Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,678 members, 7,865,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 02:12 AM

Nigerian Girl Honoured In Britain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Girl Honoured In Britain (581 Views)

Photos: Goodluck Jonathan Honoured In Geneva By Circle Of Diplomats / Goodluck Jonathan Honoured in Atlanta by the SCLC / Nigeria Police Officers Honoured In Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Girl Honoured In Britain by supereagle(m): 12:07pm On Nov 25, 2010
The Nigerian High Commission in the United Kingdom has honoured Miss Chidera Ota who excelled in the 2010 GCSE in the UK with 15 As, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Ota, 16, garnered the highest grades in English Literature and English Language; Mathematics, Statistics, French, German, Latin, History, Sociology, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and IT qualifications equivalent to three GCSEs.

Nigeria’s Acting High Commissioner to the UK, Ambassador Dozie Nwanna, described the girl’s feat as exemplary and highly commendable.

“You have wiped our face and brought pride and honour not only to your parents but to the country and other Nigerians living in the UK,” Nwanna said on Tuesday.

He said Nigeria was full of talents and outstanding personalities who continued to excel in various fields at home and abroad, making them deserving of recognition and celebration.

Also, the Head of Chancery, Mr. Ahmed Umar, said the initiative to honour Ota was a further attestation to the high commission’s policy of recognising and celebrating Nigerian achievers in the UK.

Ota, who wants to become a medical doctor, said she studied Latin twice a week during her lunch breaks to meet up with the challenges.

“I stayed home a lot and put in a lot of work for my GCSEs because I want to become a doctor though I know it is a very hard and competitive field, and I know I need to do extremely well to get into medicine,” she said.

Ota has already secured a scholarship to attend King’s School in Canterbury where she will study Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mathematics and Further Mathematics at A-levels.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201011252215754
Re: Nigerian Girl Honoured In Britain by supereagle(m): 12:10pm On Nov 25, 2010
If she were in Naija, she may not achieve that easily.
Re: Nigerian Girl Honoured In Britain by Emmyk(m): 1:20pm On Nov 25, 2010
Bravo *ovation*
Re: Nigerian Girl Honoured In Britain by slap1(m): 1:36pm On Nov 25, 2010
supereagle:

She won't achieve it at all.
Re: Nigerian Girl Honoured In Britain by edoyad(m): 1:47pm On Nov 25, 2010

She would be selling recharge cards and pure water cos teachers are on strike.
Re: Nigerian Girl Honoured In Britain by excanny: 2:03pm On Nov 25, 2010
slap1:

She won't achieve it at all.
supereagle:

What are you folks talking? You mean no one can score good grades in Nigeria or what? I had a lot of kids i know that did 9 straight A1s in their WASC. The country is bad, but not everything. BTW, Madam Minister for Information said you guys should STOP using the word 'naija'. Compredez?
Re: Nigerian Girl Honoured In Britain by VALIDATOR: 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2010
excanny:

What are you folks talking? You mean no one can score good grades in Nigeria or what? I had a lot of kids i know that did 9 straight A1s in their WASC. The country is bad, but not everything. BTW, Madam Minister for Information said you guys should STOP using the word 'naija'. Compredez?
We've been using the word Nigeria for 96 years now (since 1914 or so) and it's not been favorable. Compredez?

(1) (Reply)

This Might Be A Reality check For Imo State Gov. Ohakim / Between Jonathan, Atiku And The Rest Who Is Better To Lead? / Lagos Pdp Has Learnt Its Lesson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.