Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,171 members, 7,953,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:19 PM

What It Means To Be Overqualified For A Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What It Means To Be Overqualified For A Job (357 Views)

IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THIS FOUR PROBLEMS,IT MEANS YOU ARE MAKING PROGRESS IN LIFE. / Female Edo Mechanic: "Any quick means of making money is not on my mind" / What It Means To Earn Well In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What It Means To Be Overqualified For A Job by H100: 9:03am On Nov 14, 2019
Being labelled as overqualified for a job sounds really sad, as the candidate seems to have all the right skill set and knowledge base, yet company doesn't want to hire them. Certainly a difficult position to be in while assuring a potential employer of your authenticity. And this seems to be the new tag line for hiring companies. Here on this content, I will list what the sincere cause could be and further explain what "I" think is the way out

Now, what does it mean to be “OVERQUALIFIED”

According to influential career consultant, Kirsty Bonner, It could be defined for a variety of reasons which could possibly be that:

1. Your qualifications are a threat to existing management.

2. Employer thinks you won’t be willing to perform menial tasks.

3. You are too old in their eyes.

4. It is believed you may get bored in the role.

5. Company is worried it can’t meet your salary expectations.

6. You didn’t perform well in the interview, but they don’t want to tell you that.

7. They don’t see you as a good cultural fit.

8. Employer thinks you are taking the job to bridge a gap, and won’t hang around for long.

9. You are genuinely too qualified for a specific role

In her words, “Overqualified” is a sad euphemism used by too many employers. But “Underqualified” is also a reality.

It is so irritating that companies rather than ask questions, would rather throw CV’s in the bin. Most likely Losing the best candidates.

But to be fair, In a handful of cases, Someone who is overqualified for a job but recruited never sticks on the job for long. Such an employee is never sincere in his duty. Organisation can therefore not take advantage of his qualifications and experience. Having said that, it is also a reality that in this age of recession and unemployment, candidates rush for any opening irrespective whether it is commensurate with their qualifications. We have all seen PhDs and Post graduates taking up a clerk's job. I have also seen "overqualified" people accepting and productively doing very junior roles.

The overqualified label is issued way too many times to job seekers. Oftentimes, it is given based on employers' assumptions on what might happen and not based on facts. Each individual has his or her unique situation and circumstances.

SOURCE >>> SELF TRUTHS

Lalasticlala, CrazyMan, 1forall

Re: What It Means To Be Overqualified For A Job by villagecraft: 9:17am On Nov 14, 2019
Somehow, this is scary.

Should fresh graduates still do their masters and all sort of advancing their studies?

This is why young graduates are following clueless politicians like houseflies. Our Masters Degree and PhD holders are driving Danfo in Lagos, doing yahoo in Benin, faking pastors across river niger with militancy on the other side of the divide. Plus rampant pedophile acts somewhere in the in the upper cardinal of this country.

Which way patriots?

1 Like

Re: What It Means To Be Overqualified For A Job by wilsonchilboy(m): 10:56am On Nov 14, 2019
E get as e be oh

a friend of mine who studied in the UK came back to 9ja jobless i decided 2 help hin by linking him up with one oil dealing company, he submitted his CV we wer hoping that tnz wil turn out wel base on say my nigga get yankee certificate.
Weeks passed no cal from the company so i decided to cal the secretary 2 knw wats up, she told me 2maro is their interview i was like wtf and no one sent him text. So i asked my friend to dress the next day and go for the interview... A week after the interview stil no cal or text from... I called the secretary again she is my friend tho so she opend up to me that the first day they saw my friends CV they just disqualified him that they feek the nigga wil knw too much base on his yankee certificate. So they imployed someone els., mhen i felt bad 4 dis country weather u school 4 yankee or 4 naija omo no difference in job searching... Work no dey

1 Like

Re: What It Means To Be Overqualified For A Job by villagecraft: 11:13am On Nov 14, 2019
wilsonchilboy:
E get as e be oh

a friend of mine who studied in the UK came back to 9ja jobless i decided 2 help hin by linking him up with one oil dealing company, he submitted his CV we wer hoping that tnz wil turn out wel base on say my nigga get yankee certificate.
Weeks passed no cal from the company so i decided to cal the secretary 2 knw wats up, she told me 2maro is their interview i was like wtf and no one sent him text. So i asked my friend to dress the next day and go for the interview... A week after the interview stil no cal or text from... I called the secretary again she is my friend tho so she opend up to me that the first day they saw my friends CV they just disqualified him that they feek the nigga wil knw too much base on his yankee certificate. So they imployed someone els., mhen i felt bad 4 dis country weather u school 4 yankee or 4 naija omo no difference in job searching... Work no dey

This really hits a lot of people a lot of time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What It Means To Be Overqualified For A Job by emmadeking(m): 11:24am On Nov 14, 2019
wilsonchilboy:
E get as e be oh

Its now a crime to study abroad?
Na wa oo

Some foreign students, if not most, are not better than 9ja graduates... Depending on the 9ja school though.

Our education system is poor but graduates over here have always performed well when on further studies abroad.

Why get intimidated because someone studied abroad?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Third Convocation Ceremony In Federal University Of Kashere,Gombe State . / Dubai Jobs Made Easy. (free Seminar) / How To Deal With Negative Thoughts (the Healthy Way)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.