Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits (32676 Views)

CBN Suspends COVID-Linked Loan Relief And Raises Interest Rates To 9% / Banks Raise Lending Rates To 30 Per Cent / CBN To Sell N252bn Treasury Bills Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by prof2007: 6:06am On Nov 14, 2019
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) crashed average stop rates of treasury bills at the primary market to single-digit; to 8.93% from 10.48%, Business Post can report. As anticipated, the exercise was oversubscribed, as investors staked a total of N555.98 bn on the N125 bn T-bills brought to the market by the apex bank.

CBN had offered investors N4.38 bn worth of 91-day bills, N12.92 bn of 182-day bills and N107.94 bn of 364-day bills. However, when subscriptions were analysed, the bank had N58.43 bn staked on the 3-month instrument, N57.85 bn on the 6-month and N439.70 bn on the 12-month tenor. At the end of the exercise, CBN allotted N4.38 bn of 91-day bills at 7.80%, N12.92 bn of 182-day bills at 9.00% and N107.94 bn of 364-day bills at 10.00%.

When compared with previous session held October 30, 2019, stop rates of the 91-day bill dropped from 9.5%, the 182-day bill from 10.45% and the 364-day bill from 11.50%. Business Post reports that if the demand for treasury bills continue, stop rates would further be lowered by the central bank at the next exercise fixed for November 27, 2019.

As stated in our earlier report, investors will continue to look at the primary market for treasury bills as a result of the recent directive of the CBN on the sale of its OMO bills (READ IT HERE: https://businesspost.ng/economy/rush-for-t-bills-to-weaken-rates-at-wednesdays-pma/). This will continue to drive the rates lower until there is an inevitable need for another hike to trap investors.

SOURCE (abridged): https://businesspost.ng/economy/cbn-crashes-treasury-bills-rates-to-single-digit/amp/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by VicThory(m): 7:42am On Nov 14, 2019
Is it for good or bad?

I don't understand

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by VicThory(m): 7:43am On Nov 14, 2019
Is it for good or bad?

I don't understand

lalasticlala

mynd44

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by ntyce(m): 7:49am On Nov 14, 2019
Good news

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by digicoon: 7:50am On Nov 14, 2019
Oops

1 Like

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by ursullalinda(f): 7:50am On Nov 14, 2019
Pls someone should break down in a lay man's language

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by Flexherbal(m): 7:50am On Nov 14, 2019
Everything in Nigeria is crashing, only taxes and bills are rising...

Let me concentrate on my herbs preparations.
Uncle Tony must not be a two minutes man, Click Here as his honeymoon starts this weekend. Anty Tacha must be satisfied.

If not that the business terrain in Nigeria is too rugged, who would have been investing in treasury bills!

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:50am On Nov 14, 2019
C

1 Like

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by fidelmarshal199: 7:50am On Nov 14, 2019
I don't really know anything bout this. so I will wait for the expert to explain what it's all bout.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by Kendumazy(m): 7:50am On Nov 14, 2019
Hmmmmmm. The interesting parts of TB is gradually coming to an end. TB is now looking like fixed deposit.

8GB atm card flash drive for #1000 only available for sale. Moq is 12pcs. It's a nice gift for your clients this coming festive period.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 14, 2019
Crap. The train is coming to an end . Just as I was getting on board sad

22 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by yungbillionaire(m): 7:51am On Nov 14, 2019
same here man @ 1st comment above

2 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by ctleurocollege: 7:51am On Nov 14, 2019
grin grin Una think say Govt na fool?

7 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 14, 2019
Sounding like bad news

In Nigeria bad news comes in the morning and evening.
The afternoon is always better.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by datola: 7:51am On Nov 14, 2019
VicThory:
Is it for good or bad?

I don't understand

lalasticlala

mynd44

It means lower cost of sourcing funds at the Primary market.

Bad news for investors and good news for borrowers (mostly government).

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by Lusola15: 7:51am On Nov 14, 2019
Bad news

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by Thegoodone13(m): 7:51am On Nov 14, 2019
The good ,the bad

2 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by dayleke: 7:51am On Nov 14, 2019
VicThory:
Is it for good or bad?

I don't understand

Thank you my brother.
You just said wetin dey my mind ni o....

3 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by Leadafrica: 7:52am On Nov 14, 2019
After so many people were enticed and they invested, now you bring the rates down, issorait

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by KingAzari: 7:52am On Nov 14, 2019
In layman's terms please? All these number are making me dizzy.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by dayleke: 7:52am On Nov 14, 2019
Somebody please analyze o....

"Crash" means bad news anyway.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by rayobaba(m): 7:52am On Nov 14, 2019
bad, u can no longer see short term treasury biils, say 2 months. Now mostly, you will see 8 to 9 months at lower interest just to discourage people.
VicThory:
Is it for good or bad?

I don't understand

4 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by donprinyo(m): 7:53am On Nov 14, 2019
Cabal and northerners raking Nigeria wealth

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by DenreleDave(m): 7:53am On Nov 14, 2019
prof2007:
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) crashed average stop rates of treasury bills at the primary market to single-digit; to 8.93% from 10.48%, Business Post can report. As anticipated, the exercise was oversubscribed, as investors staked a total of N555.98 bn on the N125 bn T-bills brought to the market by the apex bank.

CBN had offered investors N4.38 bn worth of 91-day bills, N12.92 bn of 182-day bills and N107.94 bn of 364-day bills. However, when subscriptions were analysed, the bank had N58.43 bn staked on the 3-month instrument, N57.85 bn on the 6-month and N439.70 bn on the 12-month tenor. At the end of the exercise, CBN allotted N4.38 bn of 91-day bills at 7.80%, N12.92 bn of 182-day bills at 9.00% and N107.94 bn of 364-day bills at 10.00%.

When compared with previous session held October 30, 2019, stop rates of the 91-day bill dropped from 9.5%, the 182-day bill from 10.45% and the 364-day bill from 11.50%. Business Post reports that if the demand for treasury bills continue, stop rates would further be lowered by the central bank at the next exercise fixed for November 27, 2019.

As stated in our earlier report, investors will continue to look at the primary market for treasury bills as a result of the recent directive of the CBN on the sale of its OMO bills (READ IT HERE: https://businesspost.ng/economy/rush-for-t-bills-to-weaken-rates-at-wednesdays-pma/). This will continue to drive the rates lower until there is an inevitable need for another hike to trap investors.

SOURCE (abridged): https://businesspost.ng/economy/cbn-crashes-treasury-bills-rates-to-single-digit/amp/

.. Pls i am a banking and finance student, can someone explain more about this to me?

I bliv learning is unending

7 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by TissuePaper: 7:53am On Nov 14, 2019
Cc barrytone ahiboilandgas
Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by seunlayi(m): 7:54am On Nov 14, 2019
Cbn and our economy are like Nta and poor visual broadcast

6 Likes

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by Nobody: 7:54am On Nov 14, 2019
Bravo!!!

Nigeria is a mad area when it comes to investment. Cabals everywhere. I always wonder why Nigerian bills are double digits. It is crazy. Cabals everywhere. Inside trading in Nigeria is mad.

All those comments up are funny. They are waiting for comments to follow up. Lol. You will see them modifying very soon.

Nairaland is really a terrible site. Lol. Instead of them to leave the spot for people who can make reasonable comments....they will be booking space. And then...they will still make useless modifications. Chai.....Seun needs to really buckle up. Many things wrong with NL. Honestly.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by rastamouse: 7:54am On Nov 14, 2019
For those asking whether its good or bad, it depends where you are. If you bought some of the bills, its a bad news for you.

However if you are a business, this is a good news. When the treasury bills rates go down, banks turn to borrowers. If the rates are high, the banks prefer to invest in those bills.

Hope I explained something

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by alizma: 7:54am On Nov 14, 2019
Good news. High interest rate on treasury bills discourages deposit with commercial banks thereby reduce the amount available to lend to active and potential entrepreneurs who needs money for their business. For government to reduce the rate in its treasury bill, it also shows that government internally generated revenue has increase or the collecting agents do no longer hold money for too long( benefit of Treasury Single Account) therefore government is now able to meet up its short term needed funds and no longer rely heavily on treasury bills to fund its short term expenses.

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by izzou(m): 7:54am On Nov 14, 2019
ornicus:
Crap. The train is coming to an end . Just as I was getting on board sad

Are you serious?

What's the effect of this? Finance is not my forte
Re: CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits by cj4humanity: 7:54am On Nov 14, 2019
Very bad news

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gas Plant Explodes, On Fire In Baruwa, Lagos (Video) / Meet Fewa Otedola, The Only Son Of Nigerian Billionaire Femi Otedola!! / Sadiq Jambo: "Arthur Eze puts Me Through Oil Business As My Surrogate Father"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.