Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,685 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Gadhimai: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ starts in Nepal after ban ignored - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gadhimai: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ starts in Nepal after ban ignored (409 Views)

World's Largest Active Volcano, Mauna Loa, Erupts In Hawaii ( Pics) / World's Largest Plane Destroyed By Russian Strikes In Ukraine / Trump Ignored Nancy Pelosi's Handshake Before She Tore His Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gadhimai: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ starts in Nepal after ban ignored by fergie001: 9:58am On Dec 03, 2019
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/12/gadhimai-nepal-prepares-mass-animal-sacrifice-outcry-191203031021298.html
lalasticlala mynd44 oam4j mukina2 osystein Seun

Thousands of Hindus gather in Bariyarpur for the festival said to be world's biggest animal slaughter ritual

Hindu worshippers began slaughtering thousands of buffalo on Tuesday as part of a religious ritual held every five years in southern Nepal, despite efforts to end the practice considered the world's biggest sacrifice of animals at any one site.

The Gadhimai Festival kicked off in the early hours amid tight security, with the ceremonial slaughter of a goat, rat, chicken, pig and a pigeon. A local shaman then offered blood from five points of his body.

Some 200 butchers with sharpened swords and knives then walked into a walled arena bigger than a football field that held several thousand buffalo as excited pilgrims climbed trees to catch a glimpse.

"The sacrifices have begun today... We had tried not to support it but people have faith in the tradition and have come here with their offerings," Birendra Prasad Yadav from the festival organising committee told AFP news agency.

Thousands of worshippers from Nepal and neighbouring India have spent days sleeping out in the open and offering prayers ahead of the event in Bariyarpur village, close to the Indian border.

"I believe in the goddess. My mother had asked her for the good health of my son," one of them, Rajesh Kumar Das, 30, told AFP, holding a goat in his hand.

Sabu Sahani, 25, who travelled with his family for a day from India's Bihar with a goat offering, said he was "happy to be here". "The goddess listened to me. We did not have children, but my wife has now given birth to a daughter," Sahani told AFP news agency.

An estimated 200,000 animals ranging from goats to rats were butchered during the last two-day Gadhimai Festival in 2014, held in honour of the Hindu goddess of power.

Many were hopeful the centuries-old tradition would end after the temple authorities announced a ban in 2015 and Nepal's supreme court directed the government to discourage the bloodshed a year later.

But animal rights activists say that government agencies and temple committees have failed to implement these rulings.

"The officials have let their personal beliefs rule over the court orders, they did not do enough to discourage the slaughters," animal rights activist Manoj Gautam said.

Local priest Mangal Chaudhary, the tenth generation of his family to serve at the temple, did not comment on whether the temple supports this year's mass sacrifice but said that the numbers in attendance are increasing.

"We will follow our traditions and perform the rituals in the temple. But what the devotees do outside is their own wish," he said.

Indian border authorities and volunteers have in recent days seized scores of animals being brought across the frontier by unlicensed traders and pilgrims, but this has failed to stop the flow.

According to legend, the first sacrifices in Bariyarpur were conducted several centuries ago when goddess Gadhimai appeared to a prisoner in a dream and asked him to establish a temple for her.

Re: Gadhimai: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ starts in Nepal after ban ignored by NavyBlue: 10:06am On Dec 03, 2019
Even rats grin poor animals
Re: Gadhimai: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ starts in Nepal after ban ignored by fergie001: 10:17am On Dec 03, 2019
Pix in same order:

All the animals to be sacrificed must be male

Before the ritual starts, the men carrying out the sacrifice pray at the temple in the early hours of the day

Around 5 million devotees flocked from Indian states of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and some parts of Nepal to take part in this festival at the temple of Gadhimai in Bariyarpur.

The first goat to be sacrificed at the temple is presented. After this the actual slaughtering begins.

1 Share

Re: Gadhimai: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ starts in Nepal after ban ignored by fergie001: 10:22am On Dec 03, 2019
Anyone can slaughter the animals, as long as they are Hindu. However, they need to get a license from the organising committee.

Pramiqa Shrestha, 20, a Nepali policewoman on duty. According to a security official, a 20,000-strong security force guards the festival.

The meat is sold by contractors to hotels, and the heads buried in a mass grave in honour of the goddess.

1 Share

Re: Gadhimai: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ starts in Nepal after ban ignored by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 03, 2019
World's largest animal sacrifice ? Really

Somebody seems to have forgotten about Bakrid
When millions of animals are sacrificed all over the world.

Case of usual amnesia when it comes to certain religions i guess . Nobody seem to care about animals then who are left to bleed to death. Not even killed in one stroke .
Re: Gadhimai: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ starts in Nepal after ban ignored by BlackfireX: 5:34pm On Dec 03, 2019
Religion

Man's invented problem

1 Like

Re: Gadhimai: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ starts in Nepal after ban ignored by mysticwarrior(m): 11:17pm On Dec 03, 2019
I was waiting to see if cows would be among the animals that were to be slaughtered, I guess I wasn't disappointed after all cos Hindus do not kill and eat cows.

(1) (Reply)

Brunei Has Made Celebrating Christmas A Criminal Offence / Have You Ever Seen Such A Sea Of Humanity In Your Life? Iran Minister Asks Trump / Remains Of 141 Genocide Victims Exhumed At Rwanda’s Airstrip (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.