Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,881 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Things To Do Before Going For An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things To Do Before Going For An Interview (12302 Views)

As A Female, What Skills Do I Need To Acquire Before Going Abroad? / Check Out What A Guy Wore To An Interview / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:31am On Nov 20, 2019
The interview is the most important part of the job search process. Job interview typically precedes the hiring decision. The interview is usually preceded by the evaluation of submitted CVs from interested candidates, possibly by examining job applications or reading many CVs. Mathematically, interview carries larger percentage. While CV and networking work hand-in-hand. Preparing for a job interview is essential to making a good impression. Not everyone possesses the ability to persuade or show good impression, but there are ways to develop it and summon it when you need it on a job interview. You don’t need to be like a soldier going to the war fronts with arms and ammunition in order to ensure success in your interview. As long as you’re ready to adopt the following under listed tips, success is on your way.

1. GATHER ENOUGH INFORMATION ON THE EMPLOYER

Getting enough information is one of the first tips every job seeker must put in place. Finding the relevant information of a hiring company is like a game, and you need to use the right methods to come out on top. Some of the likely information you need to find out include; the company year of establishment, the mission and vision statement of the company, some of the key players in the company, the product and services of the company, to mention a few.

So what are some best-kept secrets to gaining this information so you can streamline the communication and application process? Check out these suggestions, stalk them, e.g. you can make some phone calls to company gatekeepers, administrative assistants, interns, or secretaries and others. You can also use email verification tools, check out public records, contact former employees, make calculated assumptions and search social networking platforms. By doing so, you’re gradually creating a good impression for the employer and the entire recruiting team.

2. STUDY AND UNDERSTAND THE POSITION YOU’RE APPLYING FOR

He who fails to plan they say, plans to fail. You’ve been called for an interview. Don’t just sit back and wait for the date to come. Otherwise, you’ll be preparing yourself for failure. Go back to the job advert and study the job description. Learn what is expected of the role. For instance, if you’re interviewing for a Security Manager role, you should be able to define security and other related concepts. You should know what the responsibilities of a Security Manager are. You should know the various reports written by a Security Manager. You’ll find all these information on the internet.

3. REVIEW INTERVIEW MANUAL AND DO A MOCK INTERVIEW BEFOREHAND

It is necessary for every job seeker to go through past interview manuals related or not related to the company. This will provide a resourceful background of what is expected of you. it’s well-known that preparation is key to pulling off a strong interview, but Katherine Burik, founder of The Interview Doctor, recommends preparing your responses in writing in advance. Edit and then practice saying your stories out loud until the responses should sound succinct and support your claims. Know by heart the stories you want to tell that demonstrate your accomplishments.

4. DRESS PROPER AND ARRIVE TO THE INTERVIEW VENUE ON TIME

Traditionally, interview wisdom will tell you a dark suit, a pressed button-down and perfectly shined pumps or shoes. But truthfully, it all depends on the gig you’re applying for. This getup works great in a traditional environment, like a bank or law firm but at a more creative business or a startup, you’ll be way overdressed and a polished business casual look might be much better.

As regards the time, early! We like the better-safe-than-sorry approach here and suggest planning to get to the office with about 30 minutes of leeway-you never know what traffic or subway gods could be working against you.

5. DURING INTERVIEW PROPER, DON’T GIVE GENERIC ANSWERS

The more specific and tangible examples you can provide that demonstrate that you have the experience needed, the better,” explains interview coach Margaret Buj. “In my experience most people unfortunately give very generic answers that don’t make them stand out from others.” A good way to stop yourself sounding generic is to provide as many specific examples as you can of how you’ve added value, of course making sure they’re relevant to the skills the interviewers are looking for.

6. AFTER THE INTERVIEW, ENDEAVOR TO APPRECIATE THE INTERVIEWER(S)

Before you walk out of the interview, endeavor to thank the interviewer(s) and after the interview, try and send your appreciation message through mobile number, email or postal address. By so doing, you’ll certainly get an edge over other finalists who did not bother to appreciate. Don’t forget an adage that says; appreciation is an application for more.

https://patrickokunima.com/the-best-interview-advice-youll-ever-read/

cc:

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Neroiam(m): 7:07am On Nov 20, 2019
Good one

1 Like

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by drake49(m): 7:08am On Nov 20, 2019
forget all these

2 Likes

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by lonelydora: 7:08am On Nov 20, 2019
Make sure you research about the company. Know their Vision and Mission statements. Know what they do and how they do it.

No need to start cramming how their operation works. You have never worked there, and the interviewers know this

5 Likes

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Wanity(m): 7:08am On Nov 20, 2019
Wey the work dey sef

2 Likes

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 20, 2019
Very useful information.
Thanks for sharing.

To add to that, it is okay/advisable to send a follow-up email 24 hours and two weeks after the interview.
The first email is of 'It was great meeting you', while the next one is of 'how far? Una never decide?'

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Promismike(m): 7:09am On Nov 20, 2019
Ok
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by MrSix: 7:09am On Nov 20, 2019
Check my signature

Laptops available in Lagos and Abuja.
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Hotzone(m): 7:10am On Nov 20, 2019
Ensure that ur name have been submitted through sms to the gsm of the CEO or HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER

4 Likes

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by nairalee(m): 7:12am On Nov 20, 2019
All those things listed by OP don't work in Nigeria. All you need is to fast and pray. Cos we do not interview against flesh and blood but principalities and powers. OP stop being too carnal. Have u not heard what's reigning now is unmerited favour?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by spafu(m): 7:15am On Nov 20, 2019
Nice
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Higgies(m): 7:15am On Nov 20, 2019
Thanks a lot.

My Hope is all on God.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by fatymore(f): 7:19am On Nov 20, 2019
May God help us.

Just go there prepared.

Don't overdo yourself and think you can use all these things you read or see on the internet.

Moderation is the.key.

May God help.all job seekers to see favor in the eyes of HRs

5 Likes

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by qanda: 7:20am On Nov 20, 2019
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by MrImole: 7:25am On Nov 20, 2019
Seriously?
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by mascot87(m): 7:29am On Nov 20, 2019
Higgies:
Thanks a lot.
I have an interview scheduled for tomorrow Nov 21.
My Hope is all on God.

Can you please tell me about yourself?
Tell me a time when someone disagree with you and what was the outcome?
What can you say about this role?
What are your strength and weakness?
Etc. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Valwezzy: 7:50am On Nov 20, 2019
(7) Kneel down so your mum can pray for you or call her to pray for you over the phone grin grin.

8 Never stammer when asked a question, it shows lack of confidence. cool

2 Likes

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by psp2pc(m): 7:54am On Nov 20, 2019
Forget all these.
even though you scale through all these.
Make sure you Know Someone or know someone that knows someone

1 Like

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by joywonderment(f): 8:14am On Nov 20, 2019
Pls guys I need an urgent reply. I saw a walk in interview with gr8jobng hr firm for call center agent. From today to Friday this week from 8am.@ 5 Ogbunike str off Admiralty way lekki Lagos. So should I go? It is scam or real? Please urgent reply needed tanx.
And I received mail for coronation graduate trainee program interview which is anchored by dragnet solutions, so pls who knows if its scam?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Ajibade123(m): 8:15am On Nov 20, 2019
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Dammysmart: 8:32am On Nov 20, 2019
joywonderment:
Pls guys I need an urgent reply. I saw a walk in interview with gr8jobng hr firm for call center agent. From today to Friday this week from 8am.@ 5 Ogbunike str off Admiralty way lekki Lagos. So should I go? It is scam or real? Please urgent reply needed tanx.
And I received mail for coronation graduate trainee program interview which is anchored by dragnet solutions, so pls who knows if its scam?
none is a scam, just go and may God be with you.

1 Like

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Rainbow219(m): 9:20am On Nov 20, 2019
OP you says dressing well is an added value to the job seekers. Can you please explain a type of clothes or dress an engineer can use when going to the interview.

Thanks
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Higgies(m): 9:26am On Nov 20, 2019
mascot87:

Can you please tell me about yourself? Tell me a time when someone disagree with you and what was the outcome? What can you say about this role? What are your strength and weakness? Etc. undecided
Thanks for these posers. I have screen munched it. I'll rehearse with them too. Thanks
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Olanre05(f): 10:02am On Nov 20, 2019
Higgies:
Thanks a lot.
I have an interview scheduled for tomorrow Nov 21.
My Hope is all on God.

I wish you a successful Interview. Be yourself and remain calm while answering the questions thrown at you. Be Safe.

1 Like

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Higgies(m): 10:35am On Nov 20, 2019
Olanre05:

I wish you a successful Interview. Be yourself and remain calm while answering the questions thrown at you. Be Safe.
Thanks a lot.
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by kurlz(f): 11:17am On Nov 20, 2019
Benin Recruitment

Are you highly motivated and result oriented?
Opay Benin is looking for motivated individuals as brand promoters. If you are interested, kindly walk in for an interview today @ Axa mansard building, (white building) opposite high court, sapele road. Benin city. Come along with your CV. And please share with friends.
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by Kokopiper: 12:45pm On Nov 20, 2019
well done.. you have said it all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by kennyjam: 3:11pm On Nov 20, 2019
nice one sir....

connection overseas all this one.
May God help us
Re: Things To Do Before Going For An Interview by incentive: 2:57pm On Nov 21, 2019
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Start A Pos Terminal Business? / Elev8 And Microsoft Offer 75 Quotas For Software Development Free Training / Lagos Npower Participants Plans Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.