Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,903 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG (375 Views)

We Can’t Give You A New Constitution, Senate Tells Nigerians / Federal Highways Enlisted For Privatization, 75 Companies Apply / We Will Not Collapse Amotekun Into Community Police ― Akeredolu tells IG (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:49pm On Dec 05, 2019
The Senate has appealed to the Inspector General of Police , Mohammed Adamu, to reduce the number of checkpoints on Federal Highways in the country .
This was contained in a statement signed by the Special Assistant ( Press) to President of the Senate, Ezrel Tabiowo, on Thursday.
This, according to the Senate, has become necessary to reduce the gridlock on the roads .
The upper chamber also urged Adamu to direct officers of the Police Force to eschew all forms of extortion while carrying out stop and search to establish the validity of vehicle particulars.

The Senate said it “ appeals to the Inspector General of Police to as a matter of urgency review the number of checkpoints on Lagos -Onitsha federal highway with a view to scaling them down and all other federal highways in the country not only as a result of the coming Yuletide festivities but all times from now going forward .
“ Further appeal to the IGP to direct his men on the road checkpoints to wear human face while attending to the motoring public and eschew all forms of extortion as is commonly alleged , while carrying out stop and search and the establishment of the validity of the vehicle particulars of vehicle owners. ”
The resolutions were reached following the consideration of a motion brought to the floor by Senator Chukwuka Utazi (PDP , Enugu North ) .
According to the statement, Utazi , coming under order 42 and 52 of the Senate standing rules , in his motion titled “ National Security versus Disproportionate Road Checkpoints on Federal highways in the country ” , said that the national security architecture of Nigeria has been stretched beyond its elastic limits .
He said that acts of criminalities have put untold pressure on the country ’s national security architecture, necessitating and compelling security agencies to confront security breaches headlong .
Utazi noted that while roadblocks are necessary to curb criminal activities , its abuse for unintended purpose is reprehensible .
The Senate also appealed to “ the Federal Road Maintenance Agency, FERMA in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing to as a matter of urgency give face lift to all federal highways in order to ease free flow of traffic especially in this Yuletide season .

Source: https://punchng.com/reduce-checkpoints-on-federal-highways-senate-tells-ig/

Re: Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by SLAP44: 7:50pm On Dec 05, 2019
It's just funny, in the south east where there is no record of serious crimes and no war, where the natives are peaceful and hard working, you will see so many checkpoints as if they are trying to stop your movements or stop you from doing business.

You will see a checkpoint, another one less than two hundred meters and yet another further down, all seeing themselves, all checking what you don't know, all searching passengers, all harassing motorists and delaying traffic.

Nigeria enh!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by Payperboii(m): 7:52pm On Dec 05, 2019
E
Re: Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by adzone: 7:54pm On Dec 05, 2019
Long overdue, interstate travels and you'll be seeing over 20+ checkpoints, are we in a war zone?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by hisgrace090: 8:42pm On Dec 05, 2019
This call I'll anoy the IG of police but who cares?
Re: Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by ZombieTERROR: 8:46pm On Dec 05, 2019
adzone:
Long overdue, interstate travels and you'll be seeing over 20+ checkpoints, are we in a war zone?

I once traveled from Lagos to Asaba
Believe me ... I lost count of the checkpoints

Even those in war situations don't experience such

1 Like

Re: Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by ursullalinda(f): 9:15pm On Dec 05, 2019
From Lagos to Onitsha is nightmare.....from ph to owerri is torture.....from PH to Aba hmmmm.....story for another day.....Pls they urgently need to do something about it......the extortion is ten much
Re: Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 05, 2019
Go to south east, even inside villages, they are there extorting money
They lobby to be posted to south east. In less than 3 months, u will start seeing beer belle.
Re: Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by helinues: 9:17pm On Dec 05, 2019
In support.. It should be reduced truly
Re: Reduce Checkpoints On Federal Highways, Senate Tells IG by adzone: 10:48pm On Dec 05, 2019
ZombieTERROR:

I once traveled from Lagos to Asaba
Believe me ... I lost count of the checkpoints

Even those in war situations don't experience such
it's rather unfortunate

(1) (Reply)

Again, Court Grants Fayose Leave To Travel Abroad For Treatment / Court Orders AMCON To Pay N26.5B To Ifeanyi Ubah's Firm / Buhari; Punch Newspaper Calls Him "Major General". I Call Him "Anikulapo"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.