Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,230 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Travel Within Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travel Within Africa (1181 Views)

Inter State Travel Within Nigeria: Hire A Car / Travel within Lagos, Nigeria / Africans Should Travel Within Continent Visa-free – Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travel Within Africa by Flique: 9:34pm On Nov 30, 2019
[b][/b][/size][size=8pt][center][/center]
Re: Travel Within Africa by Flique: 9:51pm On Nov 30, 2019
This will be the first time I am traveling to another African country other than the one I was born in, Nigeria. I don't usually like the hassle of applying for visas and waiting to get approval for a trip I plan to spend my hard-earned money on. So I decided Ghana as I didn't need to apply for visa. And this was how my trip played out. I took an ABC coach from Abuja to Lagos at the cost of N7,500. The coach was air conditioned, a plus on them, and wasn't filled tp the brim so I had two chairs to myself, another plus on them. We made stops at Gwagwalada, Lokoja, Okene, and Ibadan. Let me remind you, I haven't been to Ghana ever and don't know Adam in that country. I had made contact with a few friends so they could connect me with people there to show me round. However, it didn't exactly turn out like I planned. My friends don't seem to be making much friends, especially outside the shores they are used to lol. So I just had to dust my adventure shoes, put them on, and head out to the 'black' unknown. I did arm myself with some information, however, I went on nairaland.com and read as much as was available, which wasn't exactly much. I also made a search on Google and read a bit. The problem was not much was shared on the internet. I know people had been on such trips as mine but didn't bother to make known their experiences. Well, this one will be different; you will be informed every step of the way.

So after much pothole throdding, my coach/bus arrived Lagos at about 10pm. I then took a taxi to Lekki where I met up with a friend of mine. He got me a nice hotel room where I laid out my stuffs and went to bed. Next day I was at the ABC terminal to book my ticket to Accra. Paid N16,950 for a trip which is almost the same distance as going from Abuja to Lagos, if not less. The cocky gentleman who sold the ticket to me was a bit informative. He told me I had to board my vehicle at Amuwo-odofin. Right after then I ventured into Ikeja to find a spot to chill. And chill I did. 9pm and I was looking for a taxi to take me to my temporary home. It was a ride with so much urgency to pee all through. And kindly, or so I remember, I asked the driver to stop so I could pee while on the 3rd mainland bridge. He asked me to wait till we got somewhere pee-able lol. I was back to the car in two steps, I relaxed and was manoeuvred to Le Paris. Like it wasn't late already, I walked to the bar and asked to be made noodles. I had some and was off to my room.

If I hadn't asked the receptionist and the Uber guy to wake me at 5am, I would have forgotten myself in bed. The phone simmered a ring like a dream. With the continuous ring I woke up to answer the phone just as it was disconnecting. With a frenzied amnesia, I gathered myself and dashed to the washroom. Had a quick shower, packed my things, and was off to meet my drop vehicle. 13 mins was all it took me to do all these. In between I made a quick checkout and thanked the receptionist. I was greeted by a hoarse-sounding John, an obvious sign he was up way earlier than he planned. With only about 45mins to get there, he eased off in the dark but already busy Lagos dusk. Luckily we arrived at 5:55am. I walked into the park and was amazed to see how many people were there in. Few of them had slept at the terminal and were just waking up. Few more already roaming the hall, I could imagine inquiring about takeoff and pondering about the meaning of life. I found a seat next to a gentleman and gently engaged him in a conversation. It was short lived as he had to go. But then there was a lady sitting opposite me who was heading to Accra as well. She was going via a coach which cost her 15,500 while I was to be on the sprinter. We spoke a bit and had to check our luggage for inspection and tagging. Out to the vehicle and we were set to go. Hold on a min, it didn't go as quickly as I try to make it sound. For a trip that was supposed to begin at 6:15, we didn't leave the terminal till 7:35am. We then crawled through the morning traffic and city puddle till we got to the expressway. This was to be the beginning of a trip with so many veiling uncertainties. And check points.

At first it was the NDLEA. They randomly picked out 3 fellas from the vehicle and requested to see their luggage. One was found to have marijuana-looking debris in his pocket. It was one hell of a long wait before he was released to the bus. He was asked to sit on the ground and I believe had to speak all the languages local law enforcement could understand. Your guess is as good as mine- the money language. This was to be a sign of things to come; the dropping off the vehicle, and waiting. And border payments. At the Seme border, which had only a twine tied on two ends to control traffic, we waited a while to have our passports checked and stamped. As soon as we were in we were met by some thug-behaving ununiformed customs officers who searched the vehicle and luggage. They weren't quite pleased with something the old lady in the bus had in her possession. So they asked her to pay up, a token she wasn't pleased to depart with. She went off the bus and was engaged in battle of words which disappointingly resulted in her losing the equivalent of N200 in Cefa. She was bitter and bickering through most of the trip about her ordeal. After meandering through the puddle around the border most of the road ahead was tarred and smooth. This led us to the checkpoints within town and around the borders. Interestingly for every border you met, you'd have to present yourself for scrutiny on both sides; the country you were leaving and the one you were going into. Transversing through the Lagos/Seme, Benin/Togo, Lome/Ghana(Aflao) we finally arrived Ghana. At the Ghana border our luggages were checked and I changed some currency (dollars) from a guy the driver recommended. This proved to the most I could make from the dollars I had on me. For each one I made 4.35GHC. With the enthusiasm and confidence a few Cedis could offer one, I keenly observed the road and surroundings as we approached Accra. At about 8:30pm we arrived Accra. We met traffic at Tema which was quite frustrating. As soon as we arrived the park I walked down the street like I knew and owned it, ignoring all the taxi guys hailing. After a few meters I met a taxi and flagged and asked to be taken to Labadi. This was the beach part of town as I gathered from a conversation I had with one of the passengers on the bus. The first hotel he drove to was a bit sketchy so thought it wasn't safe for me. We drove to a few more which had prices between $250-500. Finally we arrived at Bethany Guest House where I paid 180GHC for the night. Next to it was Sussana Hotel which I went into to get some food. It cost me about 35GHC for a plate of boiled yams with fish sauce. I said my prayer, had my meal, and off I went to bed. Before bed I decided to do a video log but just as I was on there was power failure. The generator was started and there was light again! I think I did hear when it was turned off and switched. There was then a heavy downpour which continued till the morning.

Next morning I was up getting set to begin my tour. I checked out at about 12pm and got a taxi to the Labadi beach for 10GHC. I paid 5GHC to gain entrance and made it straight to the shore. I was greeted by a couple of vendors who were selling artworks. I later found out I had bought most of them expensive. The beach is not an option when it comes to purchasing beads, paintings, or anything. Food goes for about 20-40GHC and isn't usually the tastiest of meals. Besides eating and drinking, I went horse riding (20GHC), had a foot massage and manicure/pedicure (55GHC). A quad bike went past me and that got me interested. I had gone through the extent of the shore already and didn't see where I could be going on a quad bike, therefore I let it go but inquired how much it to take a ride. Kwame, who had been sitting next to me, said prices started from 20GHC. From then we continued in conversation and he told me of other places I could visit. Like I didn't know I concurred and asked if he could accompany me. He said 'I'm not doing anything at the moment, I'll take you'. So he abandoned the items he was selling and off to town we went. Our first port of call was the Kwane Nkurumah Mausoleum, but I needed cash so we took a taxi to a bureau de change which was close to the mausoleum. I convinced the fella behind the counter a dollar was going for 4.3GHC but he insisted he could only change for 4.2GHC. I was disappointed I couldn't get it the way I wanted but was too excited for what lies ahead of me. So we walked off and just next door was the mausoleum. We paid 10GHC to gain entry. The surrounding was lush and had fountains. Peahens and peacocks made alarming noises and other visitors took pictures of them. At the centre of the field was a statue of the man, Kwame Nkurumah, and right behind him his cenotaph. We went to his grave and next to his remains were that of his wife. The museum is just behind the cenotaph. It displayed items and pictures from the time of Kwame Nkurumah. I was fascinated by a copy of his PhD thesis which was displayed at the left side of the room and how much he achieved during his time. There were lots of texts to read from, but only skimmed through as much as a happy tourist would. Next stop was Oxford Street. Kwame said this was the busiest part of town and had lots of entertaining stuff. It was already getting late and I decided it was time to get a place to put up for the night. We went into Frankie's but the rates were too high, about $250 with a possible $30-40 discount. It was late and I was planning to be out in the morning. Would love to say it was cos it didn't make sense to pay so much but truth was I had no such money. The entire trip was budgeted for $500 and spilling half of that amount for a hotel didn't seem like a good idea. In no time we were on the street looking for other options. Accommodation was costlier in this part of town but not too far from Frankie's was Blue Royal Hotel. Lowest rate was $60 and that seemed a better deal. It was cozy enough and was accessible. So I dropped my items in a cupboard and saw Kwame off. Before I returned to the room I made a stop at the medicine store. I got a dewormer and flagyl (metronidazole). My tummy was beginning to feel unsure, I suspected the banku I had on the beach was either bad or my tummy was too fragile to handle it. Went back to the room, had a bath and had some rest. At about 10:30pm I went to the reception and asked where I could hang out for the night. He said I could visit Hot Gossip. That I did. Met girls from Congo, Nigeria, and Ghana, of course. Had a conversation with a few of them and realised they were all call girls. They were all over the white guys in the club likely because they felt they would pay them better. Out of curiosity I spoke to one of the prettiest girls in the club. She was tall, slim, and was really attractive. She said she collected 500GHC and wouldn't go any less. And this was a day of the week when business wasn't at its peak. I asked her the highest amount she's earned but she only giggled. We talked a bit more and I went unto the next lady; a gorgeously shaped dark-skinned Congolese dancer. She was not yet a professional I would say and could take less from a customer. With 100-150GHC she could make a man happier than he could imagine. I asked her for a dance and with 30GHC she twisted and enticed, allowing me to touch her as she did. When I finished my drink, I wasn't eager to get another for 13GHC so I slid out of the club quietly and took a taxi to my hotel room-it was too dark and too late to risk walking there. I slept like a child and when I blinked it was morning already.

That morning, I rang the restaurant for breakfast. The lady at the other end was repeating non-African meals and That didn't excite me. So I went out to find food. And that was the highlight of the day. So I went out looking for food. Discovered Papaye after a long walk. Filled my tummy to the brim and went to the ABC park to get my ticket back home. After then I paid 60GHC for a room at Princeway Hotel. The room had no functional AC and the door was not shutting properly. I got cranky about this and asked to be refunded so I can find another hotel. Well, before then I was visited by Ronke and her fiancé. Remember the lady I had a conversation with at the park at Amuwo-odofin? The one who offered me her scarf in case I got cold. I asked for her number and told her I would be visiting her. I sent her a text from the second day. She replied and informed me she was going to let me know when she'll be chanced to meet. I told them where I was and they paid me a visit. We had lovely conversation and they left. I got too uncomfortable in the room and decided to change hotels so was refunded 40GHC. I took a taxi and we randomly found Tesano Royal Hotel. Normal rates were 250GHC but got a discount of 30GHC. Spent the night there and was off at 6am for the ABC park. My trip back home was equally exciting as I had my cousin's wedding to think of. It had been a wonderful trip and I had no regrets for taking the adventure. I am hoping sooner or later I'd make my way to some other African country and let you know about it. In the mean time always remember, we have a lot more to share and know about as Africans than we realise. Let's strive to support our economy by investing and spending in it rather than taking out of the continent where it may not be appreciated.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travel Within Africa by youngsahito(m): 10:44pm On Nov 30, 2019
Flique:
This will be the first time I am traveling to another African country other than the one I was born in, Nigeria. I don't usually like the hassle of applying for visas and waiting to get approval for a trip I plan to spend my hard-earned money on. So I decided Ghana as I didn't need to apply for visa. And this was how my trip played out. I took an ABC coach from Abuja to Lagos at the cost of N7,500. The coach was air conditioned, a plus on them, and wasn't filled tp the brim so I had two chairs to myself, another plus on them. We made stops at Gwagwalada, Lokoja, Okene, and Ibadan. Let me remind you, I haven't been to Ghana ever and don't know Adam in that country. I had made contact with a few friends so they could connect me with people there to show me round. However, it didn't exactly turn out like I planned. My friends don't seem to be making much friends, especially outside the shores they are used to lol. So I just had to dust my adventure shoes, put them on, and head out to the 'black' unknown. I did arm myself with some information, however, I went on nairaland.com and read as much as was available, which wasn't exactly much. I also made a search on Google and read a bit. The problem was not much was shared on the internet. I know people had been on such trips as mine but didn't bother to make known their experiences. Well, this one will be different; you will be informed every step of the way.

So after much pothole throdding, my coach/bus arrived Lagos at about 10pm. I then took a taxi to Lekki where I met up with a friend of mine. He got me a nice hotel room where I laid out my stuffs and went to bed. Next day I was at the ABC terminal to book my ticket to Accra. Paid N16,950 for a trip which is almost the same distance as going from Abuja to Lagos, if not less. The cocky gentleman who sold the ticket to me was a bit informative. He told me I had to board my vehicle at Amuwo-odofin. Right after then I ventured into Ikeja to find a spot to chill. And chill I did. 9pm and I was looking for a taxi to take me to my temporary home. It was a ride with so much urgency to pee all through. And kindly, or so I remember, I asked the driver to stop so I could pee while on the 3rd mainland bridge. He asked me to wait till we got somewhere pee-able lol. I was back to the car in two steps, I relaxed and was manoeuvred to Le Paris. Like it wasn't late already, I walked to the bar and asked to be made noodles. I had some and was off to my room.

If I hadn't asked the receptionist and the Uber guy to wake me at 5am, I would have forgotten myself in bed. The phone simmered a ring like a dream. With the continuous ring I woke up to answer the phone just as it was disconnecting. With a frenzied amnesia, I gathered myself and dashed to the washroom. Had a quick shower, packed my things, and was off to meet my drop vehicle. 13 mins was all it took me to do all these. In between I made a quick checkout and thanked the receptionist. I was greeted by a hoarse-sounding John, an obvious sign he was up way earlier than he planned. With only about 45mins to get there, he eased off in the dark but already busy Lagos dusk. Luckily we arrived at 5:55am. I walked into the park and was amazed to see how many people were there in. Few of them had slept at the terminal and were just waking up. Few more already roaming the hall, I could imagine inquiring about takeoff and pondering about the meaning of life. I found a seat next to a gentleman and gently engaged him in a conversation. It was short lived as he had to go. But then there was a lady sitting opposite me who was heading to Accra as well. She was going via a coach which cost her 15,500 while I was to be on the sprinter. We spoke a bit and had to check our luggage for inspection and tagging. Out to the vehicle and we were set to go. Hold on a min, it didn't go as quickly as I try to make it sound. For a trip that was supposed to begin at 6:15, we didn't leave the terminal till 7:35am. We then crawled through the morning traffic and city puddle till we got to the expressway. This was to be the beginning of a trip with so many veiling uncertainties. And check points.

At first it was the NDLEA. They randomly picked out 3 fellas from the vehicle and requested to see their luggage. One was found to have marijuana-looking debris in his pocket. It was one hell of a long wait before he was released to the bus. He was asked to sit on the ground and I believe had to speak all the languages local law enforcement could understand. Your guess is as good as mine- the money language. This was to be a sign of things to come; the dropping off the vehicle, and waiting. And border payments. At the Seme border, which had only a twine tied on two ends to control traffic, we waited a while to have our passports checked and stamped. As soon as we were in we were met by some thug-behaving ununiformed customs officers who searched the vehicle and luggage. They weren't quite pleased with something the old lady in the bus had in her possession. So they asked her to pay up, a token she wasn't pleased to depart with. She went off the bus and was engaged in battle of words which disappointingly resulted in her losing the equivalent of N200 in Cefa. She was bitter and bickering through most of the trip about her ordeal. After meandering through the puddle around the border most of the road ahead was tarred and smooth. This led us to the checkpoints within town and around the borders. Interestingly for every border you met, you'd have to present yourself for scrutiny on both sides; the country you were leaving and the one you were going into. Transversing through the Lagos/Seme, Benin/Togo, Lome/Ghana(Aflao) we finally arrived Ghana. At the Ghana border our luggages were checked and I changed some currency (dollars) from a guy the driver recommended. This proved to the most I could make from the dollars I had on me. For each one I made 4.35GHC. With the enthusiasm and confidence a few Cedis could offer one, I keenly observed the road and surroundings as we approached Accra. At about 8:30pm we arrived Accra. We met traffic at Tema which was quite frustrating. As soon as we arrived the park I walked down the street like I knew and owned it, ignoring all the taxi guys hailing. After a few meters I met a taxi and flagged and asked to be taken to Labadi. This was the beach part of town as I gathered from a conversation I had with one of the passengers on the bus. The first hotel he drove to was a bit sketchy so thought it wasn't safe for me. We drove to a few more which had prices between $250-500. Finally we arrived at Bethany Guest House where I paid 180GHC for the night. Next to it was Sussana Hotel which I went into to get some food. It cost me about 35GHC for a plate of boiled yams with fish sauce. I said my prayer, had my meal, and off I went to bed. Before bed I decided to do a video log but just as I was on there was power failure. The generator was started and there was light again! I think I did hear when it was turned off and switched. There was then a heavy downpour which continued till the morning.

Next morning I was up getting set to begin my tour. I checked out at about 12pm and got a taxi to the Labadi beach for 10GHC. I paid 5GHC to gain entrance and made it straight to the shore. I was greeted by a couple of vendors who were selling artworks. I later found out I had bought most of them expensive. The beach is not an option when it comes to purchasing beads, paintings, or anything. Food goes for about 20-40GHC and isn't usually the tastiest of meals. Besides eating and drinking, I went horse riding (20GHC), had a foot massage and manicure/pedicure (55GHC). A quad bike went past me and that got me interested. I had gone through the extent of the shore already and didn't see where I could be going on a quad bike, therefore I let it go but inquired how much it to take a ride. Kwame, who had been sitting next to me, said prices started from 20GHC. From then we continued in conversation and he told me of other places I could visit. Like I didn't know I concurred and asked if he could accompany me. He said 'I'm not doing anything at the moment, I'll take you'. So he abandoned the items he was selling and off to town we went. Our first port of call was the Kwane Nkurumah Mausoleum, but I needed cash so we took a taxi to a bureau de change which was close to the mausoleum. I convinced the fella behind the counter a dollar was going for 4.3GHC but he insisted he could only change for 4.2GHC. I was disappointed I couldn't get it the way I wanted but was too excited for what lies ahead of me. So we walked off and just next door was the mausoleum. We paid 10GHC to gain entry. The surrounding was lush and had fountains. Peahens and peacocks made alarming noises and other visitors took pictures of them. At the centre of the field was a statue of the man, Kwame Nkurumah, and right behind him his cenotaph. We went to his grave and next to his remains were that of his wife. The museum is just behind the cenotaph. It displayed items and pictures from the time of Kwame Nkurumah. I was fascinated by a copy of his PhD thesis which was displayed at the left side of the room and how much he achieved during his time. There were lots of texts to read from, but only skimmed through as much as a happy tourist would. Next stop was Oxford Street. Kwame said this was the busiest part of town and had lots of entertaining stuff. It was already getting late and I decided it was time to get a place to put up for the night. We went into Frankie's but the rates were too high, about $250 with a possible $30-40 discount. It was late and I was planning to be out in the morning. Would love to say it was cos it didn't make sense to pay so much but truth was I had no such money. The entire trip was budgeted for $500 and spilling half of that amount for a hotel didn't seem like a good idea. In no time we were on the street looking for other options. Accommodation was costlier in this part of town but not too far from Frankie's was Blue Royal Hotel. Lowest rate was $60 and that seemed a better deal. It was cozy enough and was accessible. So I dropped my items in a cupboard and saw Kwame off. Before I returned to the room I made a stop at the medicine store. I got a dewormer and flagyl (metronidazole). My tummy was beginning to feel unsure, I suspected the banku I had on the beach was either bad or my tummy was too fragile to handle it. Went back to the room, had a bath and had some rest. At about 10:30pm I went to the reception and asked where I could hang out for the night. He said I could visit Hot Gossip. That I did. Met girls from Congo, Nigeria, and Ghana, of course. Had a conversation with a few of them and realised they were all call girls. They were all over the white guys in the club likely because they felt they would pay them better. Out of curiosity I spoke to one of the prettiest girls in the club. She was tall, slim, and was really attractive. She said she collected 500GHC and wouldn't go any less. And this was a day of the week when business wasn't at its peak. I asked her the highest amount she's earned but she only giggled. We talked a bit more and I went unto the next lady; a gorgeously shaped dark-skinned Congolese dancer. She was not yet a professional I would say and could take less from a customer. With 100-150GHC she could make a man happier than he could imagine. I asked her for a dance and with 30GHC she twisted and enticed, allowing me to touch her as she did. When I finished my drink, I wasn't eager to get another for 13GHC so I slid out of the club quietly and took a taxi to my hotel room-it was too dark and too late to risk walking there. I slept like a child and when I blinked it was morning already.

That morning, I rang the restaurant for breakfast. The lady at the other end was repeating non-African meals and That didn't excite me. So I went out to find food. And that was the highlight of the day. So I went out looking for food. Discovered Papaye after a long walk. Filled my tummy to the brim and went to the ABC park to get my ticket back home. After then I paid 60GHC for a room at Princeway Hotel. The room had no functional AC and the door was not shutting properly. I got cranky about this and asked to be refunded so I can find another hotel. Well, before then I was visited by Ronke and her fiancé. Remember the lady I had a conversation with at the park at Amuwo-odofin? The one who offered me her scarf in case I got cold. I asked for her number and told her I would be visiting her. I sent her a text from the second day. She replied and informed me she was going to let me know when she'll be chanced to meet. I told them where I was and they paid me a visit. We had lovely conversation and they left. I got too uncomfortable in the room and decided to change hotels so was refunded 40GHC. I took a taxi and we randomly found Tesano Royal Hotel. Normal rates were 250GHC but got a discount of 30GHC. Spent the night there and was off at 6am for the ABC park. My trip back home was equally exciting as I had my cousin's wedding to think of. It had been a wonderful trip and I had no regrets for taking the adventure. I am hoping sooner or later I'd make my way to some other African country and let you know about it. In the mean time always remember, we have a lot more to share and know about as Africans than we realise. Let's strive to support our economy by investing and spending in it rather than taking out of the continent where it may not be appreciated.

nice write up...bravo!!! how many days did you spent there and is it possible to travel out of Nigeria without a passport though I have my NIN card?
Re: Travel Within Africa by meobizy(f): 9:51am On Dec 01, 2019
This is a good write-up I’ll read in a while. Let me follow your example because it seems tourism in Nigeria is dead. All the sites I’ve visited so far are completely abandoned.
Re: Travel Within Africa by Flique: 6:54pm On Dec 03, 2019
Sorry for the late response. Spent about 5 days. Best to travel with a passport, might be possible to use other forms of identification. Passports don't cost much. You may not know when you'll need them. Strongly advise you keep one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travel Within Africa by Emmyk(m): 3:00am On Dec 04, 2019
Nice. cheesy
Re: Travel Within Africa by Leyqute(m): 7:52pm On Dec 31, 2019
Flique:

Thanks!

(1) (Reply)

How My Father Lost His Pilot License In 1985 / Multiple Accident At Awoyaya Inward Ajah - Graphic Pictures / Inside Nigeria's New $38 Million Dollar International Airport In Lagos(pics/vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.