Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,200 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Any Help On How Not To Get Defrauded By My Clearing Agent? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Any Help On How Not To Get Defrauded By My Clearing Agent? (1071 Views)

Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station / Re: Mr Diportivo Defrauded Me- RESOLVED!! / I Need My Car To Be Scanned At My Home In Ikorodu; Any Help? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Help On How Not To Get Defrauded By My Clearing Agent? by techlawcrat: 7:22am On Nov 23, 2019
I had contracted a car clearing agent to help me clear a 2011 Toyota Corolla LE from Tincan port, which he told me will cost me about 700k for both clearing and customs duties. I paid him the full amount immediately the car arrived and that's over 3 weeks ago.

It's been over 3 weeks(1st November) since the car arrived but it's been one story to the other. The first week he said he requested for the car to be transferred from tincan to Grimaldi (the shipping company in mile 2) for easy carriage. The second week he claimed they are yet to key the car into the system and without that the car cant be released. Third week is over and it's the same story.

For the past 3 days now he hasn't picked my calls and has neither called to intimate me with any update.

I am now so confused as to what steps to take and I am beginning to think otherwise. Should the guy want to abscond with the car or something, what steps can I take?

NP: Have once used him to clear a Toyota Camry 2012 last year and nothing like this happened.

Please move to front page as I need valuable response in this regard. Thanks

Cc
Lalastica
Mynd4
Re: Any Help On How Not To Get Defrauded By My Clearing Agent? by kkjames(m): 7:35am On Nov 23, 2019
Am also facing same issue but I think the problem is graidemalden not really the agent .
The best option I think is to buy the car urself from abroad and handover it to clearing agent straight instead of hand to hand stuff
My car still yet clear since July .now demrade is on it we have to apply for additional manifest according to the agent
Re: Any Help On How Not To Get Defrauded By My Clearing Agent? by techlawcrat: 8:19am On Nov 23, 2019
Wow! Really! Thanks for the insight... I am just curious since the agent as also refused to pick calls... But I will still hear from him to know the way forward.

kkjames:
Am also facing same issue but I think the problem is graidemalden not really the agent .
The best option I think is to buy the car urself from abroad and handover it to clearing agent straight instead of hand to hand stuff
My car still yet clear since July .now demrade is on it we have to apply for additional manifest according to the agent
Re: Any Help On How Not To Get Defrauded By My Clearing Agent? by Fogman(m): 12:17pm On Nov 23, 2019
Had similar experience recently, though mine was Sallum Line It is your agent issue, most of them are not truthful. Mine was giving me different cock and bull stories and refused to take my calls or even call to update me. At the end he told me his license was withdrawn by custom. Took me over 2 weeks to get my vehicle and vehicle was transferred to Classic terminal in Okota and i was made to pay extra N20k to Classic Terminal. They claim the money was for towing my vehicle, but i presume the money was demurage, because my vehicle was there for 10 days, before i collected it
Re: Any Help On How Not To Get Defrauded By My Clearing Agent? by millerbright16(m): 1:12am On Jan 21, 2020
Are you able to get the car out ?

techlawcrat:
I had contracted a car clearing agent to help me clear a 2011 Toyota Corolla LE from Tincan port, which he told me will cost me about 700k for both clearing and customs duties. I paid him the full amount immediately the car arrived and that's over 3 weeks ago.

It's been over 3 weeks(1st November) since the car arrived but it's been one story to the other. The first week he said he requested for the car to be transferred from tincan to Grimaldi (the shipping company in mile 2) for easy carriage. The second week he claimed they are yet to key the car into the system and without that the car cant be released. Third week is over and it's the same story.

For the past 3 days now he hasn't picked my calls and has neither called to intimate me with any update.

I am now so confused as to what steps to take and I am beginning to think otherwise. Should the guy want to abscond with the car or something, what steps can I take?

NP: Have once used him to clear a Toyota Camry 2012 last year and nothing like this happened.

Please move to front page as I need valuable response in this regard. Thanks

Cc
Lalastica
Mynd4
Re: Any Help On How Not To Get Defrauded By My Clearing Agent? by millerbright16(m): 1:15am On Jan 21, 2020
Did you have to pay another agent to help you get your car out?

Fogman:
Had similar experience recently, though mine was Sallum Line It is your agent issue, most of them are not truthful. Mine was giving me different cock and bull stories and refused to take my calls or even call to update me. At the end he told me his license was withdrawn by custom. Took me over 2 weeks to get my vehicle and vehicle was transferred to Classic terminal in Okota and i was made to pay extra N20k to Classic Terminal. They claim the money was for towing my vehicle, but i presume the money was demurage, because my vehicle was there for 10 days, before i collected it
Re: Any Help On How Not To Get Defrauded By My Clearing Agent? by Fogman(m): 1:25am On Jan 21, 2020
millerbright16:
Did you have to pay another agent to help you get your car out?

No

(1) (Reply)

Senator Yayi Gifts Actor Ogogo A Toyota Venza On His 60th Birthday / Information On Ladipo Market / How To Inspect A Car Like A Pro Tech Before Buying, Without Mechanic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.