Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. (20129 Views)

LAWMA Seals Alaba Rago Market. / LAWMA Seals Shops And Plazas At Ogudu-ojota Road Over Dumping Of Waste On Roads / LAWMA Shuts Sangotedo Market: Warns Markets Against Illegal Dumping Of Refuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 7:28pm On Nov 21, 2019
PRESS RELEASE

LAWMA shuts Oyingbo Market

Business activities at Oyingbo Market, Lagos State, have been put on hold by the Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), for sundry environmental infractions including indiscriminate refuse dumping, refusal to patronize PSP operators, roadside trading and poor hygienic practices, resulting in serious environmental problem in the area.

LAWMA said an abatement notice and several warnings issued to the traders yielded no result, necessitating the closure, adding that the market would be reopened when traders began to comply with government’s rules and regulations by shunning indiscriminate refuse disposal and patronizing assigned PSP operators.

The agency appealed to other markets in the state to imbibe the culture of effective waste disposal, warning that markets whose activities were found detrimental to the health and environmental wellbeing of the populace would be shut down till further notice.

Speaking on the development, the managing director of the agency, Dr. Muyiwa Gbadegesin, noted that efforts of the state government to enthrone sustainable environment was being undermined by some individuals, who would rather dump refuse on unauthorized locations, hence the need for total enforcement.

He warned that the grace period for environmental defaulters in the state had expired, as the agency had begun total enforcement against all forms of illegal and reckless waste disposal, capable of degrading the environment and posing health hazards to residents.

He said, “The act of indiscriminate refuse disposal in the city poses grave danger to public health and economic growth. Before now we adopted moral suasion as a tool to persuade residents to shun indiscriminate dumping. In spite of our efforts, some people have bluntly refused to turn a new leaf. Now we have commenced total enforcement to put defaulters in check”.

The LAWMA boss noted that the Enforcement Unit of the agency had been mandated to work round the clock, to clamp down on all environmental infractions capable of derailing efforts of the Authority towards environmental sustainability in the state.

He stated that section 115 (4) and 116 part IV, Environmental Sanitation Nuisances and Litters, as well as Section 81, Part III, Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) of Environmental Management and Protection Law 2017 prohibits dumping of waste at undesignated places, which attracts specified sanctions.

He stated further that the agency recently published a public notice on major national dailies, stating various environmental offences and appropriate sanctions to defaulters.

“The state’s laws are quite clear on the prohibition of illegal refuse disposal. It shows zero tolerance for environmental infractions and violators would be duly sanctioned to serve as deterrent to other residents,” he said.

Gbadegesin called on residents to support efforts of the state government to establish a cleaner and healthier environment in Lagos by ensuring they bagged and containerized their wastes appropriately, as well as patronizing assigned PSP operators.

He said further that LAWMA would continue the distribution of waste disposal bags under its Blue Box Initiative, for residents to sort their waste and dispose appropriately, adding that residents should promptly contact the Authority using the toll-free line 07080601020, for complaints and relevant information.

https://www.facebook.com/lawmapage/photos/a.155504007801284/2777765278908464/?type=3

4 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 7:28pm On Nov 21, 2019
LAWMA @Lawma_gov

LAWMA shuts Oyingbo Market

Business activities at Oyingbo Market, Lagos State, have been put on hold by LAWMA, for sundry environmental infractions including indiscriminate refuse dumping, refusal to patronize PSP operators, roadside trading and poor hygienic practices.

An abatement notice and several warnings issued to the traders yielded no result, necessitating the closure. The market will remain closed until the traders begin to comply with government's directive to shun indiscriminate refuse disposal.

https://twitter.com/Lawma_gov/status/1197576445691932672

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by angelEmade: 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2019
sometimes I wonder why...of all countries...I came to this one. this very one!!!
can any good news come out of this nation??
no I mean good news like all day and all night power supply....federal government paying 10k into every Nigerian's account monthly etc...
davido doing his bday or mercy winning bbnaija is no good news at all....
."life is hard" believe me folks. the man who coined that phrase must have been a Nigerian.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by J2381: 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2019
Nigerians never listen until the hammer drops, then they cry wolf and say they're being victimize.

27 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by armadeo(m): 7:40pm On Nov 21, 2019
J2381:
Nigerians never listen until the hammer drops, then they cry wolf and say they're being victimize.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

This is the very root of the Nigerian problem. Irresponsibility.

We as nigerians are irresponsible and like " doing anyhow" that's why the country is anyhow.

Good move by lawma

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by helinues: 7:42pm On Nov 21, 2019
Sanwo Olu is proactive these days oo

Nice one
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by J2381: 7:44pm On Nov 21, 2019
armadeo:

Exactly what I wanted to say.

This is the very root of the Nigerian problem. Irresponsibility.

We as nigerians are irresponsible and like " doing anyhow" that's why the country is anyhow.

Good move by lawma
I've long notice this appalling behaviour from many Nigerians. It is usually common among the ones who have this repulsive sense of entitlement. They believe they're entitled to behave the way they like. It's just a shame even LAWMA will relax after they comply, then give or take a few months, it's back to square one.

3 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by izzou(m): 7:46pm On Nov 21, 2019
grin

Roadside trading is part of the reasons LAWMA shut down the market

The local government collects dues and levies for people who trade by the roadside

LAWMA and the Local government are all under the same State government

Las Las, almost everyone is confused in this country

23 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by tojahh(m): 7:49pm On Nov 21, 2019
Long overdue. That market cast!

1 Like

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by slimfit1(m): 8:30pm On Nov 21, 2019
Good blame government all the time while they can't do the simplest thing.

3 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Ekwensu12: 8:44pm On Nov 21, 2019
[s]
helinues:
Sanwo Olu is proactive these days oo

Nice one
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Victory2222: 8:55pm On Nov 21, 2019
Go ladipo market mushin . the place be like waste disposal environment

1 Like

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 21, 2019
Great!
Next is okearo market, Matogun
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Victory2222: 8:56pm On Nov 21, 2019
Does Lawma has the right to luck up a market...?

1 Like

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Onlinealaba(m): 9:00pm On Nov 21, 2019
Nice one... The market should set up task force to checkmate environmental issues the way is done in market here electrical section of Alaba market if you drop sachet water on the ground it attracts a fine of #500 with that everybody make sure there surrounding is clean
Check my signature and profile for your electronics

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Gkay1(m): 9:00pm On Nov 21, 2019
Keep Lagos clean.
They are too adamant , lock it until they are ready to change

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Barthley: 9:02pm On Nov 21, 2019
We need to d needful govt can't do it all.

2 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by adesegun121(m): 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
Ok
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 0monnak0da: 9:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
J2381:
I've long notice this appalling behaviour from many Nigerians. It is usually common among the ones who have this repulsive sense of entitlement. They believe they're entitled to behave the way they like. It's just a shame even LAWMA will relax after they comply, then give or take a few months, it's back to square one.
Sorry I no gree. This is collective punishment

Does government close a road because some drivers overspeed?
Or shut down an airport because passengers do not flush toilets

Government should charge them upfront(tax ,levy,whatever) and arrange the cleaning.

Governments need to adopt a servant mentality and discard this bossy approach

9 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by colestephan86: 9:10pm On Nov 21, 2019
angelEmade:
sometimes I wonder why...of all countries...I came to this one. this very one!!!
no I mean good news like all day and all night power supply....federal government paying 10k into every Nigerian's account monthly etc...
."life is hard" believe me folks. the man who coined that phrase must have been a Nigerian.
Oga stop talking trash
Nothing will change if you don't start
If I buy u a ticket to go live in Switzerland, you will most definitely remain the way you are.

2 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Kennydoc(m): 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2019
0monnak0da:

Government should charge them upfront(tax ,levy,whatever) and arrange the cleaning.

Exactly. Same way universities don't shut their hostels because students mess up the toilets.
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by hakunamatata00(m): 9:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
Kilokan Niggar jare
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by KankOfLife(m): 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
No be today... that market has been like that since I was Just a kid accompanying my Grandma to her stall not far from the river bank,
They go still open the place after the traders do some busybody cleanups, then the whole thing go start all-over again.

2 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by frowland(m): 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
[s]
angelEmade:
[/s]

Cambodia Visa is free.
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 0monnak0da: 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
Kennydoc:

Exactly. Same way universities don't shut their hostels because students mess up the toilets.
Or shut down Aso Rock because Aisha is running amok grin

2 Likes

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Kennydoc(m): 9:24pm On Nov 21, 2019
0monnak0da:
Or shut down Aso Rock because Aisha is running amok grin
Hahahaha grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by lukui: 11:43pm On Nov 21, 2019
cleanliness is next to Godliness. all the trash that was stockpiled by the previous Governor, it's this present one that will bear the brunt
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Nyamiri: 12:30am On Nov 22, 2019
Amuatulu:
Great!
Next is okearo market, Matogun

The market of pigs.

1 Like

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 9jaRealist: 1:26am On Nov 22, 2019
GOOD START!

But a long long way to go...
We are suffering the fallout of the politically-motivated scrapping of the Clean Lagos Initiative!
undecided
>
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 9jaRealist: 1:31am On Nov 22, 2019
0monnak0da:

These market are effectively organized as 'cooperatives'...

They have a market association which deals with the govt...
This market association is also supposed to be contracting with the PSPs).

The association levies each trader for PSP (and other charges)...
The relationship with the market is thus handled as ONE entity, not 100s of individuals.
>

(1) (2) (Reply)

* / ‘Nigeria Now A Model To South Africa On Power Sector Reform’ / Gwarimpa Tipper Market In Abuja Gutted By Fire, Properties Destroyed (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.