Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

4 Smart Ways To Prevent Fainting - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 4 Smart Ways To Prevent Fainting (332 Views)

Nurse Collapse After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (Video of her fainting) / NDDC: Goat For Salah Don Learn Fainting Skill Too / How To Prevent Heart Attack At Any Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

4 Smart Ways To Prevent Fainting by Wearabletech: 4:07pm On Dec 06, 2019
I don’t know who told Africans that if a person faints, they should pour water on the person. Here is an incident that occurred one Saturday a few months ago, my friend, Oghenero, was being dressed and made up for her wedding. We were in a small, supposedly cozy hotel room. The members of the bridal train (10 ladies, including me) were getting dressed too, looking for shoes, eyeliner and the likes.

“Make una open window na,”(let’s open the windows) I said, vigorously fanning myself to preserve my makeup.

“The AC go dey escape.”(The cold air would escape) Ejiro’s sister, Oghenemairo retorted.

“AC wen no dey blow. See as I dey sweat.”(‘’The AC isn’t working optimally. Look as am sweating’’)

The look she threw me was quite threatening. Hmmm…

I kept quiet o. I know as Oghenemairo body take dey hot, I no get her power.(I kept quiet. I know how hot tempered Oghenemairo is, I didn’t not have the strength to argue with her)

A few minutes later, Oghenemairo started to fan her face with her blush brush. “Eye dey turn me o.” (My eyes are turning) she said.

“You don chop so?”(‘’Have you eaten?’’) Her sister, the bride, asked.

“Yes na. No be me and you chop together?” (‘’Yes, didn’t you and I eat together?’’)

“Open window, this AC no dey work.” (open the windows, this AC isn’t working)I repeated.

“Come no dey do nurse thing for here, I take Oghene beg you.” (stop all this your nursing procedures, I beg of you) Oghenemairo retorted.

Almost immediately, she fell to the ground. She’d fainted.

“Ahh…Mairo! Bring water! Bring water!” Someone shouted.

I rushed to the windows and threw them open. It didn’t seem to be enough. So I asked for the help of one of the other ladies to bring her outside to the balcony.

“What of the water?” Someone asked.

“She doesn’t need water. She needs air.”

When a person faints, especially in a crowded place, it is usually due to hypoxia (deficiency of oxygen in the brain). Another common cause is hypoglycemia; which would require the use of sugars for resuscitation. Splashing water over the person’s face, further deprives oxygen from been respired. It could cause suffocation.

WHAT CAUSES SYNCOPE (FAINTING)?
A sudden drop in heart rate and blood pressure leads to fainting, often in reaction to a stressful trigger. Depending on the cause, this condition is uusually self-treatable as it doesn’t require any serious medical procedure for resuscitation. Exposing the patient to fresh air is the first step to resuscitation, create space and increase ventilation in the area around the person. Fainting is usually self-diagnosable, before the actual incidence; the patient would experience certain indications that such a thing is about to occur. However, it is worthy of that this warning signs and symptoms are usually ignored.

WHAT ARE THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF FAINTING?
The signs and symptoms vary depending on the individual; generally, the commonest signs as it applies to the whole body include: collapsing, light-headedness, dizziness, low blood pressure, fatigue, or sweating. Some signs are more specific to the circulatory system (Heart) example: rapid heart rate, palpitations, or slow heart rate, also common are: blurred vision, fear/anxiety, nausea, or pallor.

HOW IS SYNCOPE PREVENTED? (PRECAUTIONS)
Fainting can be prevented if you hid to the early warning signs such as dizziness, nausea, or sweaty palms. However, if you have had a history of a fainting spell and your cognisant of your body’s signals there is great chance of averting the situation.

If you notice you are about to faint do the following:

Move away from the crowded area immediately.
Lie down straight away.

Contract your limbs or cross your legs; these actions can increase venous blood return to the brain and shun further blood supply to limbs thereby preventing a drop in blood pressure and consequently cubing the fainting spell.
Reflexively raise or brace up your legs in the air. This action can also reduce your chances of fainting by returning more blood to your brain and breathing centres of your body.

If you are nurse, doctor or just a Good Samaritan attending to someone who has fainted:
Help the person lie down and lift his or her legs up in the air. This will restore blood flow to the brain, and the person should quickly regain consciousness. The person should lie down for a little while afterwards.

Continue reading..... shocked shocked shocked

https://smaartcollections.com/how-to-manage-syncope-4-smart-ways-to-preven/

1 Share

Re: 4 Smart Ways To Prevent Fainting by angelEmade: 4:23pm On Dec 06, 2019
Informative....

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Stooling Blood / Swisderm Health And Skincare/opportunity / Lagos Beauty: Rise Of The Taboo Plastic Surgery In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.