Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,587 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

How True Ate These Igbo Cultures - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How True Ate These Igbo Cultures (332 Views)

Tiv & Igbo Cultures: Eye-opening Insights! / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True? / Biblical Igbo Cultures Before The Coming Of The Missionaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How True Ate These Igbo Cultures by mumumugu(m): 8:41am On Nov 27, 2019
A research
*I will pls appreciate if anyone from the South East can confirm and explain better. I got the interesting post from another Platform*
Ancient traditions of Ndigbo before the Biblical induction of Missionaries that came to Africa.
*1*. NSO NWANYI
In Igboland a woman lives apart from her husband and neither cook nor enter the husband’s quarters when she is in her period, she is seen as unclean. Till today such practice is still applicable in some parts of Igboland especially by the traditionalists.
Before a woman can enter the palace of Obi of Onitsha, she will be asked if she is in her period, if yes, she will be asked to stay out.
*Leviticus 15: 19-20*
When a woman is her monthly period, she remains unclean, anyone who touches her or anything she sat on becomes unclean.
*2*. ANA OBI
An Igbo man’s ancestral heritage, called “Ana Obi” is not sellable, elders will not permit this. If this is somehow done due to the influence of Western education, the person is considered a fool and is ostracized by the community.
*1 king 21:3*
I inherited this vineyard from my ancestors, and the Lord forbids that I sell it, said Naboth.
*3*. IKUCHI NWANYI
Igbos have practiced the taking of a late brothers wife into marriage after she had been widowed until the white men came. Now it is rarely done except in very rural villages.
*Deuteronomy 25:5*
A widow of a dead man is not to be married outside the family; it is the duty of the dead man's brother to marry her.
*4*. IGBA ODIBO
In Igboland, there is a unique form of apprenticeship in which either a male family member or a community member will spend 6 years (usually in their teens to their adulthood) working for another family. And on the 7th year, the head of the host household, who is usually the older man who brought the apprentice into his household, will establish (Igbo: idu) the apprentice by either setting up a business for him or giving money or tools by which to make a living.
*Exodus 21:2*
If you buy
Re: How True Ate These Igbo Cultures by SEGLIZ: 9:45am On Nov 27, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Transport Business Partner Needed / Top 10 Most Popular Gods And Goddess Of Ancient China / Lagos Assembly Wants Sites, Monuments Named After Colonial Masters Renamed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.