who have retired, zero severance pay. (Never happened before).

So, that tells me, we don't have enough money. So, taxes go up...or we go and beg for more loans.(and IMF is getting tired of us).

You are free to call me an opressor, or a Buharist, or a GEJIST, or whatever....we are broke. Esepcially since 2014, when oil prices came crashing down from 130 dollars a barrel to 75 in 2015, and 30 in 2016.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Centcanada: 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2019
This is the only good news I have heard or read this year. God thank you for having a kinda heart of urs inside your law makers. There is hope.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nicoddemus(m): 1:15pm On Nov 12, 2019
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn

You're getting the popularity that you desire in this forum. But respect old niggaz here sad

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Innovate07: 1:18pm On Nov 12, 2019
Please air travel is not for the common man. Besides, it is one if the highest pollutants of the environment and so yes I support VAT on air travel and vat from cigarettes and bear should also be domiciled. All other cats can be shared. After all una follow share our oil money and destroyed our environment.

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 12, 2019
By the time the heartless /redundant coupist is done with the shithole, most folks will be fighting for afganistan visa!
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by ComrdDRS: 1:27pm On Nov 12, 2019
thank God for the rep. members especially Mr. Richard Gbande

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Jaylord12(m): 1:44pm On Nov 12, 2019
NonFarmPayrol:
The irony of this apc change is that

Taxes and hardship are implemented in a minute

But positive policies take 700 committee and several years

Travel section has realised so much traffic on nl since this change scam started

True talk...
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by mmsen: 1:44pm On Nov 12, 2019
Increase in taxes but have they spoken about cutting down on their own (politicians) waste?

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by AmeLonRo(m): 1:45pm On Nov 12, 2019
They should make sure the borders remain closed.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by LegoxMetahuman: 2:03pm On Nov 12, 2019
Kanade21:
LOL..

Inasmuch as I want to say that the senators are on the side of the people, this time, I disagree...

Oil prices have been chronically low. Lower than what we need it to be. So, at the end of the day, taxes have to go up....or option B is a BIGGER AND EVEN FATTER LOAN....from Mama IMF.

We aren't a rich nation. Corruption , especially from the Senate and Executive, makes it worse.
what did they do when the money was "chronically' high?
did masses enjoy from the high price? why should masses bear the brunt of corruptions of the elites?

if they didnt do anything, what makes you think they are going to achieve anything by taxing people to death?

what has buhari done since he came back 5years ago? why not increase tax the already rich politician like dino tinubu etc.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 12, 2019
LegoxMetahuman:
what did they do when the money was "chronically' high?
did masses enjoy from the high price? why should masses bear the brunt of corruptions of the elites?

if they didnt do anything, what makes you think they are going to achieve anything by taxing people to death?

what has buhari done since he came back 5years ago? why not increase tax the already rich politician like dino tinubu etc.

N.B This is the part where I tell you to go into poltics, and agitate for good governance...

Plus, inasmuch as they are all corrupt....the fact is, oil has been crashing since 2014. Our revenues are falling. And money has to be found somehow.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by LegoxMetahuman: 2:32pm On Nov 12, 2019
Kanade21:

N.B This is the part where I tell you to go into poltics, and agitate for good governance...

Plus, inasmuch as they are all corrupt....the fact is, oil has been crashing since 2014. Our revenues are falling. And money has to be found somehow.
question you didnt answer is? before oil revenue started failing, what has nigerians benefited from the oil?

why should masses bear the brunt of corruption of few elite politicians?

cant they tax themselves to death?
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by alt3r3g0: 2:33pm On Nov 12, 2019
Kanade21:

I like how you state the facts. But if a select few messed things up, why does everyone have to bear the brunt?

"Found somehow" can be the same potiticians that stole everything to reduce their salaries to reflect the reality. Or luxury taxes or even stop over inflation of projects and budget padding. But we know these ones may not even be paying taxes at all.

Passing the buck down to the commom man to raise more money for them to steal is unfair.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 12, 2019
LegoxMetahuman:
question you didnt answer is? before oil revenue started failing, what has nigerians benefited from the oil?

We were not benefiting (though that also means admitting GEJ was a bad ruler...which opens one to attack from GEJITES , and as I want to rest today, plus I don't even like Buhari much..).

why should masses bear the brunt of corruption of few elite politicians?

cant they tax themselves to death?

The Communist rulers in the old Soviet Union taxed the rich to death...and thus used their money to run the economy well, and nicely...till it ran out and the collapse happened in the 1980's.

Economies run well, so long as you allow the rich make money , and then you tax them heavily, but not to a point where they suffer.

The thing is, I'm all for fighting corruption. But Nigerians...I see people shouting about Tinubu, and keeping quiet about Ibori and Diezani. And people crying GEJ and Patience, but Buhari, Grasscutter and co ...silence.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 12, 2019
alt3r3g0:

I like how you state the facts. But if a select few messed things up, why does everyone have to bear the brunt?

"Found somehow" can be the same potiticians that stole everything to reduce their salaries to reflect the reality. Or luxury taxes or even stop over inflation of projects and budget padding. But we know these ones may not even be paying taxes at all.

Passing the buck down to the commom man to raise more money for them to steal is unfair.

It is unfair...but to be frank, even if we cut the salaries of the National Assembly and PRESIDENT, at best we would get something like N500billion. Meanwhile , universites need at least N1.5 trillion annually in extra funding to run well (according to the 2009 ASUU-fg agreement..which was signed when oil was at $140 the previous year).

Frankly speaking, I have no idea. Taxes, unfortunately, is the only way we can raise money for now, without having to take even more loans.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by alt3r3g0: 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2019
Kanade21:

It is unfair...but to be frank, even if we cut the salaries of the National Assembly and PRESIDENT, at best we would get something like N500billion. Meanwhile , universites need at least N1.5 trillion annually in extra funding to run well (according to the 2009 ASUU-fg agreement..which was signed when oil was at $140 the previous year).

Frankly speaking, I have no idea. Taxes, unfortunately, is the only way we can raise money for now, without having to take even more loans.

Adding more water trying keep a leaking basket full is an exercise in futility. Can we say this will solve everything with all the monies and loans they have taken in the past?
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by LegoxMetahuman: 3:03pm On Nov 12, 2019
Kanade21:

We were not benefiting (though that also means admitting GEJ was a bad ruler...which opens one to attack from GEJITES , and as I want to rest today, plus I don't even like Buhari much..).

The Communist rulers in the old Soviet Union taxed the rich to death...and thus used their money to run the economy well, and nicely...till it ran out and the collapse happened in the 1980's.

Economies run well, so long as you allow the rich make money , and then you tax them heavily, but not to a point where they suffer.

The thing is, I'm all for fighting corruption. But Nigerians...I see people shouting about Tinubu, and keeping quiet about Ibori and Diezani. And people crying GEJ and Patience, but Buhari, Grasscutter and co ...silence.
bolded is wrong. thats not what killed soviet union.

plus we are not asking for communism. i'm are not saying they should stop taxing people. no one is complaining that var is 5% even though we dont know what is being done with the 5%

its simple thing, when the oil price was high, masses didnt enjoy anything from it. only few politicians and their elite chronies fed fat.
now that its low, why not tax those that fed fat and made them cough huge amount the stole and tied to properties innstead of putting it on masses?

we chased corrupt jonathan out hoping buhari will deal with the corrupt elite masses, what has he done than junketeering and flexing useless muscle on the likes of zakzarky, sowore and kanu.

if we are even gonna pay more tax, it should be to someone we know that he has idea of what he is doing and not this clueless idiot in aso rock that will use our money to travel around the world.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 12, 2019
Kanade21:
LOL..

I can swear on anything that you're still dependent on your parents.

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2019
I read this submission word for word.

The HOR members who were mostly from the PDP said that tax increment should be for the rich and on luxury goods.

One thing I have been saying on this forum. The PDP may be a " Stealing is not Corruption " govt but PDP is more masses friendly than this Devilish APC.

If I own a rolls royce, find ways to tax my rolls royce, tax my brandy or MOET. There are bottles of wine sold for N90,000 and those of N45,000.

How will you leave wine and start increasing VAT on Coca Cola and Pepsi consumption from 5% to 7.5% ?

Devil is using these people.

This government has no plan to help the suffering masses. I don't comment on threads again where youths cry of depression and job seeking. Why ? Because these same youths voted for APC, the party stifling their growth. Only a foolish man supports his oppressors. Let me inform the indomie generation how to improve an economy.

If APC wanted to help Nigerians, minimum wage should have been increased to N50,000.

The increase will push money into the hands of the lowest income earners while the level 14 and 16 civil service cadre will receive a 20% salary increase. The highest increase for the lowest earners, prorated to the lowest increase for the highest earners.

Purchasing Power will skyrocket. People will start buying cars, building houses, the support industries for food chain, everyday home goods, electronics and furniture, car dealership and construction will flourish.

But this govt has a different agenda.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Advocate500: 3:44pm On Nov 12, 2019
Kanade21:
LOL..

so what happens to cost of governance?the people proposing this increment are the same people that are impoverishing us ,Buhari is in UK at the expense of taxpayers money cut the high cost of governance every other things will fall into place.

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 12, 2019
LegoxMetahuman:
bolded is wrong. thats not what killed soviet union.

plus we are not asking for communism. i'm are not saying they should stop taxing people. no one is complaining that var is 5% even though we dont know what is being done with the 5%

its simple thing, when the oil price was high, masses didnt enjoy anything from it. only few politicians and their elite chronies fed fat.
now that its low, why not tax those that fed fat and made them cough huge amount the stole and tied to properties innstead of putting it on masses?

we chased corrupt jonathan out hoping buhari will deal with the corrupt elite masses, what has he done than junketeering and flexing useless muscle on the likes of zakzarky, sowore and kanu.

if we are even gonna pay more tax, it should be to someone we know that he has idea of what he is doing and not this clueless idiot in aso rock that will use our money to travel around the world.

Thank you...

Well said.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 12, 2019
ikennaf1:

I can swear on anything that you're still dependent on your parents.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by ctleurocollege: 5:42pm On Nov 12, 2019
Everything good
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by mfm04622: 7:52pm On Nov 12, 2019
DanXplore:
shocked

It was very insensitive of the government to have proposed VAT increment at this time. This would have just made life harder for the average man. I believe that what ever revenue they seek from VAT could be financed from developing a robust luxury tax system. I honestly doubt the government carefully exploited all the instruments available to finance the system, to come up with 7.5% VAT. At this time, equity in tax demands that the very wealthy be taxed...even this should be done carefully as most of them hold the shares of investments keeping this country afloat so it might be unwise to piss them off.

Why not tax all those cars valued at 50million, 100million etc? Why not tax private jet owners, jet fuel consumers, expensive jewelry users etc? You want to tax consumers of very basic household items that most could barely afford.

Please no vex. Can you list things that are VATable that the poor buy? I no know, that is why I am asking!
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by walexbiz(m): 7:57pm On Nov 12, 2019
where are those Yoruba Apc traitors who call themselves progressive lawmakers, I see no contribution from them except PDP lawmakers whom you all demonise? I guess it's okay with them if the northern Oligarchy taxes us to death just to cover up their inadequacies. Tax sharing formulas should also be reviewed, the north cannot ban alcoholic beverages and profit from its proceeds, the proceeds from haram source should also be haram that's what I was thought in Islamic class.
Re: Reps Reject VAT 7.5% Increment, Warn FG by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 12, 2019
mfm04622:

Please no vex. Can you list things that are VATable that the poor buy? I no know, that is why I am asking!

If you look at it critically, almost every Item is directly or indirectly VATed...toothpaste, detergent etc.The problem is an increment in VAT will just induce more pressure on the common man's tight expenditure. Remember, VAT affects every line in the production of these units.

What we are saying is a financial model with VAT constrained to not go beyond what was already inforce be optimised to meet the demands of the budget. You will discover that such a model will poke into the excessive salaries of these politicians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPOB To Buhari: Your Planned Visit To Ebonyi Will Be Resisted / Shagari Denies Endorsing Jonathan / Opposition Plotting To Pit Me Against Buhari — Peter Obi (punch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.