Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. (1947 Views)

Do All English Speaking Africa Countries Understand Pidgin English? / I Have 2m Naira, Please Which European Country Can I Relocate To? / My Mini European Adventure And How It Has Changed My Perspective Towards Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Ugoerico(m): 11:14pm On Nov 12, 2019
Europe is majorly a non-English speaking region, as almost all the official languages for the EU member states are difrent from one another. Thus, the region developed a common framework for language assessment called "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages" this is for the generality of immigration.

The uniform certificate for all these European Languages range from A1 to A2 certificates, upwards is B1 to B2 certificates, to the topmost of C-class: C1 to C2.

It is a common knowledge that there are Millions of Nigerians spread across European countries.
This has led us to learning these languages to various degrees of competence, proficiency and levels of certificates.

This thread is therefore created to form a common ground for Nigerians residing and Speaking, writting any of these languages such as Deutsch, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Maltese, French, Polish, Danish, Finish, Romanian, Portuguese, Greek, Czech, and so many others, so that we can share among other things, our experiences with the learning, motivations, cost, difficulties, experiences in the countries during the time of not beign able to speak, advantages, advice, prospects and importantly offer some form of advice and guides to other Nigerians who are either learning any of the languages or planning to commence learning (no cost attached!)

Learning a foreign language at adulthood can be difficult and fraustrating but fortunately some Nigerians have proved to be very good learners and resilient in learning this languages to expert speaking and writting levels!!

For me I speak relatively good German, currently with B2 TELC German certificate.

Started from A1 here in Germany to B2 consecutively for 1 year 2 months with daily German classes.

Share your experience!
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by MrBrownJay1(m): 11:29pm On Nov 12, 2019
my two cent...

- just immerse yourself in a country fully... and within about 2/3 years (depending on where you come from and your ability to learn), you will be fluent in the local language
- make friends with the locals... the less they speak English the better.
- stay away from Nigerians (or English speaking people) as often as you can.
- go to a language class/course.... as much as you can easily speak the language, unless you know how to write it as well, its in vain.
- get a local gf/bf... if you live with them, its even better for your learning process.
- have fun!

i speak French (native), Spanish, Portuguese and Norwegian

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Ugoerico(m): 1:03pm On Nov 13, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
my two cent...

- just immerse yourself in a country fully... and within about 2/3 years (depending on where you come from and your ability to learn), you will be fluent in the local language
- go to a language class/course.... as much as you can easily speak the language, unless you know how to write it as well, its in vain.
- get a local gf/bf... if you live with them, its even better for your learning process.
- have fun!

your submissions are quite true bro.
Wow!! You speak these four! What a good Polyglot you are! Have you lived in all the host countries before?
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:24pm On Nov 13, 2019
Ugoerico:
your submissions are quite true bro.
Wow!! You speak these four! What a good Polyglot you are! Have you lived in all the host countries before?

yes.. i have traveled extensively, so learning new languages is part of my life.... for example, living in Denmark, i didnt need to learn to speak/write Danish because my Norwegian was "somehow" good enough to understand written Danish, although i never tried to learn to speak Danish (too different from Norwegian/Swedish)... but sadly, not all languages are easy to keep. i did also live in China (2yrs) and Japan (2yrs), and although i started to learn to speak their language, these are by far the hardest languages i have ever encountered.
Chinese: they have so many different dialect and the language you speak depends on where you live in China. Beijing they speak proper Mandarin, while in Shanghai they speak a variant of Mandarin that they call Shanghainese (same language but with a different dialect and some few different words). so after a year in Beijing, i moved to Shanghai and had to learn the whole language all over again. if i had moved to the city of Guangzhou etc, i would have had to learn Cantonese, which is 3 times harder to learn than Mandarin.
Japanese: if anybody think they are good at languages, let them move to japan and try learning to read Japanese... this is simply madness upon madness. Japanese has 3 different alphabets altogether, and one of them is so difficult to learn, the majority of Japanese people dont know it fully.
to give you an idea: the English alphabet has 26 letters/characters, while Japanese kanji has 2000 basic characters that you need to learn before you are able to read and write basic kanji. to be an expert in Kanji, you need to know the whole 4000 characters.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Ugoerico(m): 1:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

yes.. i have traveled extensively, so learning new languages is part of my life.... for example, living in Denmark, i didnt need to learn to speak/write Danish because my Norwegian was "somehow" good enough to understand written Danish, although i never tried to learn to speak Danish (too different from Norwegian/Swedish)... but sadly, not all languages are easy to keep. i did also live in China (2yrs) and Japan (2yrs), and although i started to learn to speak their language, these are by far the hardest languages i have ever encountered.
Chinese: they have so many different dialect and the language you speak depends on where you live in China. Beijing they speak proper Mandarin, while in Shanghai they speak a variant of Mandarin that they call Shanghainese (same language but with a different dialect and some few different words). so after a year in Beijing, i moved to Shanghai and had to learn the whole language all over again. if i had moved to the city of Guangzhou etc, i would have had to learn Cantonese, which is 3 times harder to learn than Mandarin.
Japanese: if anybody think they are good at languages, let them move to japan and try learning to read Japanese... this is simply madness upon madness. Japanese has 3 different alphabets altogether, and one of them is so difficult to learn, the majority of Japanese people dont know it fully.
to give you an idea: the English alphabet has 26 letters/characters, while Japanese kanji has 2000 basic characters that you need to learn before you are able to read and write basic kanji. to be an expert in Kanji, you need to know the whole 4000 characters.
much respect bro! You have really toured and learnt languages..
I never knew Japanese language was that complex! That is serious oh!! 2000 characters for Japanese Kanji hahhahhaha...even thier citizens will not border learning all...sounds funny shaa..
Honestly I can't imagine myself learning another foreign language in this life, hey! They definately gonna be clashing in my mouth.. grin
Even the German I speak tends to mistakenly come out of my mouth while speaking or writing English, even while speaking my Nigerian native language I do mistakenly discharge some german words
So I will prefer to build my German Language abilities and vocabularies to the extreem level than to ever venture into any other foreign language...
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Mizwisdom(f): 2:18pm On Nov 14, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
my two cent...

- have fun!

You're telling him to stay away from his people but you keep hanging around us especially here on Nairaland. Why don't you fully practice what you preach by avoiding Nigerians totally. Asians help each other abroad but here people will be asking others to avoid their kind

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Ugoerico(m): 2:31pm On Nov 14, 2019
Mizwisdom:

You're telling him to stay away from his people but you keep hanging around us especially here on Nairaland. Why don't you fully practice what you preach by avoiding Nigerians totally. Asians help each other abroad but here people will be asking others to avoid their kind

my dear "avoid" here is not in the context you took it to be ok, I think he meant that learners should always mix up more with the natives, spend more time with them in interactions inorder to learn fast and better.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Mizwisdom(f): 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2019
Ugoerico:
my dear "avoid" here is not in the context you took it to be ok, I think he meant that learners should always mix up more with the natives, spend more time with them in interactions inorder to learn fast and better.

If you're right about his intension then he's losing his ability to communicate in English
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2019
Mizwisdom:

again, IF SOMEONE WANTS TO LEARN FOREIGN LANGUAGES they should stay away from their own people..... same as if/when someone wants to discover a new country. now use your brain and focus on the bolded part (which is what this thread is about)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Mizwisdom(f): 7:47pm On Nov 16, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

again, IF SOMEONE WANTS TO LEARN FOREIGN LANGUAGES they should stay away from their own people..... same as if/when someone wants to discover a new country. now use your brain and focus on the bolded part (which is what this thread is about)

Your reasoning is a bit queer. You said you speak foreign languages but you're still a Nigerian, does it mean that you can't teach someone the language because you're a Nigerian?
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:12am On Nov 18, 2019
Mizwisdom:
Your reasoning is a bit queer. You said you speak foreign languages but you're still a Nigerian, does it mean that you can't teach someone the language because you're a Nigerian?

what person in his right mind goes to a county FULL OF LOCAL PEOPLE, to learn their foreign language from a Nigerian?!
you make no damn sense...

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Ugoerico(m): 10:21am On Nov 22, 2019
Living Abroad is full of experiences, what one has experienced he narrates and analyses..!
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Newlifee: 5:08pm On Nov 27, 2019
@MrBrownJay1 you are right bro, I base here in Europe too and started learning thier language when i started talking with citizens and not with our people, our people only speak broken among ourselfs so how can u learn from them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Newlifee: 5:10pm On Nov 27, 2019
Mizwisdom:

my dear sorry to ask, have you lived in a non speaking English country before?
Have you attempted to learn a foreign language before apart from English? Just on a soft note

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Policier: 11:32am On Feb 27, 2020
TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING.. GERMAN LANGUAGE CENTER NOW IN WARRI.. TRAINING AVAILABLE FOR A1-B1 STUDENTS. DURATION IS USUALLY 3months to 6months.register today.08184848377
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Ugoerico(m): 9:16am On Mar 07, 2020
Policier:
TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING.. GERMAN LANGUAGE CENTER NOW IN WARRI.. TRAINING AVAILABLE FOR A1-B1 STUDENTS. DURATION IS USUALLY 3months to 6months.register today.08184848377
I can direct a number of persons to you who are currently in need of it in order to join there families here.
But if you permit me to ask, how much does each of the different stages cost?
And what are the qualification of your teacher(s) for the different stages?
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Newlifee: 9:13pm On Apr 19, 2020
Policier:
your line is unreachable, I want to know how much you charge and how long the course lasts...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Policier: 11:32am On May 07, 2020
Newlifee:
your line is unreachable, I want to know how much you charge and how long the course lasts...
....WATAPP me directly.08184848377.
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Policier: 11:34am On May 07, 2020
Ugoerico:
I can direct a number of persons to you who are currently in need of it in order to join there families here.
But if you permit me to ask, how much does each of the different stages cost?
And what are the qualification of your teacher(s) for the different stages?
. please chat me directly on WATAPP.08184848377
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by optimusprime2(m): 4:04pm On May 30, 2020
The easiest way to learning a foreign language "as a guy" is having a relationship with a foreign lady that is real.
I speak, Dutch, French, Turkish and German(with difficulty).

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:47pm On May 30, 2020
optimusprime2:
The easiest way to learning a foreign language "as a guy" is having a relationship with a foreign lady that is real.
I speak, Dutch, French, Turkish and German(with difficulty).

exactly... could you imagine a foreigner going to Nigeria and wanting to learn Yoruba/igbo etc, and trying to learn from his fellow foreigner in Nigeria instead of the millions of local yoruba/igbo speaking Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Gerrard59(m): 8:54am On May 31, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
my two cent...

- have fun!

Twale!

I had to quote this to use as a reference. Thanks.
Re: Nigerians Speaking Diffrent European Languages.. by Gerrard59(m): 8:57am On May 31, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

what person in his right mind goes to a county [b]FULL OF LOCAL PEOPLE, to learn their foreign language from a Nigerian?![/b]
you make no damn sense...

TKO!!!!!!!!!! You deserve a bottle of your favourite drink. grin

(1) (Reply)

French Visa / Danfo Driver Without Legs With Pix / Pls I Need Info On Snake Island Apapa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.