Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,984 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

How Much Kombucha Should You Drink? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Much Kombucha Should You Drink? (426 Views)

How To Make Kombucha / How To Store Kombucha Scoby / Why Pregnant Women Should Not Drink Zobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Much Kombucha Should You Drink? by jannydear(f): 4:51pm On Nov 19, 2019
Kombucha is a healthy fermented drink that is believed to originate from Japan or China. Kambucha, a sparkling probiotic drink, contains loads of health benefits including destroys bacteria, cuts down risks of heart attack, aids better digestion, reduces risk of cancer, manage type 1 diabetes, boosts immunity, and lots of other benefits.

Most people have frequently asked the quantity or amount of kombucha that is safe to drink in a day. Well, that depends on some factors including how much sugar was used in its preparation, they type of tea used, whether it was home-prepared or gotten from the store, mode of storage, medical condition that may be affected by sugar in kombucha, and others.

Kombucha is derived from fermented green tea or black tea. The main ingredients in kombucha are tea, yeast, and sugar. The fermentation process of kombucha is comparable to the production of kimchi and yogurt, but contains minute quantity of alcohol.

In this article, we discussed in details how much kombucha is safe for you to drink in a day, how often you should drink it, and who should drink or avoid kombucha. Is kombucha an alcoholic drink? This is a commonly asked question which we also discussed.

How Much Kombucha Should I Drink
How much kombucha should I drink in a day? This is one question that kombucha lovers always ask. Kombucha is just like every other drink, which is best consumed in moderation. Kombucha is healthful no doubt, but too much intake of everything is considered not healthy. The mode of kombucha preparation should also be considered. The way a store-bought kombucha is prepared may be different from an home-brewed one. This means that the way your system may react to a store-bought kombucha may be different from the way you react to the one you prepared at home.

Consuming a kombucha that is not well made may have negative side effects on you. This doesn’t necessarily mean that kombucha isn’t good for you, it just has to do with the poor method of preparation. Take for instance, drinking a kombucha that was brewed in a moldy cupboard may have negative reactions on you.​

For beginners or if it’s your first time of taking kombucha, it is best you drink just a little quantity, say about 3 oz per day. Then proceed to drink equal amount of water to check how your body takes it. You can slightly increase the quantity by the next day to 5 oz per day. You can still increase the quantity if you like the way it makes you feel.

Note that no amount of drink irrespective of how healthy it is can compete with water. So, ensure you are drinking sufficient quantity of water to remain properly hydrated.

Does Kombucha Cause any Side effects?
Personally, I have been drinking kombucha almost every day, and I have never experienced any side-effects. I consume both the one I brewed at home and also the store-bought, and I haven’t noticed any form of adverse effects health-wise.

Kombucha may cause minor tummy aches or headaches, particularly for beginners. That is why it is advisable to start with little quantity and increase gradually over time. Some people claim they experience symptoms of detoxification, as the body allegedly gets rid of toxins from the system.

Is Kombucha an Alcoholic Drink?
Most people wish to know if kombucha is an alcoholic drink before they start drinking it. Kombucha is a fermented drink. The longer it ferments, the more trace elements of alcoholic contents it may likely contain. The amount of alcohol content is extremely trivial even when it is left to undergo fermentation for long. Home brewed kombucha may likely contain 2% alcohol by volume.

The alcohol content in kombucha depends on some factors including the brewer’s exclusive culture/SCOBY, ingredients and environment. Some SCOBYs may produce no trace of alcohol, irrespective of the duration you allow it to undergo fermentation. However, some SCOBYs with specific alcohol-producing yeasts may be more susceptible to generating alcohol.

Who Should Drink Kombucha and Who Should Avoid it?
For diabetes, it is best you consult your doctor before drinking kombucha. Though it is imperative to note that the sugar content in kombucha is lesser than some fruit juices. This may be one major reason why you should prepare your kombucha at home, as you would be able to know the quantity of sugar you added. Also, while kombucha is undergoing fermentation, the yeasts eats up most of the sugar, which is a good thing.

Those withdrawing from alcohol may avoid kombucha because even trace amounts of alcohol could trigger a craving. Conversely, there are still some people who prefer kombucha when recovering from alcohol as it helps to control cravings for beer or wine.

Those on medications may experience some side effects from drinking even the minutest quantity of alcohol like kombucha. Consult your doctor before drinking kombucha if you are on medication.

For children, parents can determine when to give kombucha to children. Some parents claim it helps children with upset stomach. It is best to avoid it giving your children if they show even the slightest indication of discomfort after drinking it.

The Muslim faith forbids kombucha due to its alcohol content, no matter how trivial.

Pregnant or breastfeeding women may abstain from drinking kombucha until the deliver their babies or stop breastfeeding. Consult your doctor before drinking kombucha if you are a breastfeeding mother.

Bottom line
So, how much kombucha should you consume? It is possible to consume excess of a good thing. Kombucha is a healthy drink to consume regularly, however, there is a point at which you should stop or limit frequency and quantity of consumption.

Source: https://healthdiary365.com/how-much-kombucha-should-you-drink/

(1) (Reply)

Men Stop Giving A Woman MouthAction, It Causes A Type Of Throat Cancer. / "Take Me To China; I Can Cure Coronavirus , A Nigerian Youth Says" / Potent sol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.