Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,304 members, 7,815,551 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? (16239 Views)

Wike Campaigns For Obaseki, Says "Today Is The End Of Godfatherism In Edo" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by nairavsdollars(f): 10:11am On Nov 19, 2019
Temidayo Akinsuyi

"I am not the state; I am only one out of about four million Edo people. So, his (Obaseki’s) obligation and loyalty should be to the people of Edo State. The oath of office he is going to subscribe to says he will defend the constitution of Nigeria, he will do everything to uplift the quality of life of Edo people. Nothing in his oath of office will include, ‘I shall not betray my predecessor’, because I have no interest to be betrayed.”– Adams Oshiomhole, October 25, 2016.

The above was the response given by Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, former governor of Edo state when journalists enquired from him if he is worried about being betrayed by Godwin Obaseki, the man he assiduously worked to install as his successor in Edo state.

However, recent developments in the state has belied Oshiomhole’s claims as he feels betrayed and has determined in his heart to thwart the second term ambition of Obaseki using his influence as the national chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Speaking on his grouse with Obaseki in a recent interview, Oshiomhole claimed that the governor sacked the only commissioner he nominated into his cabinet. He said the irony was that Obaseki took the drastic action after a reconciliatory meeting which was attended by some APC stalwarts including Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State.

“We have no argument over money or appointment… In the meeting we held with four governors, including Governor Bagudu, I asked the governor, how many commissioners I nominated into his cabinet. He agreed that I only nominated one person out of more than 20 commissioners.

“Not many Nigerians will believe that because for me I was out of government and I have convinced myself that the day I step out of government, that is it. After that first meeting, the governor decided to remove that one commissioner along with seven others. But that is not my business.”

Oshiomhole also accused Obaseki of abandoning some of his projects. He said, “The governor can never tell you that I have interfered in his choice of projects and so on. The only thing I feel a bit worried about is that some of the projects we started together have been abandoned. There is no way to solve disagreements without talking to the aggrieved parties”.

However, responding to Oshiomhole’s claim, Obaseki who spoke through his Chief of Staff, Taiwo Akerele, denied the claims that he did not continue with his predecessor’s projects and policies.

Akerele said Governor Obaseki has focused on good policies on the education sector, infrastructure development, which were not in the plans of the Adams Oshiomhole administration.

“There are certain things that were bad in the previous government that we cannot continue. The good ones we will continue. They should leave the governor to work and allow him to be the leader of the party in the state”.

Obaseki also gave a clue into what may have been the genesis of his problems with the national chairman and his loyalists. While speaking at the graduation of teachers under the Edo Supporting Teachers to Achieve Results (Edo STAR), an arm of the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (Edo-BEST) programme, he vowed not to share funds meant for development to greedy individuals trying to blackmail the government.

He also stressed that his party, the APC was fully in support of his administration, and he was not standing alone in his decision to pursue sustainable development.

He said: “I assure you that my party is behind me; I am not standing on my own. So ignore and forget reports by people who want me to give them money that should be used to train our teachers, provide for our children and develop the state. I will never give our people’s money to them.

“We do not have all the money in Edo, but whatever we have – no matter how little – we will prioritise education and healthcare. What is important to us are things that affect the ordinary Edo citizen. Those are the things the APC and I stand for”.

On the issue of the House of Assembly crisis, where 14 lawmakers-elect loyal to Oshiomhole have stayed in Abuja, Obaseki said the lawmakers should come to the Assembly and be inaugurated like their colleagues who have been sitting in the chamber.

“I am not stopping them from being inaugurated. I have issued the proclamation and their colleagues who showed up have since been inaugurated and carrying on with their legislative duties,”

Speaking in an interview with our correspondent, Chief Charles Idahosa, a former Commissioner for Information in Edo state and APC chieftain said Oshiomhole’s grouse with Obaseki is borne out of envy. While calling on him to stop distracting the governor, he also warned against attempt to deny the governor a second term saying doing so will lead to the end of APC in the state.

“I have said a lot on this matter and I don’t want to be sounding like a broken record. But I want to assure you that nobody can stop Obaseki from doing his two terms. I am behind him morning, night and day. Uhunmwonde people are behind him”.

“Oshiomhole said Obaseki is not carrying people along, I don’t know what he meant by that but I just discovered that this whole thing will not end now. If two friends are quarreling and you cannot settle the quarrel, there must be something behind it that nobody can talk about and that is envy and jealousy”.

“There are no two ways two friends can come and during quarrel and one will say I am jealous, I am envious of him, nobody will say so; what is happening is that Oshiomhole is envious and jealous of Obaseki’s achievements, there is no way he is going to come out boldly to say that is why they are quarrelling”.

“Oshiomhole was governor here for eight years nobody challenged him. The ones that tried it, he messed them up thoroughly. He brought Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia and messed him up; he brought Chief John Odigie-Oyegun and messed him up”.

When asked the way forward out of the crisis, Anselm Ojezua, the state chairman of the APC in Edo state said the only solution is for Oshiomhole to stop interfering in the party’s affairs and allow Obaseki to govern peacefully.

“The only solution is that, let Oshiomhole just leave Edo State APC to run itself. He has a huge job in Abuja as the national chairman of the party. With all that is going on in the party nationwide, he needs more than 24 hours to do his job. So, why is he concerning himself with what we used in making stew in Benin City? Why should he worry himself with our affairs, trying to interfere in every issue?” Ojezua asked.

However, Kassim Afegbua, a former Commissioner for Information in the state said the governor was wrong by dismissing and alienating those who worked for his victory.

According to him “All those people that Obaseki calls thugs and touts today were all foot soldiers during the period. Godwin Obaseki worshipped them, visited their homes to solicit for their support, and in return they too helped in mobilisation and canvassing for votes”.

“No sooner he won than he immediately abandoned them. Who does that? No matter what, you need to promote politics of inclusion rather than exclusion. There is every role for the good, the bad and the ugly in the political game”.

For Paul Ohonbamu, the Edo state Commissioner for Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Oshiomhole’s desire to be in charge of affairs of the state after leaving office as governor is what is largely responsible for the crisis.

“The national chairman of APC, Adams Oshiomhole has a dominating posture when he was governor of Edo state. He was a colossus and all other men merely peeped under his huge feet to find themselves dishonourable graves”.

““Oshiomhole was a governor maximally. But now here is a new governor in Edo that Oshiomhole does not want. Despite leaving office as governor and Governor Obaseki in charge as the number one citizen of Edo, Oshiomhole wants that dominance to continue” .

“Oshiomhole must realise that he is no longer the governor and there is no way you can have the best of two worlds. There is nowhere in the world that we have a permanent champion. What exists in the world is the current champion and Obaseki by virtue of his position is the current champion in Edo”he said.
https://www.independent.ng/edo-crisis-politics-of-godfatherism-or-betrayal/

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by Smalldick123(m): 10:15am On Nov 19, 2019
none of the above ITZ POLITICS OF BLOOD SUCKERS
Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 10:15am On Nov 19, 2019
More of godfatherism than betrayal

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by leokid866: 10:27am On Nov 19, 2019
With Oshiomhole delivering Bayelsa and kogi....obaseki has two options continue to fight his godfather(cause let's be honest that's what oshiomole is) and tank his current tenure and not be able to come back in 4 years, or make peace,stay in his lane, champion causes for the party and pray to God oshiomole forgives....but I heard oshiomole is a bitter vindictive man who likes to treat people's f*ck ups.

18 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 10:32am On Nov 19, 2019
What if he fights and win? Edo is not Lagos ooo

leokid866:
With Oshiomhole delivering Bayelsa and kogi....obaseki has two options continue to fight his godfather(cause let's be honest that's what oshiomole is) and tank his current tenure and not be able to come back in 4 years, or make peace,stay in his lane, champion causes for the party and pray to God oshiomole forgives....but I heard oshiomole is a bitter vindictive man who likes to treat people's f*ck ups.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by Ceoking7: 11:08am On Nov 19, 2019
hisexcellency34:

i honestly want that o, but the reality is how can he get the apc ticket cos adams as chairman would determine that o.

If he goes to pdp to contest he would loose going by the streak oshomole employs in doing election.

If oshomole has been brutal in previous elections how much more his state (if he loses it, no more commanding rights)

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by leokid866: 11:17am On Nov 19, 2019
hisexcellency34:

He should go ahead and try, it is right not to want what he does not want, but he should also be wary because the people whow are pushing him forward will not be there when the axe swings and he should realise they would gladly step over the dead body of his political career to replace him.....he should go ahead and fight for his right....but he should be careful.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by festacman(m): 11:32am On Nov 19, 2019
Edo APC crises is caused basically by the twisted sense of second term entitlement that is currently holding development down at state level. However, the truth is that 4 years is more than enough for any passionate idea driven, service-oriented, and development-focused governor to write his name in gold in the mind of people.

The situation is so bad that as soon as an incoming governor is sworn in for Ist term, he and his close supporters commence immediate preparation for 2nd term ticket. Consequently, a lot of funds are wasted on this, policies, programs and projects do not necessarily reflect immediate needs of people but all done to realize 2nd term project. Real and imaginary enemies are created and fought using public fund.

The earlier gubernatorial aspirants make their plans for 4 years the better for the society and the less the distractive clashes with godfathers. In reality, any governor who did excellently well in 1st term will have people behind him and godfather won't dare to stop his 2nd term bid. It happened in Lagos State with Babatunde Fashola.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 11:33am On Nov 19, 2019
I said so because unlike Ambode who was totally rejected, he still has many party leaders in Edo who are backing him

leokid866:
He should go ahead and try, it is right not to want what he does not want, but he should also be wary because the people whow are pushing him forward will not be there when the axe swings and he should realise they would gladly step over the dead body of his political career to replace him.....he should go ahead and fight for his right....but he should be careful.

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by leokid866: 11:38am On Nov 19, 2019
hisexcellency34:
I said so because unlike Ambode who was totally rejected, he still has many party leaders in Edo who are backing him

You think Ambode didn't have party leaders supporting him....Oga Tinubus daughter campaigned for him till elections came...and we all know how that turned out....

12 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by PapaBaby: 11:41am On Nov 19, 2019
Ok
Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 11:42am On Nov 19, 2019
That's true. All those who endorsed him later made a u--turn..but I hope Obaseki's own doesn't end up that way

leokid866:
You think Ambode didn't have party leaders supporting him....Oga Tinubus daughter campaigned for him till elections came...and we all know how that turned out....

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by nairavsdollars(f): 3:08pm On Nov 19, 2019
i agree with you, four years is enough for any sincere leader
festacman:
Edo APC crises is caused basically by the twisted sense of second term entitlement that is currently holding development down at state level. However, the truth is that 4 years is more than enough for any passionate idea driven, service-oriented, and development-focused governor to write his name in gold in the mind of people.

The situation is so bad that as soon as an incoming governor is sworn in for Ist term, he and his close supporters commence immediate preparation for 2nd term ticket. Consequently, a lot of funds are wasted on this, policies, programs and projects do not necessarily reflect immediate needs of people but all done to realize 2nd term project. Real and imaginary enemies are created and fought using public fund.

The earlier gubernatorial aspirants make their plans for 4 years the better for the society and the less the distractive clashes with godfathers. In reality, any governor who did excellently well in 1st term will have people behind him and godfather won't dare to stop his 2nd term bid. It happened in Lagos State with Babatunde Fashola.

8 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 4:10pm On Nov 19, 2019
The constitution allows four years of two terms. So what's the big deal?

festacman:

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by Ashabbiiee: 6:51am On Nov 20, 2019
Yes but cant we get a governor who will serve one term alone?

hisexcellency34:
The constitution allows four years of two terms. So what's the big deal?

11 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by helinues: 6:52am On Nov 20, 2019
Politics of hatred and bitterness from both Oshiomole and Obaseki
Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by Okoso1: 6:53am On Nov 20, 2019
[s]
helinues:
Ok
[/s]
Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by Okoso1: 6:53am On Nov 20, 2019
[s]
helinues:
[/s]
Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 7:15am On Nov 20, 2019
More from Oshiomhole than Obaseki

helinues:

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by helinues: 7:19am On Nov 20, 2019
hisexcellency34:

They are both greedy and selfish.. But Obaseki should think twice.. Oshiomole is too big for him

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by kayzat: 7:30am On Nov 20, 2019
hisexcellency34:

What has Oshiomole done or said to term his as Obaseki hater? It seem most of you has not been following the roforofo with open mind. Obaseki has always been the one attacking the party chairman while Oshiomole has been threading the part of peace and reconciliation. How many of you can stand all the attacks on Oshiomole since the beginning of this issue without fighting back?

As at this moment Oshiomole is yet to attack the personality of Obaseki and instead he's been saying obaseki is a good man that is been used by his deputy to fight a needless fight.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by Okoso1: 8:26am On Nov 20, 2019
[s]
helinues:

They are both greedy and selfish.. But Obaseki should think twice.. Oshiomole is too big for him
[/s]
Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 8:41am On Nov 20, 2019
Big as in how? Because na APC chairman abi?

helinues:

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by helinues: 8:42am On Nov 20, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Big as in how? Because na APC chairman abi?

Check Oshiomole's record.. He might not have been finding things easily but always scales through any hurdles

9 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 8:55am On Nov 20, 2019
Agreed. He hardly loses any battle but maybe Obaseki can smash that record...just maybe

helinues:

Check Oshiomole's record.. He might not have been finding things easily but always scales through any hurdles

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by helinues: 8:58am On Nov 20, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Agreed. He hardly loses any battle but maybe Obaseki can smash that record...just maybe

Should Obaseki loose Apc tickets, let him forgets about his second term ambitions

11 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 9:02am On Nov 20, 2019
Never say bro...PDP is a very strong party in Edo state unlike Lagos PDP that is practically dead

helinues:

Should Obaseki loose Apc tickets, let him forgets about his second term ambitions
Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by nairavsdollars(f): 9:03am On Nov 20, 2019
i beg to differ.performance can win him election on any party ticket
helinues:

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by helinues: 9:03am On Nov 20, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Never say bro...PDP is a very strong party in Edo state unlike Lagos PDP that is practically dead

Bayelsa state was also a very very strong Pdp state before the last weekend election. Oshiomole still have the structures in Edo..

Btw, what gives an assurance that Pdp will give Obaseki their tickets?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by helinues: 9:05am On Nov 20, 2019
nairavsdollars:
i beg to differ.performance can win him election on any party ticket

Na so performance got Bello's reelection?

The electorates are not trustworthy

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by hisexcellency34: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2019
Ize Iyamu is on his way out of PDP. No party will reject an incumbent governor because of his resources. Same way PDP was begging Ambode to join them

helinues:

Bayelsa state was also a very very strong Pdp state before the last weekend election. Oshiomole still have the structures in Edo..

Btw, what gives an assurance that Pdp will give Obaseki their tickets?
Re: Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? by helinues: 9:09am On Nov 20, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Ize Iyamu is on his way out of PDP. No party will reject an incumbent governor because of his resources. Same way PDP was begging Ambode to join them

Apart from being Edo governor, what political structures does Obaseki have in Edo state? Obaseki and Ambode are not different cos they are both handpicked by godfathers...

We saw what happened in Bayelsa regarding godfather

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Return Of Bandits: Gunmen Terrorise Niger, Kaduna, Kogi, Bayelsa, Adamawa / Agboola Ajayi: Nine APC Cheiftains In Race To Replace Ondo Deputy Governor / FG Gives 12,000 Foreigners Permit To Work In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.