Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,392 members, 7,815,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

I Will Oppose Social Media Regulation And Hate Speech Bills - Sen. Oloriegbe - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I Will Oppose Social Media Regulation And Hate Speech Bills - Sen. Oloriegbe (398 Views)

Nitda's Data Protection Regulation And Loan Sharks - What You Must Know. / Hate Speech Bill; Issues And Concerns. / Whatsapp Hoax: There Isn't A Ministry Of Interior Regulation, And It's Not Tapp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Oppose Social Media Regulation And Hate Speech Bills - Sen. Oloriegbe by damilare442: 9:21pm On Nov 25, 2019
A Kwara based Civil group ENetSuD requested the Senator representing Kwara Central at National Assembly (Senator Ibrahim Yahaya Oloriegbe) to make his position known to his constituency members on the 2 controversial Bills (Social Media Regulation and Hate Speech Bills).

In a conversation that lasted for about 30 minutes, the Senator clearly said that the bills will be against the constitutionally-guaranteed freedom of expression for Nigerians.

Though he agreed that social media has some disadvantages, he noted that it has not gotten to the stage of such strict regulation as proposed by the Bill.

He said giving people the avenue to talk is very okay, as it has some medical, religious and political advantages.

Speaking further, he stated the following:

"The social media Bill explanations are extracted from countries that are not practicing full democracy. It is difficult for the Bill to scale through in the National Assembly. I can tell you majority are not in support".

"Why will you put serious penalties for social media and hate speech and leave serious offences with lighter penalties?"

"Regulating social media should not be our priority now. We should focus on job creation and empowerment for youths. If youths are gainfully employed, they will not have time to be addicted to social media".

He concluded that he is not in support of the Bills considering the fact that they are against the custom and social norms of the society he represents at the Senate (Ilorin).

https://kwaragist.com/i-will-oppose-social-media-regulation-and-hate-speech-bills-sen-oloriegbe/

Re: I Will Oppose Social Media Regulation And Hate Speech Bills - Sen. Oloriegbe by teadrake(m): 10:07pm On Nov 25, 2019
My correct Senator!
Re: I Will Oppose Social Media Regulation And Hate Speech Bills - Sen. Oloriegbe by jantofubu(m): 10:15pm On Nov 25, 2019
He should act...

Action speaks louder...
Re: I Will Oppose Social Media Regulation And Hate Speech Bills - Sen. Oloriegbe by udylah(m): 12:28pm On Nov 26, 2019
OPINION POLL:
Should the Federal Government regulate the use of Social Media in Nigeria as proposed in the social media bill?

#BeAwakened
#GetInvolved
#SayNoToSocialMediaBill
#SSDOProgram

https://twitter.com/theawakeningp/status/1199269614171181056?s=19

(1) (Reply)

Sen. Helen Esuene, Pride Of Ekid Nation - Epu / US Kills Soleimani, A Top Iranian General, In Strike On Baghdad Airport / How Ibori Laundered Unexplained Millions Of Pounds – Crown Prosecutor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.