Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,187 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

What Nigerians Must Learn From London Bridge Stabbing - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Nigerians Must Learn From London Bridge Stabbing (243 Views)

London Bridge Business School Honors Tom Ohikere With A Doctoral Award / What Nigerians Must Learn From London Bridge Stabbing / 5 Secret Life Lessons To Learn From The Chess Game - Become Successful In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Nigerians Must Learn From London Bridge Stabbing by Lydia696: 11:03am On Dec 03, 2019
WHAT NIGERIANS MUST LEARN FROM LONDON BRIDGE STABBING

I was watching a recap of Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick’s brief interview on the London Bridge stabbing some minutes ago and I gained the gusto to write this short piece, realizing that since the incident, she, Simon Steven who is head of the National Health Service and Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London are the only public office holders who have given elaborate public address on the issue.
So why has PM Boris Johnson who tweeted to praise the commuters who held down the suspect before the arrival of police not said anything elaborate about it? Why has he not come to address the nation? Did the Queen not hear about it? Have you wondered why she hasn’t issued a statement yet?

One thing I’ve noticed amongst others since I moved to the UK is that the people don’t blame everything on the Prime Minister. They hold other office holders accountable like the Mayor, in fact, especially the Mayor unlike back in Nigeria where we hold the President responsible for everything.
In all candor the people are not in any way willing to be accountable for anything, a Nigerian could beat the lights, endangering his own life and that of his passengers’ and still mutter beneath his breath, “if not for Buhari there won’t be traffic”.
But I have also come to the realization that this mental laziness stems largely from ignorance, some of these people truly do not know; it is my explanation for the tons of misdirected agitations and protests that I have witnessed back home in Nigeria.

Why did President Buhari not come out to say something about the major market that caught fire in Lagos? Why did he ‘ignore’ the skirmish between the Nigerian Police and the Army?
Certain folks have been locked up by certain security agencies, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo is a lawyer, why is he not pushing for their release? It’s simple, he is not the DG or spokesperson of those agencies. Let’s hold the DGs of DSS, NIA, etc responsible for their actions.
For every functioning system there is the structure, the organization and a hierarchy. As it works in the various establishments where we work is about the same way it works in governance. You don’t put a call through to the chairman before stationery gets restocked, and when there’s been a spat between two employees, the Chief Executive Officer doesn’t necessarily have to hear about it where there’s a Head of Department.

Protocol and process are words Nigerians need to get familiar with, it’ll do everyone a great deal of good knowing who they are to call when the occasion demands it; you don’t put your Vice President on blast for unlawful detention of activists when the Department of State Security has a Director-General who is responsible for its affairs, that’s apex-level ignorance and perhaps until we learn this, our rightful outbursts will keep getting treated like a needle in a haystack.
God bless Nigeria.

Bosun Olaleye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Nigerians Must Learn From London Bridge Stabbing by Arubajagz: 11:09am On Dec 03, 2019
We need to learn how to behave as citizens under a democracy. It starts with knowing who is responsible for what in the system of public office holders.
We are still in a hangover from military era where one man held all the aces. Now we must understand democracy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Nigerians Must Learn From London Bridge Stabbing by ojokolax: 11:26am On Dec 03, 2019
The buck has a couple of stops before it gets to the top, We as a people need to identify these stops and hold everyone accountable. We don't simply elect officials to go slice off pieces of the national cake, they need to ensure that we are served optimally. Every single one of them
Re: What Nigerians Must Learn From London Bridge Stabbing by Shooyie: 12:05pm On Dec 03, 2019
I get confused myself when all that happens in Nigeria gets tied to the President and Vice President. We need to know offices and their responsibilities.

(1) (Reply)

Ifykess Talk On Lie Lie Nigerians Abroad / Use Solar Light ,radio & Powerbank, Dont Waste Money On Gen Avoid Disco Strike / Nigerian Man Who Went Into Coma A Day After His Traditional Wedding Dies 6 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.