Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,879 members, 7,824,673 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

- - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / - (1049 Views)

If You Haven't Entered Plane At 40, Life Has Passed You - Nigerian Man / How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling / Pictures Of Awka Anambra State Capital That You Haven't Seen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

- by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 18, 2019
-
Re: - by TooMuchStuff: 9:46am On Nov 18, 2019
Come with plenty dollars incase Ransome is needed by kidnappers

6 Likes

Re: - by Roon9(m): 9:48am On Nov 18, 2019
The harmattan
Naija police
Lagos Agberos
The way girls wee be rushing you grin
Baba you will be over shocked!

3 Likes

Re: - by Roon9(m): 9:48am On Nov 18, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
Come with plenty dollars incase Ransome is needed by kidnappers

Not funny bro

2 Likes

Re: - by donbachi(m): 9:49am On Nov 18, 2019
come first...no be everything dem dey discuss for nairaland.

1 Like

Re: - by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 18, 2019
-

1 Like

Re: - by metformin(m): 10:09am On Nov 18, 2019
[quote author=BeachTime post=84134368]

Anything different from what's on Nairaland?

two things that bother me is the kidnapping and armed robbery [my bro, keep everything simple, don't come and be spreading or throw dollars around.]
Re: - by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 18, 2019
-

1 Like

Re: - by eneojoedu(m): 10:14am On Nov 18, 2019
just come, everybody is busy with his or her own problems even the government too. we are all in a hurry to God knows where. nobody go get your time except ''FARM TOOLS'' ...and please be smart, so they won't run u local. I would have asked you to visit the confluence city but our roads no good. stop for Abuja.
Re: - by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 18, 2019
-
Re: - by obiekunie2: 10:27am On Nov 18, 2019
Roon9:

Not funny bro

but very true.

2 Likes

Re: - by Spanishmilf(m): 10:31am On Nov 18, 2019
BeachTime:
I'm Nigerian (mixed race white/black) but was born and raised in the US. I have visited Nigeria twice ,once when i was 2 and then 9. I lived in Nigeria for 4 years and then left at 13 yrs old (2006). Everything I currently know about Nigeria is through online like nairaland and youtube videos ,but not sure how close to reality that is . I'm itching to visit very soon,and perhaps stay for a few months or years . Will there be culture shock? What should I expect? Is my outlook unrealistic? So many questions running through my mind as I make plans .
There are a few things I would like to do in reminiscence of my childhood , like play in the rain ,eat afang and fufu ,ewa ogoin(a beans food in lagos ,ekpang nkuko(calabar food) ,Okra soup ,egusi soup,Ugba (igbo food) ,and a host of other stuffs too personal to mention here .
I've never visited Abuja. Would like to visit Idanre Hills (Olumo rock )
You can come to Nigeria
Nut I will like you to stay away from these state
Kaduna
Mano
Borneo
Lagos

City that will make u feel at home
Ibadan
Abuja
Re: - by obiekunie2: 10:31am On Nov 18, 2019
BeachTime:
I want a very simple and normal experience, and that's one of the reasons I'm visiting. And I don't drink,smoke or party.

i really wish i can confidently tell you to come - but bro there are too many dangers out here. too many!

we that are surviving here developed a very tough shell from years of being in this hell hole.

stay safe bro - just know that even the person you think is your friend can 'coddedly' set you up.

3 Likes

Re: - by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 18, 2019
-

1 Like

Re: - by eneojoedu(m): 11:20am On Nov 18, 2019
BeachTime:
where's confluence city?
lokoja. where the rivers Niger and benue met(that Y shape on the map of Nigeria. roughly 2hours from Abuja. there is also mount Patti where lord lugards rest house is located and where Flora Shaw his girlfriend looked over the Niger and coined the name Nigeria (Niger Area). lots of colonial museums, cemetery, World War cenotaph etc are located in Lokoja.
Re: - by ednut1(m): 11:25am On Nov 18, 2019
BeachTime:
My dad visits every year , why hasn't he been kidnapped? I'm getting mixed reports . Why would I be kidnapped when i'm living a normal life and not driving expensive cars and showing off ?
you dad can easily be blend as he is black. For you that is mixed raced they may see u as an expat or rich Lebanese. If u wanna come to 9ja just stay for lekki axis
Re: - by metformin(m): 11:33am On Nov 18, 2019
Don't mind those discouraging ya, from visiting. There a lot of foreigners visiting Nigeria on daily basis also. My American friend will visit me next month. some Nigerians will make the country to look as if Nigeria is a kidnapping Dem.

1 Like

Re: - by eneojoedu(m): 11:38am On Nov 18, 2019
forget all these people saying you will be kidnapped. nobody will kidnap you just because you are mixed race.. just don't show off unnecessarily, you are safe. the only thing is that people can inflate price and bill u out of proportion once they notice you are a stranger... never forget this phrase ''HOW MUCH LAST '' OR ''LAST PRICE NKO'' it will help. note that whatever price u get first on the street, it is possible to beat it down by 30 percent.

2 Likes

Re: - by Mizwisdom(f): 11:51am On Nov 18, 2019
Roon9:

Not funny bro

Don't mind them. Nobody will kidnap you, there are many millionaires in Nigeria moving to and fro yet they haveht been kidnapped. Ask yourself how many cases of kidnapping do you hear in Lekki, Ikoyi, VI, Maitama, Aso koro, Ikeja and many more places where affluent people and foreigners live. When you return you will see a lot of foreigners especially Asians moving up and down as if they're one of us some even use Okada not even the more organized ones, nobody disturb them much less you who are partly black. Take solace in daddy Freeze, Ramsey Noah and co they're also mixed with freedom here and no kidnappers

You will enjoy this festive period, there are lots of events going on this season plus cool harmattan breeze

Don't go mixing with rugged people they will deceive you and take your money rather stay in places where you mix with rich and affluent people their mindset is different and they are less likely to scam you.

Eat all the delicacies and spicy foods you can find. If you tell people "you're from the abroad" grin you will get multiple marriage proposals from people who will assume that you are wealthy. Good luck grin

Good luck

2 Likes

Re: - by Mizwisdom(f): 11:56am On Nov 18, 2019
BeachTime:

Anything different from what's on Nairaland?

Two things that bother me is the kidnapping and armed robbery . I feel insecure knowing how porous the Nigeria society is . There's no ID database ,cameras on roads and public spaces ,and it's easy to get away with murder in Nigeria.

Are you the only one coming into Nigeria? grin when you come you'll see foreigners living down here. Don't attract nonsense to yourself by unnecessary fear
Re: - by TheStarsAlign: 12:08pm On Nov 18, 2019
Statistics shows one is more likely to get shot in the US and stabbed in the UK than Nigeria so it's not so gloomy.

So should you eventually decide to visit, worry not much as long as you're not loud/lavish. As a mulatto, you may notice more eyes (its only natural).

A few dont's.
1. Don't hang out late nights (if possible)
2. Dont go to places you're not familiar with alone.
3. Don't come and stay for long. Few months should do. The longer you stay, the more you're likely gon get pissed.
4. If you decide to visit beaches, parks etc go in group (probably with fam) but never alone.
5. Don't trust 100% but be calm/diplomatic about it.
6. Don't get carried away if you start getting lots of love/favour. Give out as much as possible also.
7. Avoid areas/states notorious for kidnapping/bombings etc. (Sorry I can't mention.)
8. Stay out of open political debates/arguement, the clime is charged and lots of people are intolerable nowadays.

...and you'll be just fine.

1 Like

Re: - by Thecvbankng: 2:13pm On Nov 18, 2019
We design, edit and rewrite a high impact resume that will get you noticed by the HR department of your favorite company. You will never get a second chance to make a first impression; it is important to get it right the first with an impressive resume and cover letter. This is an opportunity to stand out from the crowd, make the right first impression and maximize your chances of reaching the top 5% of the candidate list.

See some testimonies from our previous clients in our signature below and also reach out to us via the contact in the signature too.
Re: - by Beautyaddy: 2:23pm On Nov 18, 2019
BeachTime:
My dad visits every year , why hasn't he been kidnapped? I'm getting mixed reports . Why would I be kidnapped when i'm living a normal life and not driving expensive cars and showing off ?

You seemed to have answered some of your questions here.

You still have a dad that visits Nigeria every year.

Why don't you take the time to come with him next time he visits Nigeria...that might be a starting way to get use to how things are run in Nigeria.
Re: - by STENON(f): 2:32pm On Nov 18, 2019
Take all vaccines from US before entering Naija
Re: - by Spanishmilf(m): 2:57pm On Nov 18, 2019
STENON:
Take all vaccines from US before entering Naija
grin
Re: - by STENON(f): 3:01pm On Nov 18, 2019

(1) (Reply)

See The Driverless Railway Line That Has Conveyed Over 1.5B Riders In 10 Years / Relocation To Canada / Nairalander Travels Across West Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.