Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,639 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna (2557 Views)

We Have Declared Ambode Enemy Of Ndigbo – Ohanaeze / “open Letter To Ndigbo” -by Joe Igbokwe / Pictures Of Ndigbo Muslims After Eid Prayer In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 8:12pm On Nov 21, 2010
This is an eyewitness account of Araba, which took place in kaduna before the civil war. Araba means (let's share it) in hausa.  Chuckwuma Nzeogwu led a coup wherein the most revered leader of the northerners, the Sadauna of Sokoto was killed while he slept. Sadauna had a home in Kaduna which was bombed by the coupists resulting to the cold blooded murder of Sadauna and the members of his family who were at the house during the bombing. This singular act of murder did not sit very well with Sadauna's subjects - they believed wholeheartedly that the coup was carried out by Igbos and was a declaration of war in which a retaliation was mandatory.

The following is a miniaturized account of an eyewitness to one such retaliatory act.

[b]The elders decided on a day in which a house to house search would be conducted in Kaduna, for Ndigbos who had not yet fled the city. Every suspect would be shown the old three pence, and asked to identify the coin. Three pence was called Toro by all and sundry in kaduna, the Igbos however pronounced Toro as Tolo.  Once a suspect is found and identified as Ibo by anyone in the Araba mob, he/she was summarily beaten to death, burnt in some cases, and all of the belongings found in the victims' houses were looted (hence Araba). Those that pronounced toro as tolo were also summarily beaten to death.

The mob went from street to street, house to house, in search of Igbos, killing the unlucky ones that  could not escape. The most interesting thing about the mob is that, well over 50% was made up of Yorubas, old Mid Westerners, and other southerners who were eager to participate in the araba and possibly save their own skins.  These non Northerners were the first to shout yamiri or throw the first stone. They also did most of the looting.

My brother, it is amazing what a mob can do. Many people who, under normal conditions were angels, became animals. May this never happen again in Nigeria.
[/b]

This eyewitness account should serve as a warning to other Delta Igbos and Delta Non-Igbos, who like their fellow kinsman, Nzeogwu Chukwuma Kaduna, could act foolishly and cause similar Arabas or worse to recurr. Let us hope GEJ would thread very lightly. It is not too late for him to withdraw from the presidential race. A gentleman's agreement should be just that. As OBJ would say, this is not the time for rascality.

Nwata erughi eru juwa ihe mere nna,ihe mere nna ya emee ya (A child must wait until he is of age before inquiring into what killed his father or else,what killed his father will also kill him).

1 Like

Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by naijaking1: 8:55pm On Nov 21, 2010
@poster
Your motivation for this piece is very suspect.
Let me guess:
A. You want to educate us here on N/L
B. You want re-write history
C. You want rubbish your ego, you victory, and your civil war conquests
D. You want to threaten GEJ, scare him aware from the presidential race, and maintain the status quo for the Hausa/Fulani guys.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 21, 2010
And you said this happened before the war ? When exactly poster .
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by Pharoh: 9:27pm On Nov 21, 2010
~Bluetooth:

And you said this happened before the war ? When exactly poster .

I think between the first and second coup.

This eyewitness account should serve as a warning to other Delta Igbos and Delta Non-Igbos, who like their fellow kinsman, Nzeogwu Chukwuma Kaduna, could act foolishly and cause similar Arabas or worse to recurr. Let us hope GEJ would thread very lightly. It is not too late for him to withdraw from the presidential race. A gentleman's agreement should be just that. As OBJ would say, this is not the time for rascality.

Nwata erughi eru juwa ihe mere nna,ihe mere nna ya emee ya (A child must wait until he is of age before inquiring into what killed his father or else,what killed his father will also kill him).

So you are coming now to say this because IBB is now the consensus candidate of the north? Goodluck is going to contest and win and nothing will happen.

We are no longer in 1960's and there are no more monopolies to violence.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 9:39pm On Nov 21, 2010
naijaking1:

@poster
Your motivation for this piece is very suspect.
Let me guess:
A. You want to educate us here on N/L
B. You want re-write history
C. You want rubbish your ego, you victory, and your civil war conquests
D. You want to threaten GEJ, scare him aware from the presidential race, and maintain the status quo for the Hausa/Fulani guys.

naijaking1, stop being so paranoid - there is no hidden agenda here.

A.  Yes
B. No, I reported historical facts in my post.  What do you perceive as revisionism in the post?
C. Don't know what you are talking about here.
D. Very funny. GEJ is probably effeminate enough to be scare by a nairaland post by little me.

@~Bluetooth, The events took place after the Nzeogwu coup and before the civil war. I'm not surprised that many people are not aware of the various attrocities committed against Ndigbo by Southerners, old Mid Westerners, and some Yorubas who lived in Kaduna during the said period.

If you are familair with Kaduna,  if you make a turn into Katsina road towards Quarters, the area around the bridge down the road, was used as incineration arenas where victims were burnt to death! Very sad.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by jason12345: 9:40pm On Nov 21, 2010
ndu_chucks:

This is an eyewitness account of Araba, which took place in kaduna before the civil war. Araba means (let's share it) in hausa.  Chuckwuma Nzeogwu led a coup wherein the most revered leader of the northerners, the Sadauna of Sokoto was killed while he slept. Sadauna had a home in Kaduna which was bombed by the coupists resulting to the cold blooded murder of Sadauna and the members of his family who were at the house during the bombing. This singular act of murder did not sit very well with Sadauna's subjects - they believed wholeheartedly that the coup was carried out by Igbos and was a declaration of war in which a retaliation was mandatory.

The following is a miniaturized account of an eyewitness to one such retaliatory act.

[b]The elders decided on a day in which a house to house search would be conducted in Kaduna, for Ndigbos who had not yet fled the city. Every suspect would be shown the old three pence, and asked to identify the coin. Three pence was called Toro by all and sundry in kaduna, the Igbos however pronounced Toro as Tolo.  Once a suspect is found and identified as Igbo by anyone in the Araba mob, he/she was summarily beaten to death, burnt in some cases, and all of the belongings found in the victims' houses were looted (hence Araba). Those that pronounced toro as tolo were also summarily beaten to death.

The mob went from street to street, house to house, in search of Igbos, killing the unlucky ones that  could not escape. The most interesting thing about the mod is that, well over 50% was made up of Yorubas, old Mid Westerners, and other southerners who were eager to participate in the araba and possibly save their own skins.  These non Northerners were the first to shout yamiri or throw the first stone. They also did most of the looting.

My brother, it is amazing what a mod can do. Many people who, under normal conditions were angels, became animals. May this never happen again in Nigeria.
[/b]

what are your sources or evidence?? how come it has never been mentioned in any history book or by the igbos themselves?? are you trying to scare people to stand by zoning?? what makes you think ALL igbos would support or be against GJ. people are dynamic, and you cannot assume all igbos are going to follow one man or organisation. are you scared of the northerners? what do you hope to achieve with this post?
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 9:45pm On Nov 21, 2010
Pharoh:

So you are coming now to say this because IBB is now the consensus candidate of the north? Goodluck is going to contest and win and nothing will happen.

Mallam Pharoh, how in the world did you reach your conclusion? What does IBB have to do with me or my post?  I would have liked to read your comments on the attrocities committed by southerners agianst ndigbo during the said Arabas.  An apology to Ndigbo on behalf of ya brothers would have been sufficient. olodo
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by naijaking1: 9:49pm On Nov 21, 2010
ndu_chucks:

naijaking1, stop being so paranoid - there is no hidden agenda here.

A.  Yes
B. No, I reported historical facts in my post.  What do you perceive as revisionism in the post?
C. Don't know what you are talking about here.
D. Very funny. GEJ is probably effeminate enough to be scare by a nairaland post by little me.

@~Bluetooth, The events took place after the Nzeogwu coup and before the civil war. I'm not surprised that many people are not aware of the various attrocities committed against Ndigbo by Southerners, old Mid Westerners, and some Yorubas who lived in Kaduna during the said period.

If you are familair with Kaduna,  if you make a turn into Katsina road towards Quarters, the area around the bridge down the road, was used as incineration arenas where victims were burnt to death! Very sad.  

Classic ndu_chucks .5% lies, .25% truth, .25% uncertain.
Just a little education for you:
If you randomly pick out 10 Igbos from a Street in Enugu, about 2-3 of them would pronounce toro as tolo, because of their Nnewi/Idemili dialectic vernacular pronounciation. You should know that, because you have an uncanny Igbo proverb to show us that you're Igbo too, mallam?

Don't even go there about Igbos being attacked by mostly fellow southerners, it's false an a weak attempt to re-write history. The plans to attack Igbos were hatched, executed by well meaning/highly placed Hausa/Fulanis like Ado Bayero,etc.
So, don't worry about trying to divide southerners in such a self-serving manner, it wouldn't work.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 9:51pm On Nov 21, 2010
jason12345:

what are your sources or evidence?? how come it has never been mentioned in any history book or by the igbos themselves?? are you trying to scare people to stand by zoning?? what makes you think ALL igbos would support or be against GJ. people are dynamic, and you cannot assume all igbos are going to follow one man or organisation. are you scared of the northerners? what do you hope to achieve with this post?

You must have been reading "history" books written by revisionists rather than historians. Just wait for a few hours, our resident historian Dede1 will confirm that Arabas took place.  He may however not admit that more than 50% of the mob in kaduna were not northerners as that may not bode well for his preferred account.

I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that I think ALL igbos would support or be against GJ. olodo
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 9:56pm On Nov 21, 2010
naijaking1:

Classic ndu_chucks .5% lies, .25% truth, .25 uncertain.
Just a little education for you:
If you randomly pick out 10 Igbos from a Street in Enugu, about 2-3 of them would pronounce toro as tolo, because of their Nnewi/Idemili dialectic vernacular pronounciation. You should know that, because you have an uncanny Igbo proverb to show us that you're Igbo too, mallam?

lol @ naijaking1. The account in my first post is factual. It is not enough to say that classic ndu_chucks posts are made up of some fuzzy statistics as you put it.  The fact remains that they used the tolo thingy to smokeout Igbos - by the way, there is nothing to celebrate about the whole affair.

naijaking1:

Don't even go there about Igbos being attacked by mostly fellow southerners, it's false an a weak attempt to re-write history. The plans to attack Igbos were hatched, executed by well meaning/highly placed Hausa/Fulanis like Ado Bayero,etc.
So, don't worry about trying to divide southerners in such a self-serving manner, it wouldn't work.

My post is about an incident of Araba which took place in Kaduna. The facts of that araba remain as I've stated them. You are free to describe other attacks if you wish - that's your cup of tea. Please open a new thread and give us details of those attacks. olodo
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by houvest: 10:04pm On Nov 21, 2010
I am still wondering what leads to ban on NL. If such hate posts are treated cavalierly, what of the death threats to the president and innocent citizensjust because a man wants to exercise his God-given rights. I doubt how long folks will remain on NL when they share the same forum with hate spewing bigots without cautions of any type.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by Pharoh: 10:19pm On Nov 21, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Mallam Pharoh, how in the world did you reach your conclusion? What does IBB have to do with me or my post?  I would have liked to read your comments on the attrocities committed by southerners agianst ndigbo during the said Arabas.  An apology to Ndigbo on behalf of ya brothers would have been sufficient. olodo

IBB has everything to do with your gentleman's agreement mentality that does not exist and has been proven to be a fallacy. The pogroms was carried out by northerners on the Igbos and "if" i mean really if there were some mid-westerners or southerner's involved, It is a very negligible and insignificant amount. Your attempt to divide the south is very lame and childish, you should try harder next time and come with a better trick.

There is no way a northerner will ever be a president in Nigeria for the next 20 years, the country will rather explode if it comes to that.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by Beaf: 10:30pm On Nov 21, 2010
Poor Fulani fcker, raking up ethnic bigotry and crass muck, because of loss of free oil!
I cannot recall ever seeing such primitive and depraved article anywhere on NL.

Mods, please move this to the racism and tribalism section.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by excanny: 10:46pm On Nov 21, 2010
Anybody that thinks that these kinds of atrocities can be committed against Ndigbo again without reprisals is a FOOL with flying colours.

Ojukwu will no more be there to allow the kins of such groups to leave the SE unscathed.

Thank God we now have militant groups that are as barbaric as the Northern jihadists.

It will be a surprise to realize that no one has the monopoly on senseless killings.

Remember the Onitsha reprisals in 2006. That is a foretaste of what to expect.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 1:16am On Nov 22, 2010
Pharoh:

The pogroms was carried out by northerners on the Igbos and "if" i mean really if there were some mid-westerners or southerner's involved, It is a very negligible and insignificant amount. Your attempt to divide the south is very lame and childish, you should try harder next time and come with a better trick.

If you believe my initial post can divide an already divided south, then I have overestimated the soundness of your judgement.  There is division between ethnic groups, all over the south, from the south west to the south south, so your point is not sensible, with due respect.  Truth be told, it is the presence of Northerners in Nigeria that has prevented southerners from annihilating themselves because of senseless regional conflicts.

Pharoh:

There is no way a northerner will ever be a president in Nigeria for the next 20 years, the country will rather explode if it comes to that.

One cannot accuse you of being a nationalist. Rakumin Dajij
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by chyz(m): 1:27am On Nov 22, 2010
ndu_chucks:

If you believe my initial post can divide an already divided south, then I have overestimated the soundness of your judgement.  There is division between ethnic groups, all over the south, from the south west to the south south, so your point is not sensible, with due respect.  Truth be told, it is the presence of Northerners in Nigeria that has prevented southerners from annihilating themselves because of senseless regional conflicts.

One cannot accuse you of being a nationalist. Rakumin Dajij

Lool we in the SS and SE are voting GEJ and that's that. cool
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 1:28am On Nov 22, 2010
Beaf:

Poor Fulani fcker, raking up ethnic bigotry and crass muck, because of loss of free oil!
I cannot recall ever seeing such primitive and depraved article anywhere on NL.

Mods, please move this to the racism and tribalism section.

Beaf, This new persona of yours is more careless, less cordial, and outright irresponsible. You assumed this character since GEJ became the President of Nigeria.  Reigning abuses and in many cases, causes on people who have views contrary to yours, has become the order of the day, as far as many of your posts are concerned.

You people need to find good advisers for GEJ so that he will not throw our dear country into chaos and/or avoidable war. His handling of the criminals of ND including MEND, is a prime example of his incompetence. olodo
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 1:30am On Nov 22, 2010
chyz:

Lool we in the SS and SE are voting GEJ and that's that. cool

Don't be surprised if a candidate like IBB or Buhari wins your very ward, with the help of Ojukwu.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by chyz(m): 1:36am On Nov 22, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Don't be surprised if candidates like IBB or Buhari wins your very ward, with the help of Ojukwu.

Sorry, it's GEJ all the way.hmmm, that kinda rhymes, i think it will be my new slogan. "It's G-E-J all the way" grin
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by Mariory(m): 2:27am On Nov 22, 2010
ndu_chucks:

The elders decided on a day in which a house to house search would be conducted in Kaduna, for Ndigbos who had not yet fled the city. Every suspect would be shown the old three pence, and asked to identify the coin. Three pence was called Toro by all and sundry in kaduna, the Igbos however pronounced Toro as Tolo.  Once a suspect is found and identified as Igbo by anyone in the Araba mob, he/she was summarily beaten to death, burnt in some cases, and all of the belongings found in the victims' houses were looted (hence Araba). Those that pronounced toro as tolo were also summarily beaten to death.

The mob went from street to street, house to house, in search of Igbos, killing the unlucky ones that  could not escape. The most interesting thing about the mod is that, well over 50% was made up of Yorubas, old Mid Westerners, and other southerners who were eager to participate in the araba and possibly save their own skins.  These non Northerners were the first to shout yamiri or throw the first stone. They also did most of the looting.

My brother, it is amazing what a mod can do. Many people who, under normal conditions were angels, became animals. May this never happen again in Nigeria.

What is a mod? Is the witness referring to the [b]mod[/b]s one can apply to video games to enhance one's experience? Those types of [b]mod[/b]s are amazing.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by naijaking1: 4:36am On Nov 22, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Don't be surprised if a candidate like IBB or Buhari wins your very ward, with the help of Ojukwu.

I was going to say "you fool, have you forgotten that even Ojukwu lost his own senatorial election in Igboland?" I stopped, because I know you know the truth, but since your mission here is misinformation, I say carry on mallam cheesy
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 1:08pm On Nov 22, 2010
@Mariory, That was a typo. I meant to write mob.

@Naijaking, You must be a gentleman. You are even polite when attempting to insult people. You my friend are cool. olodo. cheesy
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 2:23pm On Dec 18, 2010
Pharoh:

IBB has everything to do with your gentleman's agreement mentality that does not exist and has been proven to be a fallacy. The pogroms was carried out by northerners on the Igbos and "if" i mean really if there were some mid-westerners or southerner's involved, It is a very negligible and insignificant amount.

Mallam Pharaoh, I’m sure you you’ve realized how pitifully wrong you are about IBB and the said PDP agreement. Hope you are big enough to correct your statement or restate it.

Concerning the last paragraph of your post, one can only conclude that you do not believe in democracy and you and your likes are part of the problems we have in this country. olodo
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by Dede1(m): 5:57pm On Dec 18, 2010
@ndu_chucks

I shall not disappoint you on this flame-throwing endeavor. You are right about “Araba” as many contributors only know about pogrom of 1966 and did know the Hausa vernacular name of the heinous act.

If you are true son of your father, you should have implied that Dede1 has unceremoniously started there were many northerners in the south of Nigeria masquerading as southerners. I can not say the number of southerners of non-Igbo, non-Ibibio, non-Annang, non-Ogoni, non-Ekoi and even non-Kalabari that joined the northerners in the orgy of murderous insanity in 1966. However, I can correctly speak about one Major Daramola, a Yoruba, who fully participated in the Araba.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 11:26am On Jun 25, 2017
Dede1:
@ndu_chucks

I shall not disappoint you on this flame-throwing endeavor. You are right about “Araba” as many contributors only know about pogrom of 1966 and did know the Hausa vernacular name of the heinous act.

If you are true son of your father, you should have implied that Dede1 has unceremoniously started there were many northerners in the south of Nigeria masquerading as southerners. I can not say the number of southerners of non-Igbo, non-Ibibio, non-Annang, non-Ogoni, non-Ekoi and even non-Kalabari that joined the northerners in the orgy of murderous insanity in 1966. However, I can correctly speak about one Major Daramola, a Yoruba, who fully participated in the Araba.

Those who are ignorant of their history may cause history to repeat itself.

The Igbos who live in the North today are armed to the teeth and any attempt by Northern youths to repeat "Araba" may be met with unexpected resistance which may cause the Army to do the bidding of the said youths.

The youths from both the South and the North have never seen war and as Mr. T used to say, I PITY THE FOOLS.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by APCsupporter: 11:30am On Jun 25, 2017
nduchucks:

Those who are ignorant of their history may cause history to repeat itself.

The Igbos who live in the North today are armed to the teeth and any attempt by Northern youths to repeat "Araba" may be met with unexpected resistance which may cause the Army to do the bidding of the said youths.

The youths from both the South and the North have never seen war and as Mr. T used to say, I PITY THE FOOLS.

Anybody that thinks igbos can fight hausas in the north needs to visit a doctor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 11:33am On Jun 25, 2017
APCsupporter:

Anybody that thinks igbos can fight hausas in the north needs to visit a doctor

You either did not read the post you responded to in its entirety or a comprehension issue may be in display.
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by OgaBuhari: 11:36am On Jun 25, 2017
nduchucks:

You either did not read the post you responded to in its entirety or a comprehension issue may be in display.
op the massacre of the igbos was in kano and not kaduna
Re: Araba - The Pre-civil War Massacre Of Ndigbo By Non-igbos In Kaduna by nduchucks: 11:38am On Jun 25, 2017
OgaBuhari:
op the massacre of the igbos was in kano and not kaduna

It is unfortunate that our educational institutions continue to fail you folks. The said Araba took place in Kaduna as well.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos State Governor's 2011 Budget Presentation / Nwando Achebe Makes Full Professor At Msu / Why Igbo Will Not Win Presidency In 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.