Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,391 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:26 AM

FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence (33502 Views)

FRSC Gives Condition For Use Of Google Map While Driving / Stop Using Google Map While Driving – FRSC Warns Nigerians. / Driver Covers Himself With Umbrella While Driving An Open-roof Benz In The Rain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by sleit: 6:22am On Nov 28, 2019
tsephanyah:
grin
What if we told you that The Alphabet Company created the Maps to alter Google's search algorithm so that when people looked up some Direction,' information about location—and not about Disney being cryogenically frozen—would come up?

Screen Rant notes that cigarettes used to be cropped out of Walt Disney's hands in an attempt to keep up with their family-friendly branding, so while creating a hit movie to mess with an internet algorithm sounds nutty, it kind of also makes sense.

And if it was intentional, the team over at The Alphabet and Walt Disney Company are geniuses.

I don't understand this.

But my interest is piqued. Can you break it down to my understanding?
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by chukwuka12: 6:25am On Nov 28, 2019
I don't think google map is problem, many don't know how to use it. Its not about looking at the directions on the phone... There is an audio that you simply need to listen to to turn left or right(many don't know that).

Speed limit.... Its to early.... We are nkr there yet
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by surgical: 6:27am On Nov 28, 2019
trinity227:
Lol �,, how does Google map directions cause accident You plug the auxiliary to the phone mic or Bluetooth... Phone is mounted on dash board... Where will the accident come from?

Nigeria authorities always making waves about things of less importance
Because we always manage to have wrong people in position of authority
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by chef22991578729(m): 6:31am On Nov 28, 2019
Nigeria
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Panther123: 6:31am On Nov 28, 2019
fergie1989:
The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora, says driving with the aid of Google Map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence.

NAN reports that Mr. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja on Wednesday.

According to him, the law forbids motorists from using mobile phones in any form while driving, as it can lead to an accident.

He also informed motorists that the corps will soon begin enforcement of installation of speed limiting devices.

Mr Gora advised motorists, especially commercial vehicle operators, who have yet to install the device to do so.

“We will embark on massive checks of vehicles without this device soon and arrest those that disconnected the devices from their vehicles.

“It is very important that all vehicles should have the device installed in their vehicles.

“The required speed limit for commercial vehicles even on the highways should not exceed 90 km/hr for buses and taxis.

“By doing this today, we are simply reminding motorists that they must drive with care and observe traffic rules and regulations in order to make the job very easy for all of us.

“If you are arrested this period, you will not just pay fines but must be taken for emotional evaluation test in the hospital to ascertain your mental fitness before we let go,” he said.

He urged the public to dial 122 or 112 in case they noticed unusual behaviour by road users and in the event of an accident.

Mr Gora debunked speculations that the speed limit device damages car engine, saying it had nothing to do with the engine, but only cut fuel supply during attempted speeding.

“Once the vehicle reaches a predetermined top speed, the computer steps in and restricts the flow of air and fuel to the engine and even the sparks that cause combustion.

“Either way, the vehicle will be unable to exceed the top speed as determined by the car’s manufacturer.

“The problem we have with the operators of these vehicles is that, when a speed limiting device has been installed, they tamper with it. In the process of tampering by disconnecting, it leads to a problem,” he added.

https://dailypost.ng/2019/11/27/stop-using-google-map-while-driving-frsc-warns-nigerians/amp/
there are just few directional signages in Abuja different from what we have in major cities like Jo'burg, New York and even Lagos. The major thing that will direct you is google map. Without that you are just driving by mere instincts, climbing bridge and coming down. I heard the same FRSC has been directed to award this contract and huge amount allocated but they are still rotating it around interests for easy embezzlement. FRSC lacks the moral justification to be taking about prohibition of google maps especially when it come to Abuja. Nigeria is the only place where you run with the hare and at the same time hunt with the hounds. I have never seen a place like this in any part of the world.
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by CaptainFM1: 6:35am On Nov 28, 2019
YorubaPrince:

Because Nigerians are foolish at utilizing it

Don't join words with people like that. You should have just asked him for proof of his statistics.
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by wirinet(m): 6:38am On Nov 28, 2019
Charleys:
How can you force people to use a speed limit device, is it in any law?

Who is sponsoring the use of that speed limit device?

Who is going to gain more by the installation of that speed limit device.?

Who imported the speed limit device and planned with the government to enforce it on people.?
Don't mind them, they have now replaced the national assembly, making laws as they like. Which Nigerian law makes the installation of speed limiting device mandatory, and for which category of vehicles?

Many modern cars comes with Google map and GPS installed, will FRSC also impound these cars and arrest their drivers? It is mandatory for taxi services like Uber and taxi taxify to have Google map on their car or phones, will they close these companies or arrest all their driver's?

2 Likes

Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 28, 2019
backnbeta:
They will arrest many Uber drivers undecided

It is targeted at the uber driver
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by uboma(m): 6:43am On Nov 28, 2019
Siberia01:
cool
that's a good one there
google maps has claimed 2 million lives in Nigeria
alone

How did you come about your statistics?
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by MichelleObama: 6:47am On Nov 28, 2019
USE OF PHONE TO ACCESS GOOGLE MAP APP WHILE DRIVING: FRSC'S TRUE POSITION

The attention of the Fede ral Road Safety Corps has been drawn to an online publication where the Sector Commander, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Corps Commander Wobin Ayuba Gora was quoted out of context on the use of google map app while driving, during the 2019 'Ember Months' flag off held in Lugbe, FCT on Wednesday.

According to the writer, the FCT Sector Commander while delivering his ember months address stated that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phone is a serious traffic offence.

The Corps wishes to state that the Sector Commander must have been misquoted and his statement outrightly misrepresented because the Federal Road Safety Corps as a technology driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of google map by motorists.

To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on use of phone while driving which the Sector Commander tried to emphasize during the flag off.

The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google map while driving must have it set on the phone before embarking on the journey, not while the vehicle is already in motion as this could be dangerous to the driver and other road users, and can lead to road traffic crash.

We say this because, available records have shown that use of phone for whatever purpose; be it text, voice calls, chats, browsing, setting google map to find location etc while driving could be distractive and can easily lead to loss of concentration. This has led to many road traffic crashes with attendant loss of lives and properties.

On the strength of this, the Federal Road Safety Corps wishes to reiterate its position on use of phone while driving as a dangerous and hazardous road traffic behaviour which has led to unwanted and avoidable road crashes.

We therefore call on all motorists who intend to deploy the use of google map on their phone especially during the festive season when traffic density is high, to activate such before setting the vehicle in motion so as to ensure 100 percent concentration on the wheels.

Road Safety is State of Mind, Road Traffic Crash is Absence of Mind. Stay Alert, Stay Alive! FRSC Cares for Your Safety.

Signed:

Bisi Kazeem FSI
Corps Commander
Public Education Officer
FRSC

1 Like

Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Owaincouncil: 6:48am On Nov 28, 2019
This people did not want me to go to anywhere in Lagos again. Without google map, I can't move in lagos.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by wirinet(m): 6:51am On Nov 28, 2019
uboma:

How did you come about your statistics?
No mind am, no be only 2 million lives, na 200 million lives. Ask am, how many cars de Nigeria?
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Kay25(m): 6:56am On Nov 28, 2019
I say Haafrica when will you grow?
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by delezac(m): 7:00am On Nov 28, 2019
Now I know that insanity is dominant in government agencies....
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by jaxxy(m): 7:01am On Nov 28, 2019
trinity227:
Lol �,, how does Google map directions cause accident You plug the auxiliary to the phone mic or Bluetooth... Phone is mounted on dash board... Where will the accident come from?

Nigeria authorities always making waves about things of less importance

Our law enforcement officers are either uneducated or misinformed. The way they talk smtmes is very embarrassing to say the least.

Another one said we must put speed limits in our personal vehicle. How is that their business Marvell’s me. They shud rather educate the state drivers on the speed limits legal for the state and let people comply. U can’t force anyone to buy or put a speed limit device in their cars.

We know how to find excuses to perpetuate our corruption.
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Nobody: 7:01am On Nov 28, 2019
YorubaPrince:
When you have fools and incompetent Bastards all over governmental agencies, this is what you get.
Aren't they aware of phone accessories meant for this purpose to make drivers focus more on the road... just the same way Navigations are manufactured into the cars.

Perhaps they'll also start arresting drivers making use of their inbuilt/factory-built navigation systems. angry

Incompetent Fools!

So pathetic. He needs his head checked more than the speeding drivers
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by sleek82(m): 7:03am On Nov 28, 2019
Charleys:
How can you force people to use a speed limit device, is it in any law?

Who is sponsoring the use of that speed limit device?

Who is going to gain more by the installation of that speed limit device.?

Who imported the speed limit device and planned with the government to enforce it on people.?
valid questions!

1 Like

Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by sleek82(m): 7:05am On Nov 28, 2019
Sukueponmalu:
9ja don tire me.
I’m moving back to my village
is your village in Mozambique? grin cheesy
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by passion007: 7:05am On Nov 28, 2019
Internetmaster7:
Why are Nigerians so backward? How does google map cause accidents?? If you go outside of Nigeria most of the drivers or car owners use google maps for directions if they are not familiar with some route(s), map shows directions and not cause accidents the major cause of accident is recklessness

Operating any device while driving is a cause of distraction, and hence accidents. Eyes on the road, always.

UK DVLA recommends your phone must be mounted on to a steady surface, which must be within your view, without you having to stare away to look at it. Dunno how easy it would be to implement this recommendation in Nigeria.
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Kakamorufu(m): 7:06am On Nov 28, 2019
Iranu. I go still use am when i wan drive enter Lagos. Mad peope
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Buffalo2(m): 7:09am On Nov 28, 2019
YorubaPrince:

@bolded.

Not everyone is based in 9ja. In the western part of the globe it's just 8:20pm in the Pacific and 10:20pm in the Midwest. Your mentality is very similar to these FRSC and other incompetent governmental agencies in 9ja. angry
grin grin grin
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by fkj950ax(m): 7:17am On Nov 28, 2019
It is a traffic offense ONLY if you are holding your phone in one hand while driving.

If you have an inbuilt GPS in your car, or a phone holder fixed to your dash or windscreen, you are fine.

An offense is an offense. Tagging it serious is just to ensure the bribe payable on the roads is high.

FRSC should know better than this in 2019... This is not 1819 or 1919 or even 1979, we are in 2019.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by geez18(m): 7:17am On Nov 28, 2019
Instead of educating the people on the safe usage of the google map, they are there spilling shit!

Why is incompetence the bane of this society? A technology used worldwide to the betterment of man is seen as retrogressive here. What is wrong with these people?
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Angeldada55(m): 7:18am On Nov 28, 2019
I tire for una o !!!

@trinity227 na only you talk well ; other locals before you just dey talk wetin dem no know.

I repeat ; who do una for this country sef ?

How "Google map" wan take cause accident ?

We don almost enter 2020 and una ( Naija ) sti dey one place.

Una dey go front at all ?

How come na only here " Google map " dey cause accident ?

Naija get plenty question to answer o.

Iffa talk now, pesin go say I no sabi.

1 Like

Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by fatytoy333(m): 7:20am On Nov 28, 2019
Siberia01:
cool
that's a good one there
google maps has claimed 2 million lives in Nigeria
alone
Are you being sarcastic with this comment ?
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Hoodbilonia: 7:21am On Nov 28, 2019
Lol.
When there is dashboard mount.
Dumb fool. Waiting dor the fay i will crush 3 of frsc officials at top speed. I dare u to stand in my way
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by Nukilia: 7:21am On Nov 28, 2019
YorubaPrince:
When you have fools and incompetent Bastards all over governmental agencies, this is what you get.
Aren't they aware of phone accessories meant for this purpose to make drivers focus more on the road... just the same way Navigations are manufactured into the cars.

Perhaps they'll also start arresting drivers making use of their inbuilt/factory-built navigation systems. angry

Incompetent Fools!

This is the level of incompetence experienced in every agency of government embarassed
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by goldman777: 7:22am On Nov 28, 2019
I think road safety should be disbanded and be inserted into a more needed new organization like a search and rescue corps we need them more effective and efficient than just constituting a nuisance on Nigerian roads
Re: FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence by YorubaPrince: 7:22am On Nov 28, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
Nigerian roads.
How can you dare to use Google Map while driving, do you know if our Yoruba people are having a party at the road?

Mental problem no be development, bros..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos : Accident Leads To Fight Between BRT Staff And Car Owner In Lagos / Do You Know A Thing About Those Mini-buses Called Korope / Tinted Permit:what Is The Cost In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.