Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,331 members, 7,819,137 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service (1111 Views)

FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service, Telecommunication Companies Protest / Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) / Instagram, Facebook And Whatsapp Users Fume As Services Go Down Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by zakim(m): 5:17am On Nov 15, 2019
The telecom operators (Telcos) have said the directive by the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy that automatic voicemail service be deactivated on existing phone lines is “unclear to the industry.” Dr Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami had on Thursday ordered the telecom operators to deactivate automatic voicemail service on all existing mobile lines in the country.

Dr Pantami said telcos were exploiting the consumers financially by putting them automatically on voicemail service instead of making it optional. e A statement by the minister’s spokesperson, Uwa Suleiman, quoted him as saying;

‘’The attention of the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, has been drawn to the latest trend of financial exploitation by Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) in the country, through the automatic activation of the Voicemail Service on their platforms. Based on recent reports reaching the office, the practice has gained momentum in recent times. “The Voicemail service should be accessed at the discretion of the subscriber and not by default. The Honourable Minister finds it worrisome and totally unacceptable, that telecoms subscribers incur financial charges, for a service they are compelled to use by default.

“Voicemail is not a popular service among mobile phone users in Nigeria, coupled with the language challenge among rural dwellers, who mostly do not understand the language deployed by these networks. “In the light of this, Dr Pantami has issued a broad policy directive to the sector regulator, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), to immediately ensure that issues regarding automatic voicemails are addressed on all existing phone lines and the subscribers, given the option of accessing the service via an activation code.

“It is our collective responsibility to ensure that the rights of consumers are protected, while providing a conducive business environment for Mobile Network Operators (MNOs), in line with global best practice.’’ But speaking with Daily Trust via phone call, the Chairman of Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), Engr. Gbenga Adebayo said the voicemail issue was a regulatory issue and should not concern the minister.

“The directive is unclear to us. The issue is a regulatory one and we don’t know why he should issue a directive. It is an issue NCC is capable of handling’’, Engr Adebayo said.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/telcos-fume-as-fg-orders-stoppage-of-voicemail-service.html
Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by greenguy: 5:28am On Nov 15, 2019
This is apt. Voice Mail is another scam in Nigeria. We're not ready for it. They can rather simplify and popularise it, by recording the owner of the phone first. They won't want that because they're not making money on it.

3 Likes

Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by aolawale025: 5:44am On Nov 15, 2019
It's unclear to me as well
Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by wristbangle: 5:58am On Nov 15, 2019
Better late than never. I remembered how this useless service consumed my airtime meant for data subscription last week when I called a number unreachable forgetting it was dubiously activated on my line. I even thought the person switch on the phone during this course not knowing voicemail picked my call and airtime went from N2k to N1.6k. MTN is majorly guilty of this. Wicked network

1 Like

Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by juvewalex(m): 6:17am On Nov 15, 2019
Telcos with their dubious way won't agree to this, when a phone number is not reachable, why must there be an automatic tone to record nonsense without the person's consent.

1 Like

Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by edoairways: 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
And what is this doing in politic section ?
Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by adefemi007(m): 6:37am On Nov 15, 2019
Good development
Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by OlujobaSamuel: 6:47am On Nov 15, 2019
Abegi, deactivate it, we don't use voicemail in Nigeria. When we no even trust ATM machine not to dispense fake or inaccurate notes, I go trust one machine to deliver my msg, people don't even know or try to check if they have a voicemail message.
Dial number, hold phone for hand waiting make person pick up, as you see sign of pick up, place am for ear, na voicemail you dey hear.
Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by wiseone28: 6:47am On Nov 15, 2019
I support this..
Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by yomalex(m): 7:10am On Nov 15, 2019
Abi o
Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by nan1: 7:47am On Nov 15, 2019
Good one thieves when you call a number that is either busy or not reachable next thing is voicemail fiam all your money gone
Re: Telcos Fume As FG Orders Stoppage Of Voicemail Service by SocialJustice: 8:12am On Nov 15, 2019
aolawale025:
It's unclear to me as well
How?

(1) (Reply)

Nokia 6.2, 7.2 , 9 Pureview, Nokia X71 Thread / Iphone 8 Plus 64gb Chip Unlock For 110k / 40 Best Android Smartwatch On Jumia With Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.