Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Is It Normal For Local Government Council Touts And Officials To Make Arrest? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Is It Normal For Local Government Council Touts And Officials To Make Arrest? (317 Views)

Police Invade Suspected IPOB/ESN Hideout In Ebonyi, Kill One, Make Arrest / Anambra Government Starts 'Operation Arrest All Touts' (Pictures) / Soldiers Order Two Touts To Swim Inside A Gutter In Ikeja, Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is It Normal For Local Government Council Touts And Officials To Make Arrest? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 22, 2019
Hello everyone,
I was trying to take a turn in Lagos. There was no embargo sign or "no turning sign" at the middle of the road but the sign was placed where no eyes would see before the turning. I was accosted by two officials who claimed to be SARS. You all know that you would not want to offend SARS officials. One of them got into the car and was asking me how much do i have, I gave them what I had and he still tricked me into their council office where they still asked me to pay 25k in other to get my car out. I want to ask if it is constitutional, or okay for council touts and officials to arrest a traffic offenders.
Re: Is It Normal For Local Government Council Touts And Officials To Make Arrest? by Bankowner: 1:30am On Nov 23, 2019
To try and answer your question, the first thing you need to do is ask for a copy of the local council's By-Laws and Statutes related to traffic offences and the mode of arrest and penalty(ies).

A major consideration here is if the road is a trunk A, B or C. If your arrest was on a trunk C road, it is totally within the jurisdiction of the LC. However, even the Touts/officials mobilized for this assignment are smart and know that you can argue your way out of the arrest so they first pretend they want to let you go by collecting money from you. That act, unfortunately, is a further trap as the tout will report that you bribed him at the point of arrest and present the money as evidence. I can bet the arresting official collected your money and told you to drive to a location from the scene of the crime so his superior won't know he's taking bribe. Alas, the location is right in front of the council office. No way to fight!

So how do i know this? It happened to a friend and it wasn't funny. After dragging with them, he paid 4k to get his car out but not before they had deflated his tires.

1 Like

Re: Is It Normal For Local Government Council Touts And Officials To Make Arrest? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 28, 2019
Bankowner:
To try and answer your question, the first thing you need to do is ask for a copy of the local council's By-Laws and Statutes related to traffic offences and the mode of arrest and penalty(ies).

A major consideration here is if the road is a trunk A, B or C. If your arrest was on a trunk C road, it is totally within the jurisdiction of the LC. However, even the Touts/officials mobilized for this assignment are smart and know that you can argue your way out of the arrest so they first pretend they want to let you go by collecting money from you. That act, unfortunately, is a further trap as the tout will report that you bribed him at the point of arrest and present the money as evidence. I can bet the arresting official collected your money and told you to drive to a location from the scene of the crime so his superior won't know he's taking bribe. Alas, the location is right in front of the council office. No way to fight!

So how do i know this? It happened to a friend and it wasn't funny. After dragging with them, he paid 4k to get his car out but not before they had deflated his tires.

You are totally right. I paid 1k5 and yet he still tricked me to the office where he seized my car key. But unfortunately for the boss who wrote 25k ticket for me, I didnt pay a dine because I called a police boss for them.

(1) (Reply)

Man, 73yr Old Apprehended For Raping 3yr Child In Nasarawa / Update: Policeman Shoots Truck Driver Dead ‘over N50 Bribe’ (fullvideo) / Live Report : Woman Losses 2 Kids To Fire In Sapele, Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.