Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

IMF Says Nigeria To Have ‘Exceptionally High’ 2010 GDP Growth - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / IMF Says Nigeria To Have ‘Exceptionally High’ 2010 GDP Growth (691 Views)

The 15 Fastest Growing Economies In Africa 2016 — IMF / Nigeria GDP Confirms What Central Bank Denies: Naira Hurts / Crude Oil Price Could Fall To $20 In 2016 – IMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IMF Says Nigeria To Have ‘Exceptionally High’ 2010 GDP Growth by koruji(m): 7:15pm On Nov 24, 2010
November 24, 2010, 11:19 AM EST

Nov. 24 (Bloomberg) -- The International Monetary Fund said Nigeria’s economic growth is expected to be “exceptionally high” this year thanks to a “strong recovery” in oil production and growth in other sectors.

Still “inflation remains stubbornly high and international reserves continue to fall as the authorities support the exchange rate,” W. Scott Rogers, the IMF mission chief for Nigeria, said in an e-mailed statement today in Washington.

The IMF recommended the country’s central bank “conduct monetary policy with a view to reducing inflation to a single- digit level,” according to the statement.

--Editor: Kevin Costelloe

To contact the reporters on this story: Sandrine Rastello in Washington at srastello@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Wellisz at cwellisz@bloomberg.net.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-11-24/imf-says-nigeria-to-have-exceptionally-high-2010-gdp-growth.html
Re: IMF Says Nigeria To Have ‘Exceptionally High’ 2010 GDP Growth by Beaf: 7:22pm On Nov 24, 2010
This is great news! We need to create a formula to make GDP growth felt by the common man; that would mean creating opportunities for different types of business from entertainment to high tech to flourish and employ people; it would also mean creating avenues for the masses to obtain the necessary skills for job mobility and satisfaction.
I expect our growth rate to be close to, or more than 10%. We have been one of the Worlds fastest growing economies for some time now.
Re: IMF Says Nigeria To Have ‘Exceptionally High’ 2010 GDP Growth by ladi02(m): 7:41pm On Nov 24, 2010
I'm actually starting to believe our economy is growing. . .interesting!

Kudos to Soludo, Okonjo Iweala & others that put the economy on this path
Re: IMF Says Nigeria To Have ‘Exceptionally High’ 2010 GDP Growth by courage89(m): 7:48pm On Nov 24, 2010
I actually believe Nigeria is one of the fastest growing economy in the world. Judging from the inflow of FDI, level of development in the area of Agriculture, Oil and gas, Construction, power and all. This also just attest to that fact.
Re: IMF Says Nigeria To Have ‘Exceptionally High’ 2010 GDP Growth by slap1(m): 7:59pm On Nov 24, 2010
^^^ Well I'm yet to see whatever it is you guys are jubilating for.
Re: IMF Says Nigeria To Have ‘Exceptionally High’ 2010 GDP Growth by homerac7: 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2010
I feel very bad every time I see ds kind of half truths being thrown at our faces. It looks more like mockery dn commendation to me. Why?

Truly, d GDP is rising due to higher increase in production of crude oil and very high market value for it. Also, d sustained high price of agricultural commodities in d international market. These two areas hav upped d national income very much dt we hav more to spend on construction, services and other sectors. But y has dt not translated into improved living condition for d common man?

Unfortunately, d real sector isn't exactly virile. D petroleum and agricultural sectors albeit part of real sectors dt r earning big currently aren't true reflectors of what are happening there. D petroleum sector is no doubt expanding due to relative peace in ND, while agricultural sector growth is being potrayed from its earnings wc is purely due to commodities process rise and not expansions in d sector itself. Ds sectors earn majorly from exported primary produces and loose most of d higher income attendants wt value addition.

Power is still epileptic as many industries can't run their processes on public utilities in order not to risk such fragile processes dt r sensitive to power cuts.

Roads r bad and rail is non functional for haulage thus making goods and services disribition costly.

Generally, infrastructures r in terrible or non existent states thus making business sustainance costly or on many cases unprofitable. Multiple taxation is another devil in a long list of problems of running businesses in Nigeria.

When we talk national economy, I believe we mean such activities of d populace dt involves exchange of goods and services and how it affects their welfare. But unfortunately, d SMEs hardly come into d equation of d newspaper headlines as ds thread topic. If u d reader has an acquaintance dt runs a SME in Nigeria, ask him how d report has reflected in business for him/her and c how he laughs off at u.

D report is shallow and conservative. D truth will b in a detailed macroeconomic analysis.

It's only a cosmetics surgery on true picture of our terrible economic performance. It's a travesty at best, I advise dt we don't swallow it hook, line and simmer.
Re: IMF Says Nigeria To Have ‘Exceptionally High’ 2010 GDP Growth by 9ijaMan: 9:21pm On Nov 24, 2010
homerac7:

I feel very bad every time I see ds kind of half truths being thrown at our faces. It looks more like mockery dn commendation to me. Why?

Truly, d GDP is rising due to higher increase in production of crude oil and very high market value for it. Also, d sustained high price of agricultural commodities in d international market. These two areas hav upped d national income very much dt we hav more to spend on construction, services and other sectors. But y has dt not translated into improved living condition for d common man?

Unfortunately, d real sector isn't exactly virile. D petroleum and agricultural sectors albeit part of real sectors dt r earning big currently aren't true reflectors of what are happening there. D petroleum sector is no doubt expanding due to relative peace in ND, while agricultural sector growth is being potrayed from its earnings wc is purely due to commodities process rise and not expansions in d sector itself. Ds sectors earn majorly from exported primary produces and loose most of d higher income attendants wt value addition.

Power is still epileptic as many industries can't run their processes on public utilities in order not to risk such fragile processes dt r sensitive to power cuts.

Roads r bad and rail is non functional for haulage thus making goods and services disribition costly.

Generally, infrastructures r in terrible or non existent states thus making business sustainance costly or on many cases unprofitable. Multiple taxation is another devil in a long list of problems of running businesses in Nigeria.

When we talk national economy, I believe we mean such activities of d populace dt involves exchange of goods and services and how it affects their welfare. But unfortunately, d SMEs hardly come into d equation of d newspaper headlines as ds thread topic. If u d reader has an acquaintance dt runs a SME in Nigeria, ask him how d report has reflected in business for him/her and c how he laughs off at u.

D report is shallow and conservative. D truth will b in a detailed macroeconomic analysis.

It's only a cosmetics surgery on true picture of our terrible economic performance. It's a travesty at best, I advise dt we don't swallow it hook, line and simmer.

Gbam!

The report should actually be seen as an indictment of GEJ's administration. GDP is rising yet infrastructural development is heading southward. Anyone in his right senses will know that there is nothing to celebrate.

(1) (Reply)

Softel Networks Limited / Advert Rates / Palm Oil Factories Contact Needed From Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.