Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,469 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? (695 Views)

Traders Raise Concern Over Mentally Ill Persons In Ogun / Mentally Ill Patients Released From A Psychiatric Hospital In Calabar / Anambra Ministry Rescues Mentally-ill Mum & Her Infant From The Streets (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by Nobody: 2:41am On Nov 24, 2019
Honestly wondering how Nigeria addresses the mental health issues amongst its people?
Do Nigerians even believe that there is such a thing as mentally-ill people who do NOT have to roam the streets naked, and disheveled in order to be classified in that manner?
Re: How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by voltron14: 2:58am On Nov 24, 2019
Like Bobrisky or Naira Marley?

They get elevated.

1 Like

Re: How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by Bluntguy: 5:57am On Nov 24, 2019
Our mad politicians should just stop making people mad with their mad policies and even the already mad ones will stop being mad..

1 Like

Re: How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by meobizy(f): 4:53pm On Nov 24, 2019
We tie them with ropes, hoping they don’t venture into markets.

Of course we know people go mental. It then becomes an individual thing handling their matter. Families device means to cope with members who devolve into insanity. There are also psychiatric homes where the insane are kept. It’s sad they are not treated well hence most escaping to roam the streets like we all see.
Re: How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 24, 2019
voltron14:
Like Bobrisky or Naira Marley?

They get elevated.

So you are ssying that society rewards abnormal behavior?
I'm really confused about the first fellow, cause I thought Nigeria had very tough laws against homosexuality. People say that's just his "hustle"..but I don't understand that.
Anyhow, don't really know much about the second guy..though I've seen his name a lot.
Re: How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by Nobody: 12:05am On Nov 25, 2019
meobizy:
We tie them with ropes, hoping they don’t venture into markets.

Of course we know people go mental. It then becomes an individual thing handling their matter. Families device means to cope with members who devolve into insanity. There are also psychiatric homes where the insane are kept. It’s sad they are not treated well hence most escaping to roam the streets like we all see.

Ok...but I'm meaning more like people who are suffering from the following: major depression, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, etc.
I read a lot of folks here that are suicidal, in heavy depression etc.
I also read the comments of many who seem to not be functioning with a "full deck of cards"..if you understand that phrase.
The stuff written here, oftentimes, surpasses the normal having fun on an "anonymous" forum.
Re: How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by meobizy(f): 6:47am On Nov 25, 2019
Dasani:

Ok...but I'm meaning more like people who are suffering from the following: major depression, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, etc.
That’s the deeper end of mental illnesses which I doubt the country has come to terms with. We are familiar with schizophrenia, the sufferers are locked up in psychiatric homes with mania patients.

I read a lot of folks here that are suicidal, in heavy depression etc.
These are just kids here looking for attention or somebody to scam. Every week people open tens of threads claiming they’ll commit suicide. All they do is open alternate accounts to continue using the forum.

I also read the comments of many who seem to not be functioning with a "full deck of cards"..if you understand that phrase.
The stuff written here, oftentimes, surpasses the normal having fun on an "anonymous" forum.
Every classroom has a clown. The bigger the classroom the more clowns. Don’t read too deep into comments here.

1 Like

Re: How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 25, 2019
meobizy:

That’s the deeper end of mental illnesses which I doubt the country has come to terms with. We are familiar with schizophrenia, the sufferers are locked up in psychiatric homes with mania patients.

These are just kids here looking for attention or somebody to scam. Every week people open tens of threads claiming they’ll commit suicide. All they do is open alternate accounts to continue using the forum.

Every classroom has a clown. The bigger the classroom the more clowns. Don’t read too deep into comments here.

Thanks for your reply. Truly appreciated.
I really believe that because of the conditions in Nigeria, some people may really be suffering though.
So many issues seem taboo in Nigeria (and left unaddressed...or people are in denial).

Are the patients able to be rehabilitated once put into the institutions? Or are they just in there rotting to death?
Also, have you ever heard of high-functioning (meaning fully working) mentally-ill people?
When you say "kids", what age range are we talking? Could you give me some actual numbers?
Sorry for the questions..(if you don't mind answering)...trying to understand something here, which can give me a better perspective.
Re: How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by meobizy(f): 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2019
Dasani:

Thanks for your reply. Truly appreciated.
I really believe that because of the conditions in Nigeria, some people may really be suffering though.
So many issues seem taboo in Nigeria (and left unaddressed...or people are in denial).
We are in denial because of limited knowledge regarding mental illnesses coupled with religious leaders leading people astray. A lot of people still believe epilepsy, cancer and HIV/AIDS are inflictions which are cursed upon the unlucky.

Are the patients able to be rehabilitated once put into the institutions? Or are they just in there rotting to death?
For this I have no idea. I’ve rubbed minds with medical practitioners who say the patients are taken care of and given drugs daily. Whether the medication cures them or aids them live normally with the condition was a question I found unimportant at the time.

Also, have you ever heard of high-functioning (meaning fully working) mentally-ill people?
No. I know of autistic people who are employed to crunch numbers the average person finds difficulty with. I also know of some employed to debug software codes. Are those the type you speak of?

When you say "kids", what age range are we talking?
Age 14 - 26. In the Nigerian environment they are still referred to as children since most live under parents’ roofs and accordingly act immature.

Could you give me some actual numbers?
Sorry for the questions..(if you don't mind answering.
Not a considerable but a very annoying lot. One person possesses the ability to open four alternate accounts which he’ll cycle to post suicide threats, manipulating the uninformed into thinking four individuals are ready to end it all. Imagine ten bored kids with at least five alternates each, a first time visitor will think only the insane visit the platform.

...trying to understand something here, which can give me a better perspective.
My knowledge on this sort of thing borders on layman. I’ll try to help where I can. More experienced people will fill you with more detail but I doubt they visit or are interested in this platform.

1 Like

Re: How Is Nigeria Addressing The Mentally-ill Segment Of The Population? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 25, 2019

(1) (Reply)

WOSCIN Visits Ogun State Commissioner For Women Affairs And Social Development / Turbo Max Blue Patches. / See Before And After Picture Of Lagos Streets Before lockdown(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.