Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,930 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard (745 Views)

What Is This Thing Situated In Almost Every Nigerian City? (Pictured) / 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs In Nigeria / 10 Funny Pictures Of What Girls Should Stop In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Lawly: 11:10pm On Nov 19, 2019
10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard

Many Nigerians grew up hearing about these superstitions, which grew out of fear of the unknown.
There are more than a hundred superstitions we heard from friends and family, growing up.
Superstitions is a belief in supernatural causality that can be linked to a fear of the unknown. When one event causes another without any natural process linking the two events, it is definitely a superstition. Here is a list of 10 pretty interesting superstitions chosen based on how ridiculous and common they are:
1. Itchy Palms
Itchy palms are said to be a sign of good luck — it could also mean a large amount of money is coming your way.
2. Crossing legs
It is said that if you cross over a pregnant woman's legs, you will give birth to a child that looks like the person. Another version is that you shouldn't let anyone cross over your legs, if not you will give birth to a child with one arm or leg.
3. Seeing ghosts
The common warning is not to bend over to peer through between your legs, especially in crowded places like markets. One is bound to see ghosts and witches that way.
4. Spitting
If you have a sore throat, it is probably because you spit on the floor and someone stepped on it.
5. Eating in the dark
This is forbidden. It is believed that if you eat in the dark, you could be giving room to the dead to eat with you and this could lead to your death or grave ailments.
6. Eating from the ground
It is believed that when your food falls to ground, you should not pick it as the devil has eaten it.
7. Whistling at night
Whistling at night is believed to attract evil spirits and snakes.
8. Answering a call
If you hear your name and answer to it without seeing the person that called, you have just answered a ghost's call.
9. Sleeping face up
It is believed that sleeping face up is the best position for spirits to have access to your body and soul.
10. Sneezing
It is believed that a sneeze means someone is calling your name somewhere.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/10-funny-superstitious-beliefs-every-nigerian-has-heard/sd2fkq4.amp
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by greatmarshall(m): 11:28pm On Nov 19, 2019
grin
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Ikem11(m): 12:27am On Nov 20, 2019
That number 6 though. Notin man no go see or hear
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Nobody: 12:42am On Nov 20, 2019
It's only no 7 I've heard.
Please correct your topic: it's a wide generalization.
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Sonsly041(m): 1:43am On Nov 20, 2019
I believed number 9 sometimes it happened to me.
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Sonsly041(m): 1:45am On Nov 20, 2019
I believed number 9 sometimes it happened to me..
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Lawly: 6:54am On Nov 20, 2019
Ikem11:
That number 6 though. Notin man no go see or hear

Lol. I remember yrs back one elderly woman was telling me that with some seriousness. I no fit laugh
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Lawly: 6:55am On Nov 20, 2019
Sonsly041:
I believed number 9 sometimes it happened to me..

It has happened to me once. I normally sleep facing down.
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Sonsly041(m): 8:53pm On Nov 20, 2019
Lawly:

It has happened to me once. I normally sleep facing down.

I experience it so many times and I use to see terrible things
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Lawly: 8:57am On Nov 21, 2019
Sonsly041:

I experience it so many times and I use to see terrible things

Maybe you have a gift of vision when sleeping. I do see things too when sleeping though mine is usually negative things some people manipulate against me. I believe we both are being jinxed. I ve not been able to solve mine at the moment but sometimes at home when I'm about to sleep, I do feel and experience some weird almost invincible dark movements in my house.
So whenever I want to sleep, I usually make extensive use of back to sender oil. It kinda helps many times. Alternatively, I abstain from sex and every impurities. The attacks starts returning against senders and their children.
Re: 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard by Sonsly041(m): 8:24pm On Nov 23, 2019
Lawly:

Maybe you have a gift of vision when sleeping. I do see things too when sleeping though mine is usually negative things some people manipulate against me. I believe we both are being jinxed. I ve not been able to solve mine at the moment but sometimes at home when I'm about to sleep, I do feel and experience some weird almost invincible dark movements in my house.
So whenever I want to sleep, I usually make extensive use of back to sender oil. It kinda helps many times. Alternatively, I abstain from sex and every impurities. The attacks starts returning against senders and their children.

That is good but we need to put more effort in prayers too.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Lady’s Private Part Catches Fire As Flame Catching Stunt Goes Wrong / Honesty; We Still Have Very Honest Nigerians. / Best Taxi Services In Enugu State Nigeria 08086510264

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.