Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,778 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

How Did You Become An Atheist - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did You Become An Atheist (8469 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by coldhearts(f): 2:39am On Nov 19, 2010
cybervodoo:

Am not really an Atheist cos i believe there is a God that over see the affairs of all mankind, but if anyone can tell me why Jesus Christ is always depicted as a white man, I will start going to church again

Oh i know the answer to this one grin
If we go by recent scientific claims then it's safe to say that this is because he is a of a superior neander*thal lineage cheesy but perhaps they're wrong. Anyway, you can always re-paint your own jesus brown, blue, green, black or have him with all the colors of the rainbow tongue
Now go to church already grin grin grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by trooperz(m): 3:06am On Nov 19, 2010
MANKIND HAS ADVANCED.

MOSES DID'NT HAVE TO STRESS HIMSELF TO CLIMB A MOUNTAIN TO GET THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

IN THIS NEW WORLD, GOD WOULD HAVE SENT IT BY E-MAIL cool

I'M ONLY ANTI-DOGMA.

Galileo Galilei was locked up by the Church because through reason and observation, he discovered that the Sun was fixed and other planetary bodies revolved round it.

His observation was a challenge to the infallible catholic doctrine "dogma" that other planetary bodies revolved round the "EARTH". Therefore he was locked up

and put under house arrest for life. In recent times, pope's have come out to apologise to the lineage and bloodline of Galilio Galilei for the "churchs mistake".

In fact the New pope Ben and his associates, have come with a new one. Guess what? They said, "Highly evolved extra terrestrial lifeforms may be living in space and would be welcomed into the church - "no matter how many tentacles", one of the Pope's astronomers has said. grin, Pope Benedict XVI's astronomer: the Catholic Church welcomes aliens, TRUST ME, NO CHRISTIAN DENOMINATION KNOWS MORE THAN THE PONTIFFFFFF, tongue

Must I reference this? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/the-pope/8009299/Pope-Benedict-XVIs-astronomer-the-Catholic-Church-welcomes-aliens.html
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by oolu(m): 3:18am On Nov 19, 2010
Missy ★ B:

I do not have a knack for arguing about the existence of God and/or his relevance to the universe. I seldom post on such threads but . . . . Just to indulge you . . .
Christians know that God created the world and didn't abandon it, afterwards
It would be so, only if we established that God actually abandoned the Universe.  i.e I have to agree with the premise before the conclusion. No?
I'm a Christian. God created the Universe and everything in it. He didn't/hasn't abandoned it . . .  He's still very much in control. Source? The Bible.  Do you have any source to back up your belief? smiley

It is also not very common of me to argue religion and I'd probably stop after today. Logic and reasoning are the two things I base my opinion on. The universe is just too complex to have happened by chance. Hence, there must be a divine being, somehow, somewhere. The intricacies of life are beyond the grasp of mere mortals like you and I. I don't have proof for all these, but commonsense dictates my stance.

If God still controls the Universe, why would a 'just' God tolerate so much injustice.
It is even more injustice and absolute wickedness to say that a lifelong faithful servant of God will burn in the fires of hell if he commits a trivial sin seconds b4 he meets his death but a hardened serial killer and rapist will enjoy the eternal bliss of heaven if he confesses his sins and acknowledges the Lord and Saviour just before his execution.  

If only faithful Christians went to heaven, It would be so unfair for the ignorant lot amongst us who have not the opportunity afforded the faithfuls in knowing the almighty God,to rot in everlasting bondage. It is tantamount to saying our forefathers, the primitive villagers in remotest parts of the world who haven't a clue as to what Christianity is,  the born and bred Muslims ( and other religions), etc will burn in hell for no fault of theirs. Nah! That can't be God. I know God shouldn't be judged, God can do whatever he pleases bla bla bla, but isn't he supposed to be a merciful God?

My take is that, God created the Universe, set it in motion and folded his arms. Of course, he put in place some basic laws to ensure its survival. God gave us reasoning capabilities and he expects us to use it.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by BaboonYansh: 7:25am On Nov 19, 2010
oolu:

It is also not very common of me to argue religion and I'd probably stop after today. Logic and reasoning are the two things I base my opinion on. The universe is just too complex to have happened by chance. Hence, there must be a divine being, somehow, somewhere. The intricacies of life are beyond the grasp of mere mortals like you and I. I don't have proof for all these, but commonsense dictates my stance.

If God still controls the Universe, why would a 'just' God tolerate so much injustice.
It is even more injustice and absolute wickedness to say that a lifelong faithful servant of God will burn in the fires of hell if he commits a trivial sin seconds b4 he meets his death but a hardened serial killer and despoiler will enjoy the eternal bliss of heaven if he confesses his sins and acknowledges the Lord and Saviour just before his execution.  

If only faithful Christians went to heaven, It would be so unfair for the ignorant lot amongst us who have not the opportunity afforded the faithfuls in knowing the almighty God,to rot in everlasting bondage. It is tantamount to saying our forefathers, the primitive villagers in remotest parts of the world who haven't a clue as to what Christianity is,  the born and bred Muslims ( and other religions), etc will burn in hell for no fault of theirs. Nah! That can't be God. I know God shouldn't be judged, God can do whatever he pleases bla bla bla, but isn't he supposed to be a merciful God?

My take is that, God created the Universe, set it in motion and folded his arms. Of course, he put in place some basic laws to ensure its survival. God gave us reasoning capabilities and he expects us to use it.
Brother, I bet you most religions have some sort of crafted answer to those questions you raised. In fact man invented religion to explain the unknowns in our existencial experience.

My big cousin who introduced me to Nairaland used to tell me something , the tortoise has several crack-like lines on its backs - Thats the REALITY. Now different cultures have different fairy tales that have been woven to explain that reality, like one where the tortoise was said to have been flown to heaven by the bird for a feast and he became greedy and ate all the food in the banquet , the tortoise having lost the favour of his bird friend now had to jump down from heaven on his own hence broke its shell which was subsequently glued together by his wife but alas the cracks remain to this day.

If you ask for evidence for this story they point to the story book and show you the cracks on a tortoise' back and say that proves the story is true. Ridiculous isn't it? Now If you ask them Why should I believe your own fairytale and disregard all others that equally explain the tortoise cracks in other ways, they begin scratching their heads. Same with christians, muslims and most religions.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Dukechimi: 8:38am On Nov 19, 2010
Guys, dis is wat an atheiest said 2 me.
"THANK GOD I'M AN ATHEIEST". i felt pity 4 him
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by xoxogg(f): 9:09am On Nov 19, 2010
Interesting and educative thread. I hate it when i see ppl insulting each other over religion.Most important is that each and every individual owes a search for truth in all directions to himself, don't follow mummy, daddy, the easiest, most difficult, most popular or what have you.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by harakiri(m): 10:23am On Nov 19, 2010
One more thing in response to this thread. . . i opened a topic both on nairaland and naijapals and it's directed at Christians of which till this day, NOT ONE SOUL has been able to provide a credible answer even after several months.Here's the link below :

http://www.naijapals.com/modules/naijapals/nigeria/topic,40427.0-.html

End of!
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by harakiri(m): 10:30am On Nov 19, 2010
trooperz:

IN THE PHYSICAL WORLD,
ONE MAN CANNOT DIE TWICE,

IN THE SPIRITUAL WORLD,
YOUR SOUL CANNOT FLY TWICE.

CHRISTIANITY IS A SCAM, USED FOR TERRITORIAL CONQUEST. WHY? THE U.S.A IS ACTUALLY EXPANDING THE EMPIRE IN THE NAME OF TERRORISM AND FORCING THE IRAQIS TO CONVERT TO CHRISTIANITY.

I'M ELATED IT HAS'NT TAKEN SO LONG FOR AFRICANS (NIGERIANS TO UPLIFT THEIR MINDS FROM THE COLONIAL TRICK.)
THERE IS A SUPREME FORCE THAT OVERSEES THE AFFAIRS OF MAN. NOT JESUS, JESUS IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER.

I WAS BORN INTO THE ANGLICAN COMMUNION, ATTENDED COVENANT UNIVERSITY. MY SOUL WAS TORTURED. TRUST ME. THE ONLY HOLY MAN IS JESUS AND HE IS FICTIONAL.  cool

PEOPLE FEAR WHAT THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND AND HATE WHAT THEY CANT CONQUER.

Please help me tell them oooooo!

Sometimes i wonder why they bothered going to school when they can't apply their common sense to know their left from their right.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Sirmee(m): 11:39am On Nov 19, 2010
If truly there is no God, if all about Christ and God are just fairytales so why all recorded in the book of Revelation coming to past during this generation. "I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE; NO ONE GOES TO THE FATHER EXCEPT BY ME" John14:6. You can still retrace your steps today and He'll welcome you with open arms. As for me and my household, Jehovah we will serve forever.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Okijajuju1(m): 12:00pm On Nov 19, 2010
when did you become an atheist?

About 6 years ago.

please share your story of how you became an
atheist ?

I just got tired of the whole crap after reveiwing all I have been told. First and foremost the following bible stories where rather ridiculous; "THE TOWER OF BABEL"  [sounded like a bad disney movie production], the story of "NOAH & THE ARK" [was just bunkers], JONAH & THE WHALE [childrens fairy tales], LOT's WIFE's PILLAR OF SALT STORY [Folk tale], MOSES & THE RED SEA [are you freaking kidding me], ELIJAH & THE CHARIOT OF FIRE [Nigger please!!], e.t.c. These stories just started to sound like the crap they were. O and then I went further to see the intolorance that was being encouraged and that was it for me.

I went further and explored Islam a bit and discovered they were both the same thing with two different action heroes.

what prompted you to make that decision

See above. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

And I figured if Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, The tooth fairy, and wili-wili weren't real, I guess God must be one of them too.

do you come from a family of atheists - (no insults meant here)

I dont feel insulted, and Yes! Like 99% of Nigerians raised in Nigeria, by Nigerians, I come from a religious home, born Pentecostal  to a Pastor, raised Anglican, genuinely gave my life to christ at the age of 14, baptized same year, preached the word of God for 5 years, was nicknamed "Pastor", Back-slided at the age of 20 and I have never regretted it.

which religion do  you particular find repugnant?

All religions that dont have any scientific or physical proof of the existence of their said "GOD" rather than the words written in some religious manuscript in 19-forever-ago, by some unknown fellow.

which religion do you find - nearly acceptable if you
wanted to be religious -

Buddism! Of all the religions I've seen thus far, they seem to be the most reserved!

[size=18pt]what are you views on :[/size]

death

Natural Order of things!! We are born, and we will surely die!! Every thing that has a begining, has an End.

pre/post marital sex

As long as it is consentual between adults, then please by all means get your groove on!

stealing

If you can get away with it, your luck. If you get caught, you must be punished.

lying

A natural part of human nature, use a a form of self defence.

murder

He who kills, should be killed.

afterlife

What the Bleep is that shit?!
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by trooperz(m): 1:42pm On Nov 19, 2010
@Sirmee, these so called prophecies of revelation can only come to pass as long as a Christian nation (America) is the superpower/global police. They will steer

the world in the path of their religio-political doctrine. When Greece was at the peak of civilization, Zeus was on mount Olympus and ruled with veto power.

Where is Zeus now? The God of the Greek god's has been relegated to the literature category of "mythology". If the people of Ancient Greece were to come

around now, the following will occur:

1). They will climb mount Olympus and assassinate Zeus.

2). They will climb mount Olympus and assassinate Zeus.

3). They will climb mount Olympus and assassinate Zeus.

4) They will climb mount Olympus and assassinate Zeus. x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

The bible should not be consumed at face value due to its "allegorical" nature. What is an allegory? The representation of abstract ideas or principles by

characters, figures, or events in narrative, dramatic, or pictorial form. The common man will get confused reading the bible, BUT the true INITIATE of the

ESOTERIC SOCIETY has the knowledge to decipher the coded nature of the bible,

@My dear brother Sirmee.

King David was a murderer, killer, womanizer, chasing every punny, snatching a wife and sending the husband to the war-front, violating the commandments,

yet "HE WAS A MAN AFTER GODS OWN HEART" and Jesus was born from this lineage, my dear brother Sirmee, have you killed, have you snatched some ones

wife and sent the husband to the war-front? Are you a man after GODS heart? Why not?, >>>>In fact man should never

fight man over religion (except the Ignorant), the Gods should show themselves and fight. I will follow the winner cheesy cool Have a blissful weekend NL.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by okeyxyz(m): 3:22pm On Nov 19, 2010

atheist ?
I am not atheist. i'm a christian, but not d conventional christian. most ppl don't think i am, & u probably won't too. reason? i believe[b] i can't sin, & principally sex without marriage can not b sin[/b]. i believe this freedom from sin is the gift of christ( thus i am a christian). i don't go to church because non teach what i believe & i don't do d practices of conventional christianity, d only thing i have in common wit conventional christianity is dat i profess christ as my saviour. "full stop".

i'd always had questions abt god & universe, as a child i thought there must b 2 gods wit opposing principles, this would account for d defection of lucifer(devil) to d other side, i.e somebody or some being must have lured him away. But i'd have this thaughts with fear. i was really scared of being wrong & ending up dead & in hell.

at 19, i met somebody who taught d principle of liberty from sin, especially sexual liberty, i decided this was d truth & there's been no going back since. i'd never been happier, no fear of death or my soul perishing. cool

it all made sense. the righteousness of god is a gift, it's a nature, it's in our genes, not something u attain by denying urself of what u naturally want.

i come from a catholic christian background.

which religion do  you particular find repugnant?
they all teach the same principle.
thou shalt not do this, thou shalt not do that.
i have a problem with ppl who seek to enforce their ideas on another individual, eg: religious intolerance. rather i'd enforce my ideas on myself.

wanted to be religious
dat's a hard one. like i said: thous shalt not do this, thou shalt not do that.

what are you views on :
death
If i drop dead today, i'll have no regrets whatsoever. i'm not afraid where my soul ends up. my conscience bears me witness. i think i'll carry on d enjoyment in d after life grin

pre/post marital sex
sex is an adult right, it's nature.  as long as there's mutual consent.

stealing

lying

murder
i have only one ans, what ever u chose to do, u must also accept d consequences: if An armed robber pays me a visit? i'll shoot him first at d first chance i get. no remorse.

afterlife
continue enjoying what i'm enjoying now, and much more.

many views on the above subjects are influenced by religion.
without religious injunctions the actions become amoral.
religion is good as a first schooling. i have graduated from that & moved on to a higher knowledge.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by InkedNerd(f): 4:37pm On Nov 19, 2010
bawomolo:

this inked nerd chick is something else  grin grin

in what ways am i a stranger to you though?

Yes, I am something else. Like my mother always said to me, "My dear, I've come to realize that your insanity isn't something that started recently. You've always been crazy, I just didn't realize it when you were young."

Idk, you just seem sort of distant and mysterious I guess. Still think I'm a "weak atheist"?

trooperz:

MANKIND HAS ADVANCED.

MOSES DID'NT HAVE TO STRESS HIMSELF TO CLIMB A MOUNTAIN TO GET THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

IN THIS NEW WORLD, GOD WOULD HAVE SENT IT BY E-MAIL cool

I'M ONLY ANTI-DOGMA.

Galileo Galilei was locked up by the Church because through reason and observation, he discovered that the Sun was fixed and other planetary bodies revolved round it.

His observation was a challenge to the infallible catholic doctrine "dogma" that other planetary bodies revolved round the "EARTH". Therefore he was locked up

and put under house arrest for life. In recent times, pope's have come out to apologise to the lineage and bloodline of Galilio Galilei for the "churchs mistake".

In fact the New pope Ben and his associates, have come with a new one. Guess what? They said, "Highly evolved extra terrestrial lifeforms may be living in space and would be welcomed into the church - "no matter how many tentacles", one of the Pope's astronomers has said. grin, Pope Benedict XVI's astronomer: the Catholic Church welcomes aliens, TRUST ME, NO CHRISTIAN DENOMINATION KNOWS MORE THAN THE PONTIFFFFFF,  tongue

Must I reference this?  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/the-pope/8009299/Pope-Benedict-XVIs-astronomer-the-Catholic-Church-welcomes-aliens.html

Lmaaaaaaooooo, funny.

harakiri:

One more thing in response to this thread. . . i opened a topic both on nairaland and naijapals and it's directed at Christians of which till this day, NOT ONE SOUL has been able to provide a credible answer even after several months.Here's the link below :

http://www.naijapals.com/modules/naijapals/nigeria/topic,40427.0-.html

End of!

Interesting comments.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by harakiri(m): 5:49pm On Nov 19, 2010
Sirmee:

If truly there is no God, if all about Christ and God are just fairytales so why all recorded in the book of Revelation coming to past during this generation. "I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE; NO ONE GOES TO THE FATHER EXCEPT BY ME" John14:6. You can still retrace your steps today and He'll welcome you with open arms. As for me and my household, Jehovah we will serve forever. 

I have two simple questions for this ridiculous reply above. . .

(1) Apart from what you have been brainwashed with from childhood, what concrete proof can you provide to show that the bible you so believe in was indeed handed down to mankind by a supreme being and not written by human beings like me and you?

(2) If the bible was written by blacks like you and me, would you have so much faith in it as you do now or are you so narrow minded to have forgotten that the same people who brought "holy holy holy" christianity to you are the same people that brought slave trade,guns,liquor and all sorts of corruption.

When will people grow up! ! !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Ormania(m): 5:50pm On Nov 19, 2010

atheist ?

Hmm, what do u call someone who is not religious or atheist or agnostic?  undecided am that one i guess.

stupidity of religious people and atheists. 95% od religious ppl are ignorant, while 100%-10%+5% of Atheists are aroggants  grin

do you come from a family of atheists - (no insults meant here)[/color=#990000]

NO! am from a religious one.

[color=#990000]which religion do  you particular find repugnant?

Wahala! anything religious is repugnant  undecided

wanted to be religious

None i know of.

what are you views on :
death

If you are born, u will die. if u r not yet born then relax you won't die, u r safe  grin

pre/post marital sex

Pre-sex, hmm, if your hormons are high and you get willing opposit/same sex who would want to cool the hormons down, then have it. if u cant get one, then try it alone, dont get it by force.that will make you look like a religious or atheist or agnostic person grin

Stealing

its good if you stay away from it, but if u hv to steal then do it carefully without greed. otherwise it will make you like the others, religious, atheists, agnostics,

lying

Same as the earlier

murder

it is better not to kill anybody. but sometimes our nature is unpredictable, like if a metaly chalenged person come to kill u wt gun or ur landlord wanna kill u coz u didnt pay rent, or if a man rape mother and doughter and give them hiv and chope the head of the housband then kiiil! sad

afterlife

its eithr there is or there isn't. if there is not, then yeye! good for you! but if there is, i dont know, you r introuble  undecided i guess, coz the so called "GOD" will put u off ur cloths and throw u into da fire, then fee calls himself i am GOD and then he will smile for himself, grin grin grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by nodullin(m): 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2010
I am not an Atheist
but i have questions for fellow Atheist,
what happens when we sleep??
what makes us wake from our sleep??
If we cannot explain logically the reasons behind activities while we are asleep,
then it goes to show that there are mysteries behind the human life,
And Some kind of Being is behind these mysteries,
That Being is beyond mans Imagination,
and Cannot be explained by mans limited reasoning ability,
But fact remains,
there is a Mysterious being,
And that is why Christians cannot explain the theory of God logically,
It has 2 be spiritual/supernatural,
it is beyond the physical/mental/rational,
U will know him in spirit,
Tell God to reveal himself to you all in spirit,
Love y"all!!!!!!!!
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by harakiri(m): 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2010
no dullin:

I am not an Atheist
If we cannot explain logically the reasons behind activities while we are asleep,
But fact remains,
Love y"all!!!!!!!!

I have a thing or two to ask anti-atheist like you. . .

Is it a must that i must be religious? Is it by force for me to be into one religion or the other all because i don't want to be the "odd man" out? Must i force myself to worship something of which i can brazenly provide at least 200 discrepancies and inconsistencies that just don't add up or make sense? What proof can you show that what you are serving is the real deal apart from what you have been brainwashed with from childhood and sunday sunday brain touches?

Hmmm?

Speechless?

Abeg, make person hia word jare. Nobody stops you from decieving yourself but leave those who are liberated alone. Wallow and dwell in your self deception!

End of!
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Ormania(m): 6:06pm On Nov 19, 2010
no dullin:

I am not an Atheist
But fact remains,
Love y"all!!!!!!!!

Dude, r u saying that we dont know what is goin on while asleep means there is GOD? kiddin me? we dont know what is goin on when we sleep it is just because human understanding is yet not mature enough to know what is really goin asleep. For sure after some years u will see that some one will come up with the clear scientific xplanation, then that means your GOD is finishd!  grin grin grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by ollybosieb: 7:29pm On Nov 19, 2010
Let's just say i BELIEVE in GOD, DEATH but LIFEAFTER hmmmmm nope( we called it ORUN A RE MA BO) MEANING WHERE YOU GO AND NO RETURNING
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 12:00am On Nov 20, 2010
ANY black person who is an atheist should be DEEPLY and UTTERLY ASHAMED of themselves. Look at how much bullschit, injustice and humiliation black people the world over have suffered and yet we as a people still bounce back and are naturally resilient; if that is not soul I do not know what you call it. The bond that we have, the gift of song and compassion is truly and obviously the work of something divine. Look at the atrocities committed by and to us from ourselves and other races and yet we still live on and before you give thanks for the gift of life and surviving the dangers we face everyday, you all jump on this western band wagon. The air you breathe, the voice we call conscience, the water, the animals and life itself cannot be and is not man made, for man can only enhance and duplicate (which is ALWAYS flawed). Everything the human race has ever needed can be found here on Earth, from the materials that made the very computer/phone you log on here with to the foundation of your homes it is the gift of the Creator. God is real and I am not asking ANYONE that! I have been through SOOOOO much in my life, many of which were so devastating I confided in no one  but instead when I felt weary and wanted to give up  I prayed and was not only healed but able to get through it! I have been and am blessed abundantly!

The problem with humans is that we do not think for ourselves, but rather take for gospel the bulljive of some con man with a pulpit and a fancy suit who claims to speak the word of God. The TRUE word of God comes from within EACH individual, the true meaning of church is the human mind, our thoughts the congregation and the offering is our unconditional love for the Creator. We try to make God into a man, failing to remind ourselves he is far greater than we can ever be. When we ask for something we get upset and curse him when it does not come "fast enough" but when we are in danger or desperate that's when we pray and play the wishy washy role. Anything we have ever done wrong never goes unpunished so simply trying to kill your conscience by not believing won't help and anything we do not have, we do not need at the present moment so be thankful for what you do. You all say "Well I cannot see God so he must not be real!" or that "God is the product of man made myths". It does not get much more ridiculous than that. I mean you guys are no different than the religion fanatics. This evolution crap is also "word of mouth", you say there is evidence but when were YOU digging for these artifacts?

I blame the religious leaders for this cancerous spread of Atheism as they not only contradict what they preach but are too non-believers themselves who make a mockery out of those who are. How can you call yourself a preacher but demand that the congregation donate money to the "collection plate of God" in order to be his child? Which bank is God a member of for you to deposit this "offering"? And what about the Muslim Sultan who goes against the teaching of the Kuran and snorts cocaine, sleeps with love-peddlers and promotes the killing of non-believers which the Koran speaks against? or the Rastafarian "Jah-Man" who preaches the praising of Jah and ending influence of imperialism and promoting equal rights and justice but is quick to tell a woman what "her place is" and engages in politics not to mention quick to do as the bible preaches against which is to condemn someone who does not share their beliefs?  or the Catholic priests who belong to a religion that not only funded/promoted the slave trade and persecution of the Natives of the Americas and pulls the strings of the C.I.A and U.N. but covers up homosexual practices which the bible clearly condemns? These people are the main reason for this garbage and all are supposed to be serving a loving and humble Creator but do not heed to his ways and expect to be taken seriously. Luckily I have not been led astray as atheists and religion fanatics alike are, and I still believe in the Creator. . .but not religion and definitely NOT evolution.

And I do not give a damn is this thread was for Atheists I am going to rant as I please lol.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by KunleOshob(m): 6:04am On Nov 20, 2010
@MzDarkskin
Brilliant submission, absolutely spot on. I agree with you 110%.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by spikedcylinder: 6:19am On Nov 20, 2010
Lol @ people who use sleep to explain spirituality. grin grin grin cheesy
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 7:12am On Nov 20, 2010
@MzDarkskin
That is just total hogwash , look who's jumping on the western bandwagon. It is you I pity cos you take everything hook , line & sinker without even logic
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 20, 2010
ANY black person who is an atheist should be DEEPLY and UTTERLY ASHAMED of themselves. Look at how much bullschit, injustice and humiliation black people the world over have suffered and yet we as a people still bounce back and are naturally resilient; if that is not soul I do not know what you call it. The bond that we have, the gift of song and compassion is truly and obviously the work of something divine. Look at the atrocities committed by and to us from ourselves and other races and yet we still live on and before you give thanks for the gift of life and surviving the dangers we face everyday, you all jump on this western band wagon.

I have not been compelled to comment in this section for weeks but this post has done it for me. Do you seriously think this? After all the suffering and humiliation the black race has endured, not a single "divine entity" was so much as bothered  do anything about it. The black races high tolerance for suffering and injustice is not a virtue but a masochistic vice. Look around you. Nigeria is crumbling, and yet hundreds of millions troop into church suffering and smiling praying for change. That is not divine it is just sad. I am sick of black people in general and Nigerians in particular just "surviving". I want everyone to LIVE a full life not having to be thankful for just having enough to eat. If things are so pitiful that the only thing people have to be thankful for is not being dead than what does that say about black societies? Western band wagon? Do you realize that you are saying that in English(a western language), over the internet (founded in the west), utilizing a computer (invented in the West), powered by electricity(studied in the west) and you want to talk about "jumping on this western band wagon"? I am just saying.

The air you breathe, the voice we call conscience, the water, the animals and life itself cannot be and is not man made, for man can only enhance and duplicate (which is ALWAYS flawed). Everything the human race has ever needed can be found here on Earth, from the materials that made the very computer/phone you log on here with to the foundation of your homes it is the gift of the Creator. God is real and I am not asking ANYONE that! I have been through SOOOOO much in my life, many of which were so devastating I confided in no one  but instead when I felt weary and wanted to give up  I prayed and was not only healed but able to get through it! I have been and am blessed abundantly!

No air we breath is not a miracle. Of course everything mankind needs is found on Earth. We are from Earth. However, when we look beyond Earth it is clear to see that not everything man needs is found on Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto and the vast majority of the UNIVERSE. No technology is not miracle. Mankind did the hard work of making computers. Mankind did the hard work of making phones. Mankind did the painstaking work of research, study and observation. If there is one good thing to come out of western society it is the dedication to the pursuit of scientific inquiry and innovation. Alas, that is the very thing Africans need desperately and yet refuse to adopt. This is what is wrong with black people. We do not truly value knowledge nor pursue it with rigor. Can you imagine if all that money used to pay tithes, build churches, and send out missionaries were used to construct learning centers and educate those who seek knowledge and work with it. From these places even mere individuals can come to know the world around them, each other, and most importantly themselves. Africa,  no the WORLD would never be the same again. But no, we just continue to build more churches/mosque/temples hoping things will be different.

Anything we have ever done wrong never goes unpunished so simply trying to kill your conscience by not believing won't help and anything we do not have, we do not need at the present moment so be thankful for what you do. You all say "Well I cannot see God so he must not be real!" or that "God is the product of man made myths". It does not get much more ridiculous than that. I mean you guys are no different than the religion fanatics. This evolution crap is also "word of mouth", you say there is evidence but when were YOU digging for these artifacts?

I will do you one better. (I and Pastor AIO) opened a thread asking people to DEFINE what a God even is? People could not manage without tripping over themselves in, self contradiction, nonsense, and utter vacuity. People could not even tell me what it IS they believe and yet repeated that they believed in it. That is something to truly beyond astonishing. Equivocating religion with science while regularly making use of it is disingenuous. If you disagree with the results of scientific inquiry either contest the evidence or by all means stop using the products of it. The phone,internet, computer are not manna from heaven. They are manufactured technologies from good old planet Earth(some of which incorporate the Biological Evolutionary model I might add).   

I blame the religious leaders for this cancerous spread of Atheism as they not only contradict what they preach but are too non-believers themselves who make a mockery out of those who are. How can you call yourself a preacher but demand that the congregation donate money to the "collection plate of God" in order to be his child? Which bank is God a member of for you to deposit this "offering"? And what about the Muslim Sultan who goes against the teaching of the Kuran and snorts cocaine, sleeps with love-peddlers and promotes the killing of non-believers which the Koran speaks against? or the Rastafarian "Jah-Man" who preaches the praising of Jah and ending influence of imperialism and promoting equal rights and justice but is quick to tell a woman what "her place is" and engages in politics not to mention quick to do as the bible preaches against which is to condemn someone who does not share their beliefs?  or the Catholic priests who belong to a religion that not only funded/promoted the slave trade and persecution of the Natives of the Americas and pulls the strings of the C.I.A and U.N. but covers up homosexual practices which the bible clearly condemns? These people are the main reason for this garbage and all are supposed to be serving a loving and humble Creator but do not heed to his ways and expect to be taken seriously. Luckily I have not been led astray as atheists and religion fanatics alike are, and I still believe in the Creator. . .but not religion and definitely NOT evolution.

And I do not give a damn is this thread was for Atheists I am going to rant as I please lol.

I blame religious leaders too. At some point saying the same thing over and over again and still being obviously wrong is finally starting to have an effect on Nigerians with our high tolerance for injustice, dysfunction, and corruption. But like you said, it also helps that they are some of the despicable people in the world. No the CIA is not a tool of the Catholic church. Little girls were also victims of the molestations, Africans were just as much a part of the slave trade as anyone. Your particular disdain for evolution is,  peculiar.

P.S
I apologize if I come off confrontational as I technically do not consider myself an atheist persè. However telling people that they out to be Ashamed of themselves indicates that you do not take the ideas they have thought seriously about well,  seriously. This would be fine if you had not chosen comment about it. The fact that you did in this way is to me is just repugnant.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 20, 2010
I've really laughed my a r s e off,

I don't think there's much difference between me and atheists, i was born into a family of free thinkers, though started attending church service later, based on the experience i've had and insights, i can say I believe in the existence of the godhead, all truth bringers came from him, but never started a religion, i beleive in the laws of karma and its karmaic returns, i share so many thoughts of the atheist. I prefer to be an atheist than belong to any religion, though at the moment i'm basically religionless.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by profdee(m): 12:43pm On Nov 20, 2010
Lord, Intervene.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by UyiIredia(m): 12:44pm On Nov 20, 2010
i'm tripping for MsDarkSkinz >>> not in the 'normal' way >>> i like her mental outlook
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by trooperz(m): 3:02am On Nov 21, 2010
@Mzdarkskinlady is an Atheist (the highest degree) wink

LETS USE 'REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY'

WHAT IF AFRICA CONQUERED/ COLONIZED EUROPE? PERHAPS, THE WESTERN WORLD WOULD HAVE

LANGUAGES LIKE

"SWAHILI, YORUBA, LINGALA, BANTU, BERBER, HAUSA, ZULU, KINYARWANDA- KIRUNDI, AMHARIC, SHONA, BAMBARA, TWI, IBO, FULA, CHICHEWA, XHOSA,

TIGRINYA, LUO, GBE, TSHILUBA, WOLOF, GIKUYU, MORE, SOTHO, LUHYA, TSWANA, KANURI, UMBUNDU. (colonized mind's never heard of SOME these, ONLY

ENGLISH, FRENCH ETC.).

PERHAPS WE WOULD HAVE ENFORCED AFRICAN GODS INTO THE EUROPEAN CONCIOUSNESS e.g.

ORUNMILA, ALATANGANA, ABASI, ASTER, IBINI UKPABI, AMADIOHA, BOMAZI, XAMABA, MULUNGU, NGAI, SHAKPANA, ACHIMI, ADROA, ANANSI, OGBUNABALI,

UNMBOTTE, WAAQ, CAGN, CGHENE, BREKYIRIHUNUADE, SHANGO

PERHAPS, WE IMPOSED A NEW IDENTITY ON THEM. IMAGINE THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND NAMED "QUEEN CHIAMAKA OR QUEEN ABOSEDE OR QUEEN FOLASHADE,

QUEEN EKAETTE, QUEEN OFONIME.

As our people say, the difference between plantain chips and kpekere na packaging, These guys package the product well and the gullible Africans bought it at a premium.

Throughout history, superior cultures have conquered "inferior" ones and imposed their ideologies on them. How else can they remain control.

The British did it in Africa, they gave our ancestors (liquor) jack daniels wink, mirrors and gunpowder, it was a successful takeover. The Spanish brutally conquered

the Aztecs.

Our Ancestors were physically enslaved in cuffs and shackles. Enslavement in our time is psychological. Through "Emperor Jesus" cool.

For more information, please before you die in this lifetime, visit the British Museum. Oyinbo buru! kiss
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by InkedNerd(f): 8:13am On Nov 22, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

ANY black person who is an atheist should be DEEPLY and UTTERLY ASHAMED of themselves. Look at how much bullschit, injustice and humiliation black people the world over have suffered and yet we as a people still bounce back and are naturally resilient; if that is not soul I do not know what you call it. The bond that we have, the gift of song and compassion is truly and obviously the work of something divine. Look at the atrocities committed by and to us from ourselves and other races and yet we still live on and before you give thanks for the gift of life and surviving the dangers we face everyday, you all jump on this western band wagon. The air you breathe, the voice we call conscience, the water, the animals and life itself cannot be and is not man made, for man can only enhance and duplicate (which is ALWAYS flawed). Everything the human race has ever needed can be found here on Earth, from the materials that made the very computer/phone you log on here with to the foundation of your homes it is the gift of the Creator. God is real and I am not asking ANYONE that! I have been through SOOOOO much in my life, many of which were so devastating I confided in no one but instead when I felt weary and wanted to give up I prayed and was not only healed but able to get through it! I have been and am blessed abundantly!

The problem with humans is that we do not think for ourselves, but rather take for gospel the bulljive of some con man with a pulpit and a fancy suit who claims to speak the word of God. The TRUE word of God comes from within EACH individual, the true meaning of church is the human mind, our thoughts the congregation and the offering is our unconditional love for the Creator. We try to make God into a man, failing to remind ourselves he is far greater than we can ever be. When we ask for something we get upset and curse him when it does not come "fast enough" but when we are in danger or desperate that's when we pray and play the wishy washy role. Anything we have ever done wrong never goes unpunished so simply trying to kill your conscience by not believing won't help and anything we do not have, we do not need at the present moment so be thankful for what you do. You all say "Well I cannot see God so he must not be real!" or that "God is the product of man made myths". It does not get much more ridiculous than that. I mean you guys are no different than the religion fanatics. This evolution crap is also "word of mouth", you say there is evidence but when were YOU digging for these artifacts?

I blame the religious leaders for this cancerous spread of Atheism as they not only contradict what they preach but are too non-believers themselves who make a mockery out of those who are. How can you call yourself a preacher but demand that the congregation donate money to the "collection plate of God" in order to be his child? Which bank is God a member of for you to deposit this "offering"? And what about the Muslim Sultan who goes against the teaching of the Kuran and snorts cocaine, sleeps with love-peddlers and promotes the killing of non-believers which the Koran speaks against? or the Rastafarian "Jah-Man" who preaches the praising of Jah and ending influence of imperialism and promoting equal rights and justice but is quick to tell a woman what "her place is" and engages in politics not to mention quick to do as the bible preaches against which is to condemn someone who does not share their beliefs? or the Catholic priests who belong to a religion that not only funded/promoted the slave trade and persecution of the Natives of the Americas and pulls the strings of the C.I.A and U.N. but covers up homosexual practices which the bible clearly condemns? These people are the main reason for this garbage and all are supposed to be serving a loving and humble Creator but do not heed to his ways and expect to be taken seriously. Luckily I have not been led astray as atheists and religion fanatics alike are, and I still believe in the Creator. . .but not religion and definitely NOT evolution.

Smh @ rant.

Idehn:

I have not been compelled to comment in this section for weeks but this post has done it for me. Do you seriously think this? After all the suffering and humiliation the black race has endured, not a single "divine entity" was so much as bothered do anything about it. The black races high tolerance for suffering and injustice is not a virtue but a masochistic vice. Look around you. Nigeria is crumbling, and yet hundreds of millions troop into church suffering and smiling praying for change. That is not divine it is just sad. I am sick of black people in general and Nigerians in particular just "surviving". I want everyone to LIVE a full life not having to be thankful for just having enough to eat. If things are so pitiful that the only thing people have to be thankful for is not being dead than what does that say about black societies? Western band wagon? Do you realize that you are saying that in English(a western language), over the internet (founded in the west), utilizing a computer (invented in the West), powered by electricity(studied in the west) and you want to talk about "jumping on this western band wagon"? I am just saying.

P.S
I apologize if I come off confrontational as I technically do not consider myself an atheist persè. However telling people that they out to be Ashamed of themselves indicates that you do not take the ideas they have thought seriously about well, seriously. This would be fine if you had not chosen comment about it. The fact that you did in this way is to me is just repugnant.

Well said.

trooperz:

@Mzdarkskinlady is an Atheist (the highest degree) wink

LETS USE 'REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY'

WHAT IF AFRICA CONQUERED/ COLONIZED EUROPE? PERHAPS, THE WESTERN WORLD WOULD HAVE

LANGUAGES LIKE

"SWAHILI, YORUBA, LINGALA, BANTU, BERBER, HAUSA, ZULU, KINYARWANDA- KIRUNDI, AMHARIC, SHONA, BAMBARA, TWI, IBO, FULA, CHICHEWA, XHOSA,

TIGRINYA, LUO, GBE, TSHILUBA, WOLOF, GIKUYU, MORE, SOTHO, LUHYA, TSWANA, KANURI, UMBUNDU. (colonized mind's never heard of SOME these, ONLY

ENGLISH, FRENCH ETC.).

PERHAPS WE WOULD HAVE ENFORCED AFRICAN GODS INTO THE EUROPEAN CONCIOUSNESS e.g.

ORUNMILA, ALATANGANA, ABASI, ASTER, IBINI UKPABI, AMADIOHA, BOMAZI, XAMABA, MULUNGU, NGAI, SHAKPANA, ACHIMI, ADROA, ANANSI, OGBUNABALI,

UNMBOTTE, WAAQ, CAGN, CGHENE, BREKYIRIHUNUADE, SHANGO

PERHAPS, WE IMPOSED A NEW IDENTITY ON THEM. IMAGINE THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND NAMED "QUEEN CHIAMAKA OR QUEEN ABOSEDE OR QUEEN FOLASHADE,

QUEEN EKAETTE, QUEEN OFONIME.

As our people say, the difference between plantain chips and kpekere na packaging, These guys package the product well and the gullible Africans bought it at a premium.

Throughout history, superior cultures have conquered "inferior" ones and imposed their ideologies on them. How else can they remain control.

The British did it in Africa, they gave our ancestors (liquor) jack daniels wink, mirrors and gunpowder, it was a successful takeover. The Spanish brutally conquered

the Aztecs.

Our Ancestors were physically enslaved in cuffs and shackles. Enslavement in our time is psychological. Through "Emperor Jesus" cool.

For more information, please before you die in this lifetime, visit the British Museum. Oyinbo buru! kiss

Lmao grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by nferyn(m): 10:19pm On Nov 23, 2010
I always was, as far as I know

atheist ?
see above

I don't think you can ever choose to believe something. belief is a consequence of exposure to information and the social context in which it is received.

yes, for as long as I lived at least. My parents are ex-catholic.

which religion do you particular find repugnant?
Religions that suppress or actively avoid free inquiry

wanted to be religious -
Unitarian Universalism or maybe the original Budhism

what are you views on :

death
Inevitable. The end of existence.

pre/post marital sex
Ok, as long as it is between 2 consenting adults and no emotional deceit is involved.

stealing
wrong (in most cases)

lying
depends, in most cases to be avoided

murder

wrong

afterlife
death

many views on the above subjects are influenced by religion.
unfortunately, they are, indeed.

without religious injunctions the actions become amoral.
and why would that be?
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by mrmayor(m): 11:02pm On Nov 23, 2010
@MsDarkskin,

Any black person who does not believe in African Gods like Sango, Amadioha, Shimingi must really swimming in an ocean of SELF HATE.

@Nferyn,

Wow, where have you been? wink Good to see you back on Nairaland. How's the family; bet your twins ( I think you have twins) must have all grown up. smiley Best regards to your wife and children. Welcome back again grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by nferyn(m): 12:02am On Nov 25, 2010
mrmayor:

@Nferyn,

Wow, where have you been? wink
Been busy (haven't we all ;-))

mrmayor:

Good to see you back on Nairaland. How's the family; bet your twins ( I think you have twins) must have all grown up. smiley Best regards to your wife and children. Welcome back again grin
Thanks for the re-welcome. Everything's fine in our family. We didn't have twins before, but now we do. Our house is becoming too small with all the children

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FAKE MIRACLES!! Reverend Father Modestus Chiedozie Chilaka – Watch Video / Election Of Church Leaders By Voting: Is It Biblical? / How Many Children Did King Solomon Have?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 178
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.