Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,219 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

A Critics Take On The Land Borders Closure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Critics Take On The Land Borders Closure (267 Views)

Beyond Our Land Borders Closure / The Real Politics Behind Borders Closure In Nigeria / I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Critics Take On The Land Borders Closure by EmekaMD(m): 3:39am On Nov 15, 2019
I've been mostly a critic of this administration, and i believe my critics has been for the right reasons.

But on the land borders closure: i stand with the Buhari administration on this.

My reasons..

You'll agree with me that fake and substandard (mostly contraband ) products make their ways into the country mostly through the porous land borders. Were still, these products are produced outside of Africa and the import taxes are collected by the neighboring countries yet they are sold in Nigeria.

Secondly .. activities of the Fulani marauders and murderers have either abated or disappeared since this land borders closure. You may want to contend this but my observation seems mostly accurate.

Thirdly.. very few Nigerians (mostly corrupt border officials and the businessmen who ply ply these borders) are mostly the people complaining . Average Nigerians may be having it hard for now too (cos of high market prices), but I'm positive that the "demand and supply" natural market policies would evntually effect some positive changes when local production is driven high as a result of this closure.

But i won't end without shaking some tables.

How can Buhari justify border closures when he himself is still patronizing foreign hospitals with all the resources at his disposal ?. This is despite promising to end medical tourism. This is his 5th year (is he still blaming Jonathan for not being able to build a hospital at least for himself and household?)

How about the national assembly budgeting billions for cars manufactured outside Nigeria: companies that dont pay tax to Nigeria.
Even if they dont wanna buy from Innoson, how about they buy from locally assembling plants in Nigeria? At least those ones would pay taxes to our us?

These things tire me i swear.
Re: A Critics Take On The Land Borders Closure by Badb0y4lyf(m): 6:28am On Nov 15, 2019
Medical tourism should be addressed if you are poor or average and have a medical condition omo na die be that ooh that why you see most artist begging when Dey become sick no affordable health care
Re: A Critics Take On The Land Borders Closure by Xisnin(m): 7:47am On Nov 15, 2019
EmekaMD:
I've been mostly a critic of this administration, and i believe my critics has been for the right reasons.

But on the land borders closure: i stand with the Buhari administration on this.
I have often wondered what it means to be a critics in Nigeria.
But all I see are opportunistic attacks, there is hardly any criticism based on principles.

You'll agree with me that fake and substandard (mostly contraband ) products make their ways into the country mostly through the porous land borders. Were still, these products are produced outside of Africa and the import taxes are collected by the neighboring countries yet they are sold in Nigeria.
No.
The borders are mostly used to smuggle food items, not fake industrial products.
Fake products, whether drugs or electronics come in through the seaport.
I know how easy it is to bring in any product that is not banned through the sea.
Anyone familiar with importing already knows this.

Secondly .. activities of the Fulani marauders and murderers have either abated or disappeared since this land borders closure. You may want to contend this but my observation seems mostly accurate.
This is totally wrong.
At the height of the Fulani attacks, were you or any of your family members a victim?
The answer is no.
Then why do you attempt to make light the problems of people you don't even know?

The Fulani brazen attacks ended with 2019 election.
However, bandits have not relented in their attacks and kidnappings.
Abductions occur daily on the Abuja-Kaduna expressway and a lot of people
have turned to the trains for security.
It is sheer arrogance to stay in Lagos or Anambra while telling victims up north that
their problems is solved.

Thirdly.. very few Nigerians (mostly corrupt border officials and the businessmen who ply ply these borders) are mostly the people complaining . Average Nigerians may be having it hard for now too (cos of high market prices), but I'm positive that the "demand and supply" natural market policies would evntually effect some positive changes when local production is driven high as a result of this closure.
Very few Nigerians?
Really?
When exactly did you take such survey?
It is funny how people like you complain about the government while having a more wicked
mindset towards your fellow citizens.

Do you really think local government workers who earns 12 to 15k are happy that foodstuff prices have gone up?
Are the market women themselves happy that their profit margin has shrunk?
Who exactly are the majority non-corrupt Nigerian who are happy with the border closure?

Any government which prioritize the welfare of an insignificant percentage of the populace(rice and poultry
farmers) over the majority is pure evil.

Buhari would eventually open the border, one way or another.
He has not learned that the economy is not the army that you can order around.
I will be here when those who support the border closure will turnaround to praise him
for being a "listening" president.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Governor Yahaya Bello,senator Elisha Abbo & Chairman Fuad Atanda-lawal / Those Who Accuse Me Of Praying For Election Victory Of Kogi Governor Should Repe / We Knew Kogi, Bayelsa Elections Would Be Violent — IGP Adamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.