Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,752 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State (6202 Views)

Igbanke Delta state Shutdown For Peter Obi (video) / Elders From Igbo Speaking Part Of Edo State(igbanke) Storm KANU Father's Burial / Igbanke People What Are You Doing In Edo State, Are You Igbo's Or Bini's? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 12:39am On Nov 13, 2019
What we go through as Igbos in Edo –Igbanke accounts ordeal

Igbo-Akiri (Igbanke) is an Igbo speaking community of IKA accent in Orhionmwon local government, Edo state. We, the people Igbanke are gradually losing our Igbo linguistic and cultural identity as a result of our forceful membership with the Binis through conquest (Biafran war). If urgent measures are not taken, our linguistic and cultural identity would sooner than later go into sudden extinction. In order to avoid the impending extermination of our race, we therefore, ask that a local government area be created that would consist of Igbo Akiri (Igbanke) and other Ika speaking communities in Edo state. Alternatively, if local government creation is not feasible or possible, Igbo Akiri (Igbanke), should therefore, be severed from Edo state and merged with Ika south local government area in Delta State.

BELOW ARE WHAT WE GO THROUGH BECAUSE WE ARE IGBO CREATED INTO EDO STATE

1)Most Igbanke indigenes who have Ika ancestral names like, “Emeka”, “Maduka”, “Chukwuka” “Chinyere”, “Amaka and Ogorchukwu” etc are often confronted with all forms of harrowing experiences when there are needs to visit our council headquarters, Abudu to process one official documents or the other. We are often denied the issuance of documents like, Certificate of Local Government of origin, Protest Letter, To Whom it May Concern, etc on the guise that we are Igbos not Binis.

2) Those who have the likes of the Ika aforementioned names, but can speak Bini language are rarely subjected to the above embarrassments and discriminations. This act goes a long way to vindicate our fear that there is a subtle, but carefully planned agenda to make us lose and abandon our ancestral linguistic and cultural heritage.

3) In order to escape from these unnecessary embarrassments, some have no other option left than to change their identity from Ika to Bini names.
4) Today, we, the good people of Igbanke are gradually losing our once envied linguistic and cultural identity.

5) Some of the eminent sons and daughters of Igbanke, whom out of their outstanding contributions to the development of the community, were recognized and given chieftaincy titles had had such titles changed from their original Ika origin to Bini equivalence. For example, few years ago, one of our sons who addressed himself as “Chief Orike-Eze” in Oba of Benin palace was shamefully harassed, insulted and forcefully forced, right in the palace to change the title to its Bini version. According to the palace, the title, “Orike-Eze” had its origin from Ika and Igbo nations.
5) Most times, when we have cause to attend meetings with the Binis in our local government area or senatorial district, deliberations are often conducted in Bini in language without considering the fact that the people of Igbanke in such meeting neither speak nor understand the language. Often than not, when we attend such meetings, we left the venue more confused than we were before we went.

6) In Edo state, Igbanke is only tolerated, not respected, seen, but not accepted. Today, in Edo state, plans are underway by the state Ministry of Education to introduce the teaching of Bini language in Primary and Secondary schools across Edo south senatorial district including Igbanke. Unfortunately, our indigenous language, Ika is not in any way considered qualified and appropriate to be taught in schools in Igbanke. To us, its another deliberate attempt to send our linguistic identity into extinction.

7) Our people have also suffered several inexplicable discriminations when it comes to political appointments. During the 2013 Edo state local government elections, one of our sons, Mr. Peter Ikem was refused to contest the chairmanship position in Orhionmwon local government area. Reason? His surname, “Ikem” was an Igbo, not Bini name.

Me: If our SE Igbo elites don't act fast on this, there is high possibility that in the next 20 years the IGBO speaking people in Edo and Delta will be completely wiped out of their history. The same way the cabals divided the Igbos during the 19s after creating South east is the same way the Benins are doing but in a more painstaking manner.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by hisgrace090: 1:49am On Nov 13, 2019
Man inhumanity against man.

4 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 2:34am On Nov 13, 2019
ChiSomtoChi:

Igbo-Akiri (Igbanke) is an Igbo speaking community of IKA accent in Orhionmwon local government, Edo state. We, the people Igbanke are gradually losing our Igbo linguistic and cultural identity as a result of our forceful membership with the Binis through conquest (Biafran war). If urgent measures are not taken, our linguistic and cultural identity would sooner than later go into sudden extinction. In order to avoid the impending extermination of our race, we therefore, ask that a local government area be created that would consist of Igbo Akiri (Igbanke) and other Ika speaking communities in Edo state. Alternatively, if local government creation is not feasible or possible, Igbo Akiri (Igbanke), should therefore, be severed from Edo state and merged with Ika south local government area in Delta State.

1)Most Igbanke indigenes who have Ika ancestral names like, “Emeka”, “Maduka”, “Chukwuka” “Chinyere”, “Amaka and Ogorchukwu” etc are often confronted with all forms of harrowing experiences when there are needs to visit our council headquarters, Abudu to process one official documents or the other. We are often denied the issuance of documents like, Certificate of Local Government of origin, Protest Letter, To Whom it May Concern, etc on the guise that we are Igbos not Binis.

2) Those who have the likes of the Ika aforementioned names, but can speak Bini language are rarely subjected to the above embarrassments and discriminations. This act goes a long way to vindicate our fear that there is a subtle, but carefully planned agenda to make us lose and abandon our ancestral linguistic and cultural heritage.

3) In order to escape from these unnecessary embarrassments, some have no other option left than to change their identity from Ika to Bini names.
4) Today, we, the good people of Igbanke are gradually losing our once envied linguistic and cultural identity.

5) Some of the eminent sons and daughters of Igbanke, whom out of their outstanding contributions to the development of the community, were recognized and given chieftaincy titles had had such titles changed from their original Ika origin to Bini equivalence. For example, few years ago, one of our sons who addressed himself as “Chief Orike-Eze” in Oba of Benin palace was shamefully harassed, insulted and forcefully forced, right in the palace to change the title to its Bini version. According to the palace, the title, “Orike-Eze” had its origin from Ika and Igbo nations.
5) Most times, when we have cause to attend meetings with the Binis in our local government area or senatorial district, deliberations are often conducted in Bini in language without considering the fact that the people of Igbanke in such meeting neither speak nor understand the language. Often than not, when we attend such meetings, we left the venue more confused than we were before we went.

6) In Edo state, Igbanke is only tolerated, not respected, seen, but not accepted. Today, in Edo state, plans are underway by the state Ministry of Education to introduce the teaching of Bini language in Primary and Secondary schools across Edo south senatorial district including Igbanke. Unfortunately, our indigenous language, Ika is not in any way considered qualified and appropriate to be taught in schools in Igbanke. To us, its another deliberate attempt to send our linguistic identity into extinction.

7) Our people have also suffered several inexplicable discriminations when it comes to political appointments. During the 2013 Edo state local government elections, one of our sons, Mr. Peter Ikem was refused to contest the chairmanship position in Orhionmwon local government area. Reason? His surname, “Ikem” was an Igbo, not Bini name.

Me: If our SE Igbo elites don't act fast on this, there is high possibility that in the next 20 years the IGBO speaking people in Edo and Delta will be completely wiped out of their history. The same way the cabals divided the Igbos during the 19s after creating South east is the same way the Benins are doing but in a more painstaking manner.

What you said about Igbanke is not true

Are you from Igbanke?

Igbanke People has been in Edo State for thousands of years.

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 2:37am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

Are you from Igbanke?

Are you an Igbanke?

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 3:11am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

Are you from Igbanke?

@ The bolded, Edo as a state did not exist untill recently. Even before Bendel state those tribes in the present Edo state existed separately.

Those igbanke people deny anything Igbo in them so they should assimilate in to the bini culture totally and stop crying abeg. angry

9 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 3:21am On Nov 13, 2019
Ardar:

@ The bolded, Edo as a state did not exist untill recently. Even before Bendel state those tribes in the present Edo state existed separately.

Those igbanke people deny anything Igbo in them so they should assimilate in to the bini culture totally and stop crying abeg. angry

I haven't seen igbanke denying being Igbo

Their name is Igbo akiri I don't need to go ahead telling you why they were shifted to Edo....

I have an Edo friend who doesn't consider them Benins...I even asked him what's the meaning igbanke he said he doesn't know that's its not Edo language

Nigeria is a bunch of experiment where people and joined without consulting the indigenous people....Nigeria is a poultry farm...even in poultry you sort birds to avoid CANNIBALISM but Nigeria don't care because its all about its my turn to in 3095

4 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by odigbosky(m): 3:28am On Nov 13, 2019
One thing i know for sure is that they are on bunch of confuse people. They will tell you they are not Benin and they are not ika. All the igbankes I have seen all have Benin surnames and you go think say dem be Benin. They are mostly Benin closer to agbor. I have a friend whose grandparents are Benin with a house in a village in orhriomwon. The boy's father adopted an ika name and he lives in Agbor and doesn't go home. Today my friend claims he is ika and sometimes he says he is Benin. He is confused also. The palace is doing the right thing. Pick one and stop being confused
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 6:49am On Nov 13, 2019
Ardar:

They are not Binis, they are not Igbos but we are all one. We have been living together for thousands of years. Contrary to what the Igbos think that some of their children came to Edo State to become Igbanke, the Igbos actually migrated from their to the east.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 6:50am On Nov 13, 2019
ChiSomtoChi:

Are you an Igbanke?

No, the Igbankes are our children
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 6:54am On Nov 13, 2019
odigbosky:
One thing i know for sure is that they are on bunch of confuse people. They will tell you they are not Benin and they are not ika. All the igbankes I have seen all have Benin surnames and you go think say dem be Benin. They are mostly Benin closer to agbor. I have a friend whose grandparents are Benin with a house in a village in orhriomwon. The boy's father adopted an ika name and he lives in Agbor and doesn't go home. Today my friend claims he is ika and sometimes he says he is Benin. He is confused also. The palace is doing the right thing. Pick one and stop being confused

They are not binis, the binis are not the only tribe that live in Igodomigodo

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 6:56am On Nov 13, 2019
ezenwajosh:

Their name is Igbo akiri I don't need to go ahead telling you why they were shifted to Edo....

I have an Edo friend who doesn't consider them Benins...I even asked him what's the meaning igbanke he said he doesn't know that's its not Edo language

Nigeria is a bunch of experiment where people and joined without consulting the indigenous people....Nigeria is a poultry farm...even in poultry you sort birds to avoid CANNIBALISM but Nigeria don't care because its all about its my turn to in 3095

No body joined the Igbanke to Edo State.

They have always been in Igodomigodo their ancestral land.
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 13, 2019
ChiSomtoChi:

Are you from Igbanke ? or Igbo akiri as you called it?

Are you from there?
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:04am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

Are you from Igbanke?

And so I hold.
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 13, 2019
ChiSomtoChi:

Are you an Igbanke?
You, are you Igbanke?
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 13, 2019
Ardar:

And so I hold.

They are fully Benin.
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 13, 2019
ezenwajosh:

@bolded.

That's a pure lie.
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Amumaigwe: 7:08am On Nov 13, 2019
ChiSomtoChi:

@Bolded:
There is nothing the SE Igbo elites can do for them because they readily deny they are Igbos. If they have now realized they are Igbos, let them admit it publicly and reach out to the Igbo umbrella body for help. Until then, let everyone carry his chosen burden. Enough of these insults on Igbos in their quest to identify and unite their brethren scattered all over the South who are in denial of their Igbo heritage as to win favour from Igbo enemies.

9 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 13, 2019
odigbosky:

As at today, they are benins...
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Amumaigwe: 7:12am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

Are you from Igbanke?

How old is Edo State please?

5 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:12am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

They are not Binis, they are not Igbos but we are all one. We have been living together for thousands of years. Contrary to what the Igbos think that some of their children came to Edo State to become Igbanke,[s] the Igbos actually migrated from their to the east[/s].

Today they are benins and fully benins.

Igbos did migrate from Benin. Stop that Aristotlean theory.

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 7:13am On Nov 13, 2019
MelesZenawi:

As at today, they are benins...

They are not binis

Is like saying the Ijaws in Edo State are binis

Igbankes are Igbankes and they have been in Edo State for thousands of years
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

No body joined the Igbanke to Edo State.
They have always been in Igodomigodo their ancestral land.
Exactly.
That's the truth but as today they are Benins.
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 7:14am On Nov 13, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Today they are benins and fully benins.

Igbos did migrate from Benin. Stop that Aristotlean theory.

They did, from Owa
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

They are not binis

Is like saying the Ijaws in Edo State are binis

Igbankes are Igbankes and they have been in Edo State for thousands of years

Igbankes are Igbankes is nothing but trash because it has no meaning.

Igbankes we know today are Benins.
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 7:18am On Nov 13, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Igbankes are Igbankes is nothing but trash because it has no meaning.

Igbankes we know today are Benins.

Are you a Benin

If yes, which local government
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

They did, from Owa

Igbos did not migrate from any Benin.

That's a fairy tale which everybody or right thinking person knows it is not true...

Igbos never migrated from Benin..pls

9 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 7:20am On Nov 13, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Igbos did not migrate from any Benin.

That's a fairy tale which everybody or right thinking person knows it is not true...

Igbos never migrated from Benin..pls

I asked you a question
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

Are you a Benin

If yes, which local government

I just stated the obvious facts. let's stop this online argument because in real life reality will be staring us in the face.

The people today are Benins and comfortable with that.

Let it be.
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

I asked you a question
I answered you politely.
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 7:23am On Nov 13, 2019
MelesZenawi:

I just stated the obvious facts. let's stop this online argument because in real life reality will be staring us in the face.

The people today are Benins and comfortable with that.

Let it be.

I dont think you are from Benin or Edo State

You refused to answer my question
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 13, 2019
Atigba:

I dont think you are from Benin or Edo State
You refused to answer my question
But I said the obvious truth?
Re: The Plight Of The Igbanke People(formerly Igbo-akiri) In Edo State by Atigba: 7:29am On Nov 13, 2019
MelesZenawi:

But I said the obvious truth?

You have not said anything, I wanted to know your local government in Benin.

The Igbos are from Owa

Igbankes are like the Ijaws in Edo State

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This Woman In Buhari Cabinet Is Far Worse Than Diezanj Alisson Madueke / Leaving The U.s.a To Nigeria For Good. / 14 Die In Kaduna-abuja Highway Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.